Hey anyone know how to increase your picking hand speed?I can get pretty fast on the fretboard but my picking hand is always lagging my other hand.I keep on getting notes muffled,played wrong,off beat cause of my picking hand's speed.Any tips or advice on how to get it to play faster and pick notes quickly,Any specific kinds of excercises?
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Last edited by xvasmx at Aug 9, 2008,
Practice.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Quote by XDream_TheaterX
Practice.

It's not just practice. It's also about focusing on what you're doing.
Quote by xvasmx
Hey anyone know how to increase your picking hand speed?I can get pretty fast on the fretboard but my picking hand is always lagging my other hand.I keep on getting notes muffled,played wrong,off beat cause of my picking hand's speed.Any tips or advice on how to get it to play faster and pick notes quickly,Any specific kinds of excercises?

You're approaching this all wrong....your fretting hand isn't "faster" than your picking hand, neither is the picking hand slower. Your problem is that you can't use them together very well and you're trying to play too fast. You need to focus on synchronizing your two hands with any exercises you do.

Speed is the least important aspect of guitar playing, it baffles me why so many people obsess over it. Focus on playing accurately, if you do that you'll gradually get faster.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Most people will say practice with a metronome going up the major scale modes whilst using alternate picking.

I might add I do this going Verticly (1 string) and then horinzantally (all 6 or 7 strings).
Then ill switch modes untill i do all 7.
Its a stupid little practice is do every now and then.
As said before, SPEED is a byproduct of ACCURACY.
Focus on what you're doing to every minute detail and play at about 20 BPM, that helps me alot.
thanks for everyone that replied realy helped me considering i was looking at everything all wrong x_x
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
just take everything really slowly and work on technique, practising for hours goin as fast as you can with a bad technique is gunna be worse that practising with a good picking technique for half as long
POST FINDER
Seagull wins the internet again.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Remember, Only Go As Fast As You Can With Great Accuracy, Then Steadily You Will get Faster Yet Retain Accuracy.
Eventually youlle get it down gret