So far, I've been deciding between the Peavey ValveKing and, as of finding and learning more about them today, Bugera combos.

Versatile enough to have a good alternative metal/industrial tone (like Broken era NIN, Tormented era Staind, and any heavy Deftones song), a Nirvana grungy tone mixed in with the atmosphere of shoegaze, and of course crystal clear clean (which I have a chorus pedal to enhance).

I love the Bugera 333 (or 333XL) for having three channels, of which I could use to have the three tones I desire.
The ValveKing (either 112 or 212) because it was previously my decision after hearing muchabout its versatility and tones for a cheaper tube combo, which I've found many sayin g the same about the Bugeras, some even saying specifically that they sound better than the ValveKing. But the ValveKing has only two channels, which I could deal with, and have heard many suggestions of getting new speakers installed and using an OD (not sure if this is also the case for the Bugera, depending on which stock sounds better). With the Bugera's third, lead channel, I may not need an OD.

I have not tried either of these amps other than looking at YouTube videos posted online. And this would be my first tube amp, an upgrade from a crappy solid state.
Last edited by Eternium at Aug 9, 2008,
i have tried the VK, but not the Bugera, but the VK seems very crunchy, nice for classic rock, it has very nice cleans and especialy nice with effects, but may need an OD to add a little gain. i thought it was an excellent amp

dont get me wrong, the VK does have a considerable amout of gain, its just that if you want extreme metal a good OD is a good idea

VK = great classic rock, excellent cleans with efx, and hard rock. OD for metal tho
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Aug 9, 2008,
Quote by bjovi400
i have tried the VK, but not the Bugera, but the VK seems very crunchy, nice for classic rock, it has very nice cleans and especialy nice with effects, but may need an OD to add a little gain. i thought it was an excellent amp

dont get me wrong, the VK does have a considerable amout of gain, its just that if you want extreme metal a good OD is a good idea

VK = great classic rock, excellent cleans with efx, and hard rock. OD for metal tho

The VK is a LOT more popular and well known, partly because Bugera is a new name for amplifiers, so I expect people to know more about them. Neither Musician's Friend or Guitar Center sells them (not counting used ones).
I wonder how long until someone who actually knows about the Bugeras comes along.
Dude, the Valveking, IMO, has alot of distortion but I guess may not be enough for some people. I've never tried the Bugera amps, but I'll have to check it out.
Quote by Dimebag Bill
Dude, the Valveking, IMO, has alot of distortion but I guess may not be enough for some people. I've never tried the Bugera amps, but I'll have to check it out.

For me, it's just wanting to have the kind of bottom end and distortion that will get people excited, want to jump around, mosh, headbang, etc. even if I'm not playing fast, which I would rarely do, just not my style.
Best example is Hexagram by Deftones, with the quieter, clean beginning, but when the distortion kicks in, your head wants to move with it, so powerful.
The funnest concerts really are those types of bands, even if they're not a favorite. I want to be fun when I play.
Btw, don't think that's the only reason I want that tone, I also just love the sound, and I will also be mixing in many different styles and textures, the reason I want to have three channels.
the valveking has 3? and a footswitch. with the gain and the cleans.

i believe the VK has clean, crunch, and ultra?? i think? its been a while since i played on the stack
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400
the valveking has 3? and a footswitch. with the gain and the cleans.

i believe the VK has clean, crunch, and ultra?? i think? its been a while since i played on the stack

No, it only has two, plus the gain and volume boost on the distortion, which is footswitchable.
ok, then you could always use the crunch channel and turn the gain down and EZ it to be clean and then use the high gain channel as your primary.

Idk, i just really liked the VK when i played it, and i think it would suit your styles well.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Btw, anyone who has tried any other Bugera model can talk about that, as long as it can get close enough to the tone I want.
Hell, any other amp, as long as it's around that price range. I really don't want to go over $700 though, could do $800, maybe. I've been trying to get a job so that I can afford to buy more and better guitar equipment (I'm 15).
Quote by bjovi400
ok, then you could always use the crunch channel and turn the gain down and EZ it to be clean and then use the high gain channel as your primary.

Idk, i just really liked the VK when i played it, and i think it would suit your styles well.

I was thinking that if I get that, I could just use an Ibanez TS808 to get the heavier sound, plus the gain and volume boost it has. In a way, you could consider that a lead channel. It would work out well enough for me.
btw i ment 'EQ' insted of 'EZ' lmao
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400
btw i ment 'EQ' insted of 'EZ' lmao

lol, I knew you meant EQ.
yeah, but hey man, im just giving you my honest, 'un bandwagoned?' opinion on this matter. its gonna be your amp, you can choose. lmao
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400
yeah, but hey man, im just giving you my honest, 'un bandwagoned?' opinion on this matter. its gonna be your amp, you can choose. lmao

Well, duh, of course. I just want to hear from some Bugera people first. Been watching more YouTube videos of it, and I'm really liking it. I'm kinda worried about ordering it online without trying it out first, being that the local shop doesn't sell them (but do sell Peaveys) and neither does Guitar Center. Like always though, I can return it within so many days, so not that big of a deal.
well, heres whats up with my opinion and playing style, I played on a VK stack, and my styles are weird. 6 years playing, and i started with classic rock, then moved to punk, then started hating punk, then moved to hard rock, then moved to metal, (by now i was more advanced), so i then went back to classic rock and bluesy soloing, then harder heavey metal. so when i pick up a guitar, i automatically, without thinking, i start to throw down some metal riffs and licks, then i do my classic rock and blues solos. i can do metal soloing, i ****in beast all kinda sweeps, and other arpeggios and fast ****, but i find it easier to do that classic stuff because im, 1) a tad bit more advanced in it, and 2) grew up with it, and it helps with finding out the versatility of an amp. so IMO my...opinion is good? lol

so with that background story, yea listen to some Bugera reviews before you buy. lol

edit: and some people will say that the VK sucks, theres USUALLY 3 reasons they say it.

1. The jump on the bandwagon
2. They expect it to beast metal and be like a 6505
3. They have different tone prefrences or it changes
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Aug 9, 2008,
Quote by bjovi400
well, heres whats up with my opinion and playing style, I played on a VK stack, and my styles are weird. 6 years playing, and i started with classic rock, then moved to punk, then started hating punk, then moved to hard rock, then moved to metal, (by now i was more advanced), so i then went back to classic rock and bluesy soloing, then harder heavey metal. so when i pick up a guitar, i automatically, without thinking, i start to throw down some metal riffs and licks, then i do my classic rock and blues solos. i can do metal soloing, i ****in beast all kinda sweeps, and other arpeggios and fast ****, but i find it easier to do that classic stuff because im, 1) a tad bit more advanced in it, and 2) grew up with it, and it helps with finding out the versatility of an amp. so IMO my...opinion is good? lol

so with that background story, yea listen to some Bugera reviews before you buy. lol

edit: and some people will say that the VK sucks, theres USUALLY 3 reasons they say it.

1. The jump on the bandwagon
2. They expect it to beast metal and be like a 6505
3. They have different tone prefrences or it changes

I've been playing for around three years myself and whenever I get to try out amps, I usually just riff some, then play covers, usually Deftones, Tool, and Staind. Master of Puppets and Raining Blood are almost always both played as well, at least parts of them, but the three bands mentioned earlier are more like my style of playing. Since I live a good bit from a Guitar Center and my local guitar shop isn't big, I rarely get to try out new amps or guitars anyway. Sadly, I've never played a 6505, Mesa Boogie, or a real Marshall stack (real being said that I tried a MG once).

Edit: Hello, I just discovered that the local shop DOES sell Bugera, even though I've never seen one there (that I can recall, and I haven't stopped by in awhile). Awesome.
Last edited by Eternium at Aug 9, 2008,
do they have a VK? you could compare side by side
Ibanez AEL 12-string

I have played both the valveking and the bugera 333xl.

I do not care for the valveking at all. IMHO it sounds very lifeless and just flat out dull.

The bugera was a really cool amp. Good sounds from clean to crunch to distortion. the only problem is that these are still new amps and the reliability is still unknown.

you would probably be better off with the bugera, expecially if you want a great deal of versatility.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
I have played both the valveking and the bugera 333xl.

I do not care for the valveking at all. IMHO it sounds very lifeless and just flat out dull.

The bugera was a really cool amp. Good sounds from clean to crunch to distortion. the only problem is that these are still new amps and the reliability is still unknown.

you would probably be better off with the bugera, expecially if you want a great deal of versatility.

I definitely want life in my amp. I think whenever I have the money I can get the local shop to order one and until then, stop by every once in awhile and see if they have the Bugera and/or the VK.
^ the one i played was the opposite of what your saying. maybe it was the tubes?? idk, but the TS should try them both.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400
^ the one i played was the opposite of what your saying. maybe it was the tubes?? idk, but the TS should try them both.

If what he tried sounded like it should be, maybe the Bugera is that awesome.
Bumping my own thread, I want more Bugera news.