When you measure the gap between the middle frets, while holding down the first and 15th/17th fret and you find the gap is too big, do you turn the truss rod clockwise or counterclockwise. Would this be tightening or loosening the truss rod?
According to a website i found, if its too large you should turn it clockwise, but i'm just checking with you guys
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
my only suggestion is to never touch the truss rod unless you know for %100 what your doing
+1 on that. If you're gonna get into tweaking like that, find a cheaper one first and learn the in and outs that way. You could really F your favorite axe up and end up spending more than the few bucks it would have costed to get it professionally done.

However, if you're really set on doing it yourself, get the book "Guitar Player Repair Guide" from Stewart MacDonald....it's what got me on the right track.
Another question, sorry.
When you tighten a truss rod, the neck become straighter as the truss rod counteracts the pull of the strings right? And when you loosen it, the neck becomes more bowed as the strings are able to exert more pull on the headstock. Is this right?
Also, is relief how straight it is, or how bent it is?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
If the neck has relief, it means it bends upwards slightly.
A guitar neck should technically be completey straight, but some people find it easier to play on necks with a bit of relief. It can also help with fret buzzing issues.
thank you
can anyone else answer the first part of my above post?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
No, the neck should have some relief because the movement at the ends: nut and bridge is fixed and the string vibrates most then in the middle. If you pick really light you can get by with a straight neck. Relief as I think of it the neck goes down, away from the strings to allow for the vibration. So what I'm saying is if you don't pick too hard then have just a hair of relief, then lower the bridge till it buzzes, then loosen the truss rod just a hair until the buzz stops.