so i play guitar and im currently learning piano, and in a few weeks im having minor surgery to have a ganglion cyst removed from my left wrist. since i play guitar right handed and use my left hand a lot for fretting, i was wondering if anyone else has had this and can tell me if there is a problem with playing guitar after the surgery, or how long to wait after before they could play again. i also would like to know if i will be able to play piano, or will i have to wait a few weeks or so without that as well? thnx to anyone else who's had this and can help me out.
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
...what did the piano part have to do with anything?
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
the word ganglio is funny, and the piano part is there becuase i also wanna know if i will be able to play piano right after, or will i have to wait like a week or something. im still learning, so im worried that if i have to stop now i will have to start again from scratch or something, becuase i havent even built up muscle memory or anything for playing piano yet.
My Gear:
Vox Night Train 15W
Quote by soulflyV
I'm sure the doctor/surgeon doing the operation would have much, MUCH better advice than The Pit.

You should ask them, not the Pit if you value your musical ability.

This
A few years ago, I asked my doctor what this lump on my right wrist was. He told me it was a ganglion cyst. He said it wasn't a big deal... now I think I should look into it, but at the time he said it was harmless and he joked that the old fashioned way to get rid of it was to get someone to SLAM my wrist with a large book, preferably a bible.

I didn't get the joke, but I still have the cyst.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Last edited by PaperStSoapCo at Aug 9, 2008,
Quote by delicious
Am I the only one that laughs at the word "Ganglion"?

A ganglion cyst is received through a viral transmission through the saliva of a South African mountain lion. When a gang of lions intend on attacking a predator, it will bite the predator and pierce through the skin, letting the saliva in. Hence ganglion.

I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
Quote by soulflyV
I'm sure the doctor/surgeon doing the operation would have much, MUCH better advice than The Pit.

You should ask them, not the Pit if you value your musical ability.
oh, i intend to ask them as well, its just doctors sometimes are a little over protective it seems, not that its a bad thing, i mean, theyre just looking out for u and all, but they will tell u not to do something for so and so weeks, just to be sure ur completely healed. but i was hoping for some first hand stories of people who had this operation and were playing guitar again sooner than the doctor ordered
My Gear:
Vox Night Train 15W
Quote by Justin_43130
the word ganglio is funny, and the piano part is there becuase i also wanna know if i will be able to play piano right after, or will i have to wait like a week or something. im still learning, so im worried that if i have to stop now i will have to start again from scratch or something, becuase i havent even built up muscle memory or anything for playing piano yet.

You wont lose anything by taking a few weeks off. I stopped playing piano for 4 years and didnt miss a beat when i started again. And if you've been playing such a short amount of time that there truly is no muscle memory, then it wont take much time to get back to the point your at.

My advice, listen to your doctor and do exactly what they tell you.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
A few years ago, I asked my doctor what this lump on my right wrist was. He told me it was a ganglion cyst. He said it wasn't a big deal... now I think I should look into it, but at the time he said it was harmless and he joked that the old fashioned way to get rid of it was to get someone to SLAM my wrist with a large book, preferably a bible.

yea, my doctor told me the same thing, and that its harmless, but it gives me a little pain when i play guitar, so im having it removed, but some people just leave them i guess
My Gear:
Vox Night Train 15W
Quote by Justin_43130
yea, my doctor told me the same thing, and that its harmless, but it gives me a little pain when i play guitar, so im having it removed, but some people just leave them i guess

Reason why I'm not concerned is because it's pretty small. Only visible when I bend my writs back a bit. Doesn't hurt either.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

mmk, well thnx for everyone who responded with a real answer.
My Gear:
Vox Night Train 15W
So there's like, a dandelion growing from your wrist?

Weed and feed that ****, dog.
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
he joked that the old fashioned way to get rid of it was to get someone to SLAM my wrist with a large book, preferably a bible.

They're also called bible bumps, because of this 'remedy'.

I've had several in the past 6 or so years, why are you getting surgery though? I had a real bastard of one on my right wrist but ended up taking a bad fall and bursting it.

Doesn't surgery has something like a 20% chance of recurrence?
I just read the wiki article about it. It's common with musicians and people who do certain activities repetitiously... but back when mine first developed, I didn't play guitar yet

What repetitious activities was I up to that involved my right hand?

Truthfully, I don't think I was beating it that much.
Quote by Article

I know what i cyst is but that doesn't stop me from thinking "Ganglion Cyst" sounds like a star wars character.
Quote by jeff541
A ganglion cyst is received through a viral transmission through the saliva of a South African mountain lion. When a gang of lions intend on attacking a predator, it will bite the predator and pierce through the skin, letting the saliva in. Hence ganglion.

Well done, sir, well done.
Anyone else think that "ganglion cyst" would be a cool death metal band name? I do..