I'm planning on purchasing a 30W vox valvetronix amp pretty soon. (thanks to all the advice i got on this site) I play an epiphone sg g-400 w/ the humbuckers that come with it. Mostly I am going to play punk or metal, so lots of crunch and distortion is needed.

First off, do I need a distortion pedal? I need to sound good and be heard over bass/drums/vocals.

Second, if so, what do you recommend? I am on a serious budget so i'd like to spend no more than about 50 bucks.

Thanks a lot!
Quote by motleyglam82
I'm planning on purchasing a 30W vox valvetronix amp pretty soon. (thanks to all the advice i got on this site) I play an epiphone sg g-400 w/ the humbuckers that come with it. Mostly I am going to play punk or metal, so lots of crunch and distortion is needed.

First off, do I need a distortion pedal? I need to sound good and be heard over bass/drums/vocals.

Second, if so, what do you recommend? I am on a serious budget so i'd like to spend no more than about 50 bucks.

Thanks a lot!

I used to own a the 50watt 2X12 version of that amp. Loved it but upgraded to all tube. The amp had more than enough gain on tap easily. Honestly it models mesa boogie and soldano amps so IMO you would never need a pedal and I know I never did.

Also Second question I really I'm glad you have found an amp you like but with all respect. You might wanna get way more wattage (50 atleast) if you are going to be gigging. 30 watts hybrid is basically a warmer SS so I really recommend more power as previosly stated by another poster. Good luck.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by injected
Buy a marshall mg for CRUSHING distortion

(just kidding)

What!?? Mocking the MG!?

But the MG sounds totally SLAMMING and the overdrive is CRUSHING... just ask Zakk - he'll tell you

TS: I honestly don't think you will be heard over a drummer with a 30 watt solid state. I use to own a Peavey Envoy 110 (40 watt SS) and I ran into some problems when I started jamming with drummers...
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Aug 9, 2008,
thanks, slander.

well I'm not really planning on playing any shows soon with this amp, I'm really into music, and I play guitar to have fun. I'm not a serious guitarist, but I jam with friends and I'm content with that.

If I played regular shows, I'd get a bigger amp.

Since we practice in my friends small basement, I think that I'll be heard fine since my borrowed fender g-dec jr. is heard over my bassists full stack.

If volume is a problem, would a "power boost" or some such pedal be of any use? thanks for the advice
I used to have the AD30VT as well - had to sell it for car repairs.

The digital modeling preamp stage of that amp won't be compatible with many pedals so I would suggest you consider a clean pickup signal booster or preamp of some kind, just to give a hotter signal to the input.

For high gain, my favorite was the Nu Metal model. The US High Gain was pretty nice as well.
my old spider III 75w could barely be heard over my drummer at 7.

and it was a VERY good practice amp, aslide from the fact that the sounds breaks up a lot past 6 on the volume, so idk, i must have gotten a good one, cause i am fairly good with tone, and it sounded good with the volume from 1-6
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Not to sound like a broken record but I'd really consider getting the AD50VT. 30 SS watts doesn't usually cut it with a drummer and bassist, unless the drummer is playing really soft.
Fender Tele
Breedlove SM20
Cort M800

Peavey Classic 30
Roland Microcube

Digitech RP250
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by motleyglam82
thanks, slander.

well I'm not really planning on playing any shows soon with this amp, I'm really into music, and I play guitar to have fun. I'm not a serious guitarist, but I jam with friends and I'm content with that.

If I played regular shows, I'd get a bigger amp.

Since we practice in my friends small basement, I think that I'll be heard fine since my borrowed fender g-dec jr. is heard over my bassists full stack.

If volume is a problem, would a "power boost" or some such pedal be of any use? thanks for the advice

I Dont mean to be an ass but honestly a full stack? Like half stacks are meant for gigging, full stacks are just well... and second id you can hear your self over the full stack the bassist must have it at one or 2 which is really counter productive of haveing a full stack isnt it?
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
The 50 watt version is loud enough - i can tell you that honestly

Not so sure about the 30. It could do it but i think you'd be better off going with the 50 watter just in case.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I´ve got the ad15 for a while...And I used it with an agressive drummer and I was heard...sometimes I think the ad30 would do the job but buy the ad50 if you can afford it...The valvetronix series doesn´t sound so good when they are cranked(my opinion).
Quote by Slanderous666
I Dont mean to be an ass but honestly a full stack? Like half stacks are meant for gigging, full stacks are just well... and second id you can hear your self over the full stack the bassist must have it at one or 2 which is really counter productive of haveing a full stack isnt it?

Yeah, it suprised me too. I mean I'm not going to act like it's the best sound or anything, but If I crank the gain on the fender up ALL the way as well as the volume, put it on "metal" and turn the volume up on my guitar, it can be heard over his ampeg 8-10 around 3 or 4. (which is fine for basement jamming). He got the stack for like 400 and the head... I don't remember how much for, but it was used and slightly beat up but sounds damn good.

Anyway, in looking at the 50W vox's, here's what I found:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT2-XL-50W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-483006-i1320541.gc

and

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50w-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-102806882-i1145847.gc

They are a bit different, and the first one is a bit less for one more speaker. Your thoughts on this?

I seriously doubt I could spend more than the 250-260 for the 30W but it's possible. Thanks for all the suggestions!
i just got this amp on aug 6 you can get some sweet dist. if you put it on custom, crank the gain, put it on us hi gain or uk modern or nu metal, treble 7, bass 6, mid 4, delay. i use a M.I.A fender strat (single coils) and it sounds good distorted. it does btw get loud enough to be heard over a drummer, also on the back if the amp there is a knob you have to turn to get the full thirty watts. mine came not cranked all the way. also im having a jam (drums & bass) tommorow and two days after that. ill let u know how it goes.

so to answer your question in my opinion you shouldnt need a distortion pedal but if you must insist on having a pedal try it w/o one and if its lacking there are really no good pedals for 50$ except the ds-1 and thats kinda half assed if u ask me.
Buy the matching Vox footswitch and use the two channels on your amp.
When you get the valvetronix get with it, the Foot switch and a good EQ pedal.
Keeping it real since '92
Once you've outgrown the footswitch OP I can vouch for the Boss ME-50 playing very nicely with the AD.

Thing about the Boss ME-50 compared to most of the other multi-FX I was looking at is the Boss doesn't do any kind of amp modelling to clash with the Vox modelling, and I also love the fact most of its settings are all mapped to hard knobs - awesome for blazing up, sitting on the floor in front of the amp and just tweaking your tone (not so fun with a flying V though!).
i know that when i played for a concert (not a gig, so there was not loads of people crammed intpo the room) this thing was able to keep up with the drummer, and not even on max volume,

this thing is the closest you will ever get to a valve amp for this price, the only limit to that performance was actually the in-house PA, they had 4 12" speakers, i had one 10" but they have to be careful with the gain, i didnt

i used the settings, UK 80s, 11'o clock gain, maxed volume, max treble and mid, bass about 9/10 o'clock

this kept up with a drummer and ashdown 140 watt bass amp fine