I'm replacing the pups in my MIM tele. I'm putting an SD Hot Rails (stacked humbucker) in the bridge. I'm thinking about an SD Alnico II Pro for tele (single coil) in the neck. Would this result in hum canceling? Sorry, I'm pretty noobish with this stuff.
Hot Rails page:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/telecaster/cutting-edge/hot_rails_for_t/
Alnico II Pro page:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/telecaster/vintage/alnico_ii_pro_f_1/
Fender Tele
Breedlove SM20
Cort M800

Peavey Classic 30
Roland Microcube

Digitech RP250
Digitech Bad Monkey
Any ideas, anyone?
Fender Tele
Breedlove SM20
Cort M800

Peavey Classic 30
Roland Microcube

Digitech RP250
Digitech Bad Monkey
You will only have hum canceling in the bridge position. In the neck and middle, it will hum.

It will not hum cancel when you combine three coils... the humbucker's two and the extra one from the single.

Hum canceling works because the two coils see the 60/50 cycle hum in opposite polarity. One picks up the wave in one direction, the other picks it up in the opposite direction. Basically the hum cancels itself out, in effect.

Now add another coil to that... and you've got a stronger wave in one direction, with a weaker one in the opposite direction. In the end, you get hum.

Now, there is a solution to this. You split the humbucker when you put it in the middle position. The Hotrails comes 4 conductor, so you can put a switch on it to kill one coil. So long as you kill the right coil, the two pickups will cancel hum together, just like a humbucker. If it doesn't cancel, then you just reverse the positive and negative of the humbucker to use the other coil... that should do the trick.

The switch could be a push-pull pot, or a mini toggle.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
One of the single coil have to be reverse wound to work as hum canceling with another single coil (or tapped humbucker)
There's only one single coil.

The four wire humbucker allows you to get the winding in reverse.

Chances are good that it will just work if both pickups were designed for the tele.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music