Hey, I am buying my first tube amp, a Laney VC50. I was wondering if there are any pedals I should get with it. I was thinking of maybe a noise gate and maybe an overdrive pedal, but I'm not sure if I will need need any more gain than what it already has. I will have the footswitch that goes with the amp.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
You probably should just get the amp first then decide how you want to change the sound from there.

What styles do you play?
I'm gunna be playing mostly metal, mainly 80's type stuff.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Well the essentials have been already mentioned in this thread if you need them.

If you find that you do need more gain, an OD to push the tubes should work well. I'd suggest a tubescreamer or one of the many clones.

Also, I dont know if you'd need a noise gate for 80's metal but thats for you to decide after you crank the gain.

An EQ pedal is always good. It can help shape you tone and expand the range of your amp. The MXRM108 listed above is one of the best but you should decide if you really need it or not (since it retails for over $100).
Okay, maybe I won't need anything after all. I probably won't need that much gain. I'm not sure if there is already a boost option on the footswitch of my amp, but I thought I might need footswitchable gain for solos and stuff like that, which was the main reason I thought about buying an OD. The EQ pedal will probably cost me like $200 where I live anyway, so I will probably give that a miss.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

I have that amp, nice choice by the way .
I sometimes play Metallica/Anthrax/Slayer type stuff with it. It definitely has more than enough gain for that, but I find that with an overdrive pedal in front set for a clean boost it all sounds much tighter and more heavy without adding that much extra distortion. I'd say get one, preferably a more transparent type, not a tubescreamer because that'll add a ton of mids and will completely kill your bass.
In my opinion you don't necessarily need an EQ, the VC50s EQ is pretty powerfull. A noise gate is pretty much a must though, it's not one of the quietest amps. That could be (partially) caused by my tubes though, they're Sovteks and they're old.
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
EQ
OD
wah
delay

possibly reverb, the laney's can be iffy

ask in the laney thread, if youre getting a VC50 theyll actually help you
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Gabel
Timi_Hendrix has one, ask him!

he's banned so has probably put UG into a wicker basket and thrown it into a river much like the story of moses in the bible

....metaphorically speaking
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
^I did not know that...

However the VC50 is basically a VH100R, but 50W and in combo form.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Horlicks
New tubes

Only if they're old or they're Sovtek/Shuguang crap. A fresh pair of JJs should be fine
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣