I used guitar lessons for 1 year to learn the basic chords and all beginner stuff, now its been 2 years, and i think the same guys still doing it, should i go back to learn advanced techniques and music theory, or should i tough it out and teach myself, i mean, is it worth going back to the lessons to learn all this stuff, and how much could he really teach me?

Thanks in Advance

Matt
Poop.

Yes, poop.
I would suggest going back to a guitar teacher, thats what I did and it is definatly better than toughing it out alone.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
ya go to teh teacher, toughing it out is too rough. Since toughing it out is on your time you have to be completely devoted during that time to make progress or else you just wasted time, but with a teacher you got another person helpin you along you can ask questions and its alot more productive then thinking what you are doing is right when its not.
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Your crying like a baby to the pit....You have pretty much ruined it for yourself.
I also forgot to mention, he teaches classical guitar, but i think alot of metal shredders learned classical peices before metal.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Well, if the teacher is good, then it can only help. I just hate teachers that only teach you songs and ****. That's the kind of stuff that can just as easily be learned at home with tabs and other online material.
Yeah, if he's a good teacher, get lessons. Oftentimes when teaching yourself (I am speaking from experience), you can pick up a bad technique or go down a wrong path, and it can be years until you realize it's wrong and start correcting it. After 16 years of playing, the #1 thing I would have done differently is have a teacher for more than the first 6 months.
What's sad is that a lot of "teachers" even advocate bad technique though. In my honest opinion the knowledgeable people of this forum know more about optimal technique than most teachers that you'll come across in real life.
Quote by fixationdarknes
What's sad is that a lot of "teachers" even advocate bad technique though. In my honest opinion the knowledgeable people of this forum know more about optimal technique than most teachers that you'll come across in real life.

Yeah, it does blow my mind when I hear about some teacher that does nothing more than teach the student his favorite GnR's song. Not that I have a problem with teachers that do this as a vehicle to teaching technique, but if that's all that's been taught then that is a problem.

But, I still believe a *good* teacher can save you years. Do your homework on him though.
Quote by fixationdarknes

Some of the more knowledgeable people on this forum ARE teachers

All the good stuff has already been said: a good teacher can save you years of hard work but a bad one may very well be worse than none at all; make sure you're getting taught by the right person and it should be a very worthwhile investment.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TheShred201
I want to teach guitar . I'm considering starting next year to see what happens.

So do I; no one around here wants to be taught it would seem.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I want a teacher too. I dont know why i dont get one.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Shred, do yourself a favour and start teaching, like this year. Your advice seems good on the forum so go for it. It teaches you a new form of patience as well. And its way different to a blog, but very similar to a bog :-) Enjoy

PS: its all about location and if you have about 2 or 3 music shops around you should be sorted with advertising and placements within two months (meaning packed)
Last edited by evolucian at Aug 21, 2008,