At a local Samash (as in, I biked 10 miles there) they are selling an vintage, used Ibanez Radius, the 540R. This was Joe Satriani's guitar of preference and he based his JS series on them. It is creme colored, the finish is a bit chipped and there is a bit of hardware rust where ever the paint on the hardware came off. This guitar looks PRESATRIANI era with the original IBZ-1 pickups in them, the original Edge , and 3 pickup toggle switches (one to turn on each pickup). This baby plays like a dream and only costs me 300. I was amazed at the price but I didnt buy because I didnt see a key code on it. Where is the serial code for old Ibanez Radius'? Or how else can I identify the guitar's origin? If this is genuine then this is a great buy. I just want to be sure its really what I think it is.

thnx in advance
Hi buddy

most serial numbers are somewhere behind the headstock. Try checking that. If it's not there i really can't help you... i doubt it'll be inside the cavities. Maybe near the pickups?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Hi buddy

most serial numbers are somewhere behind the headstock. Try checking that. If it's not there i really can't help you... i doubt it'll be inside the cavities. Maybe near the pickups?

Ah man. I checked back there first cuz its Ibanez' usual serial key spot. I also checked on the metal neck plate but it does say it there. im not sure, can it be under the neckplate or in the joint somewhere?
MAN WHO cares what brand it is if it plays and sounds good thendoes it really matter where it came from
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
so is it in the metal neckplate?

i think i've seen some guitars that have it there where the neck and body meet if they're bolt on necks.

thats what i think but im not about to walk over there n ask them to take hte neck off..
Quote by zeemonkey
thats what i think but im not about to walk over there n ask them to take hte neck off..

lol i meant the metal plate behind the joint part. for example, fenders have that plate and i think some of them have the number engraved on it.

Now that i think about it... is there a chance that maybe the guitar used to be a different colored and the owner changed the finish on it? if so that would explain why there is not serial number on it.

nah. the paint on it is original. and the neck plate only says the usual "ibanez" "made in japan" etc etc
It may be in the pickup cavities but most likely is on the wood underneath where the neck joins the body.

I own a 1987 540R (check my profile) but I'm not about to take the neck off to check....it's set up too damn good.

Listen, if it's from Japan and it really is what it is...GET IT!! In good condition, they go for $600 or more on Ebay. The low price has me a little concerned...I can't imagine the store didn't do its research so I'd be afraid it may have something wrong other than a little cosmetic damage.

But if it's good to go, you'll have a real winner on your hands. Those Ultra necks are thinner than the Wizards and are great to play. Just be forewarned - they'll need adjusted alot more due to their thinness and sensitivity to temperatures. They're special guitars, no doubt.
ha. Awesomeness man. Thanks. The plate says from japan and everything ive seen has led me to think that its genuine except that the serial is like hidden. The paint is a bit chipped (should i get it refinished?) and someone of the hardware has some usual rust on it. i couldnt believe it either. All the pickup toggles work and the action is flawless. Im sure all i have to do it try out hte bridge (they dont leave the bars in the guitars), check the neck for warps and try it out one last time.

on another note, doesnt samash have a return policy even on used guitars?
I just looked at mine awhile ago (I left it at my drummer's place where I practice) and the serial number is on a little sticker on the back of the headstock. I couldn't remember...I'm not in the habit of inspecting the back of my headstocks

This being the case, if there's no number on the back of the headstock, it may be a totally different neck which is the reason why its so cheap.

But again, if it plays good and feels great to you, go for it...it's still a good deal. You can always hunt around on Ebay for the right neck if you really want it to be what it is. Probably pay a good bit but for some people authenticity is a must.
yeah, uve got a point. it doesnt feel like radius neck tho. its alot thinner and its plays like butter where as radius' play like...cold butter (for lack of a better word) but at least its not fat as a bat like a les paul neck.
True, that. What I like most about my 540R is the body design. Sleek, rounded...it goes right where it wants to and is the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. If you get it, depending on your style, you may consider changing at least the bridge pickup. I got mine used and it had a DiMarzio high output pickup in it. I'm not a DiMarzio fan, so I put a Duncan JB in the bridge and a Hot Rails in the neck.

The best part I like about mine is the paint job. The "blueburst" was exclusive to 1987 so it's not like 1,000 other people in my area have one and I get alot of compliments on it. I like being unique. It's also cool that Satch is one of my guitar idols and this was what he used prior to getting his own sig series. All in all, probably the best guitar I've ever owned in 18 years.
thats pretty awesome. I love satch myself. He and Vai are my idols (mainly satch). I was wondering can u put up a close up picture of the original edge bridge on your radius? Just wanna see how it differs from new edges.