ive been asked by my school music teacher to begin teaching others to play bass guitar.

i have two kids to teach, and one is allready able to play quite well, and the other has barely touched onto the instrument.

i just wanna ask around what you guys did/were taught when you started playing bass.i never had lessons myslef, i learnt how to play from tabs and whatever. i started bass lessons this year however, and have learnt much theory.

im a proficient bassist, being able to proffciently slap, tap and finger. if you wanna know how i can play, the fastest finger song i can play is "YYZ" by rush, and the best slap song is "mr. pink (live)" by level 42

so yeh, just asking for general ideas as what to start teaching to beginners/intermediates

EDIT: THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR YOU TO TELL ME YOU PREFER GUITAR TO BASS, PLEASE PUT IN A VALUABLE INPUT

ps. im fine with theory EXCEPT reading music. sorry :P
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT
ok, so i did the first lesson, but only the beginner kid cos' the intermediate guy was sick. the beginner kids actually wasnt to beginner, knowing how to pick correctly and could fret OK.

i took him through c major, playing it in thirds up and down. then i went onto g major and played around with that, using extensions and what not.

ill probably teach him a song next lesson, and maybe for the lesson after, but then i need to figure out what to next.

any suggestions?
Last edited by flea_is_my_god at Aug 12, 2008,
what about to the intermediate kid?

i wanna keep him interested in my lessons, so i wanna give him somethign to enjoy after a lesson, rather than just teaching him the boring parts and not wanting to practice it
OH MUY GAWD! WOT A TERIBLE UseRNaMe?!

if i were you, first i would clarify with the student's what direction that want to take with their playing (ie particular styles or techniques) and teach them what they WANT to be taught.

Edit: an aussie... *looks at join date*
ı lernd bass bcuz there ıs no bassısts ın my skool so for a month ı stoppd playın guıtar and pıcked up a cheap bass nd lernt from there. ı can slap pop and everythıng tht goes wıv ıt lol XD but ı prefer guıtar cuz ım more usd 2 ıt lol
I taught a kid to play guitar for a while. I tried to mix it up between learning songs out of my beginner book I used when I started off, and stuff like Smoke on the Water.

Start off with simple things like the names of the strings and see if you can find an easy song that he might like. Most kids like Fall out Boy and stuff like that and you could teach it to him easy. For the student who can already play alright, maybe start teaching him sheet music type stuff.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Quote by Flea_Is_God
OH MUY GAWD! WOT A TERIBLE UseRNaMe?!

if i were you, first i would clarify with the student's what direction that want to take with their playing (ie particular styles or techniques) and teach them what they WANT to be taught.

There's no point teaching what they want to be taught until they have some understanding of the basics. However, if someone can't persevere through a few lessons of how to pluck and fret, then playing bass isn't really for them, as practicing is boring as f*ck no matter what it is.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
There's no point teaching what they want to be taught until they have some understanding of the basics. However, if someone can't persevere through a few lessons of how to pluck and fret, then playing bass isn't really for them, as practicing is boring as f*ck no matter what it is.

god, lighten up. why would you want to play bass at all if you thought practicing was boring.
Quote by LiamBamBam
ı lernd bass bcuz there ıs no bassısts ın my skool so for a month ı stoppd playın guıtar and pıcked up a cheap bass nd lernt from there. ı can slap pop and everythıng tht goes wıv ıt lol XD but ı prefer guıtar cuz ım more usd 2 ıt lol

this is not a thread for you to talk yourself up

thank you to everyone else for your valueable input, but im looking to teach them more than jsut a song, i need the basics, but with variations to give them more to practice
Quote by Deliriumbassist

point taken, but i allready have a basic idea what to do for the beginner kid, its the intermediate kid im concerned about
For the beginner guy, do what Delirium said. Introduce him to bass, teach him how to fret, what the different parts do, basically everything you need to know early on.

For the intermediate guy, you'll need to find out how his playing is before you can decide where to take his learning.

I would imagine it would involve ironing out mistakes in his finger technique and fretting technique, getting him to loosen up when he plays and getting some economy into his playing so his stamina keeps up when he plays.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by flea_is_my_god
this is not a thread for you to talk yourself up

thank you to everyone else for your valueable input, but im looking to teach them more than jsut a song, i need the basics, but with variations to give them more to practice

sorry i read the thread wrong. i lernt the basics first. the first song i did was teenagers by my chemical romance because it ınvolves sliding and a few hammer ons and pull offs.

XD
Quote by Nutter_101
For the beginner guy, do what Delirium said. Introduce him to bass, teach him how to fret, what the different parts do, basically everything you need to know early on.

For the intermediate guy, you'll need to find out how his playing is before you can decide where to take his learning.

I would imagine it would involve ironing out mistakes in his finger technique and fretting technique, getting him to loosen up when he plays and getting some economy into his playing so his stamina keeps up when he plays.

thank you, very helpful.

he is good enough to barely have any of that grinding tone when fingering the fretboard, and he can finger pluck with moderate speed, think along the lines of THE SLOW CHORUS of "by the way" by RHCP
Quote by flea_is_my_god
anyone know a good way to practice hammer-ons and pull-offs? or perhaps an easy song involving both?

Make up little exercises for him to do.

For example, chromatic hammer-ons

-5h6-5h7-5h8-5h9-

-5h6h7h8h9-

That sorta thing. As a teacher you have to bring out the best in your student through your own creativity!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Make up little exercises for him to do.

For example, chromatic hammer-ons

-5h6-5h7-5h8-5h9-

-5h6h7h8h9-

That sorta thing. As a teacher you have to bring out the best in your student through your own creativity!

good idea! i'd also like to leave him with a song too, so he doesnt just have to practice those boring exercises
Quote by Flea_Is_God
god, lighten up. why would you want to play bass at all if you thought practicing was boring.

To express myself musically and be capable of performing the music I love. To be able to do that, I practice Let's face it, running scales for hours on end to increase finger dexterity and speed isn't my idea of fun, but a necessary evil.
Quote by flea_is_my_god
good idea! i'd also like to leave him with a song too, so he doesnt just have to practice those boring exercises

Then ask him a band he likes and get some tabs, or better, learn it by ear and then teach him that way.

I guess depending on how good he is, some muse riffs would be a good challenge. I'd also try and teach him some basic improvisation (eg. minor pentatonic), 'cause in the long term he'll get alot out of that.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
I really think you should break people into theory hard and early. You should get them both learning the major and minor scale patterns and using them as exercises for precision and timing. Strive to teach them more than just the notes and patterns though. Help them learn how the intervals work together, why they sound the way they do. Maybe try to bring in a guitarist or pianist to play a simple chord progression for them to improvise under.

Have them play with a metronome THE WHOLE TIME. One of the best teachers I ever had told me time and time again that if you aren't playing with a metronome you are wasting your time. This is especially true during the beginning stages of playing, where a natural sense of timing may not have developed yet.
I'm gonna agree fully with Jimmy

But yea, with the intermediate kid, Find some songs that have some interesting Chord patterns like, If My Bass Could Only Talk by Stanley Clarke, (I'm not too sure of the name, its something along those lines)

At the start of the song he just takes his Riff through a twelve bar blues pattern but after about 6 or 7 bars he hits it up with a common Jazz turnaround

from 5 a leading note to 4, then 1 6 4 5 then he solo's over it and i got really confused...

then he was like... hmm ok, lets play Teen Town again...

but yea... teach him Major and minor patterns and show him some cool songs that show some nice examples of chord progressions

i'll say have a look at some Jazz/Funk/Jazz Fusion, and some Progressive bands... like Yes and Rush

choose the cool sounding ones to keep him interested... then after he's into it, hit him with the theory talk!
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
welli learned guitar a YEAR before bass. but what i learned first was bass notes (reading music) and walking basslines and patterns for them. also scales. blues/jazz and the doe ray me scale(s)
Try adding more delay.
I never really took many lessons. All i ever did was go over jazz band music and play a couple lessons out of a book. Most of the lessons were fairly simple. they were somewhat hard due to me being a beginner. just show him some fun songs
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
im trying to think of good simple beginners song thats got a few hammer-ons and what not

maybe "are you gonna be my girl" by jet
My bass teacher got me onto the great bassists, bought CDs of Jaco etc to lessons, started learning about music I wouldn't normally listen to.
I'd say do that, diversify things, we even learnt hip-hop basslines and stuff.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
ok, so i did the first lesson, but only the beginner kid cos' the intermediate guy was sick. the beginner kids actually wasnt to beginner, knowing how to pick correctly and could fret OK.

i took him through c major, playing it in thirds up and down. then i went onto g major and played around with that, using extensions and what not.

ill probably teach him a song next lesson, and maybe for the lesson after, but then i need to figure out what to next.

any suggestions?
I hate to be the bad guy (...) but ask yourself if you're really at the level to be teaching someone else. You can't read, which, in school especially, is the most important thing for any musician to learn. You've basically said you're an intermediate player, which there's nothing wrong with, I'm there too. However, I wouldn't have the confidence teaching anyone who's above the beginner level. Even the beginner level truthfully. That's when they're going to get into all of their habits so you have to have "textbook" technique for fretting and fingering, or know about it and have the ability to teach it at the very least. Yes, people can have their own style, but it's usually better for a beginner to mould his style from the tried and true than just whatever he wants or feels best with.

In the end it's up to you, but just ask yourself if you are able to teach these people what they need.
i respect your opinion jazz rock feel, and i definitely know where your coming from.

i'd definitely recommend them to a real teacher, and i've told them so, if they want to learan properly. besides, they both do music class in school, and they learn theory there too. its just they dont have a teacher for their specific instrument, and thats where i come in.

mainly, i am just teaching basics, technique and what not. for the price I do it, its alot cheaper than professional tutors.

music isnt about being able to read it, its about being able to use it, and i can do that.

does anyone have any other tips?
Last edited by flea_is_my_god at Aug 12, 2008,
Quote by flea_is_my_god

music isnt about being able to read it, its about being able to use it, and i can do that.

How many authors do you know that never learned the alphabet? Sure you can come up with an oral story without knowing how to read but can you make a masterpiece of literature?
Quote by Jiimy
How many authors do you know that never learned the alphabet? Sure you can come up with an oral story without knowing how to read but can you make a masterpiece of literature?

many authors used to dictate to a scribe, as they couldnt read or write.

how many great musicians do i know who cant read music? quite alot