not sure if this is the right place to post, but i just bought a schecter hellraiser and would like to tune down one step. iv read that you shouldnt do it unless you know what you're doing, as there is some work involved. i am wondering:

1. how much a guitar place would charge to do it
2. if i would be able to tune between standard and dropped D, and down one step and dropped C easily (as i would only be tuning one string rather than the whole lot).

cheers
u shudnt tune wıth a floyd rose ... just take off the lockın nuts nd just do ıt tht way ... the floyd rose ıs for fıne tunın not tunın ın general
i have the schecter hellraiser and its amazing btw, but because of the floating bridge, its kinda hard to tune. if you have it in the locked position, you cant go to drop-D because as you detune the e string the bridge moves and detunes the whole guitar. you can unlock it an make it drop-D without a problem, it just might take some time, the ffloating bridge is a pain. as for drop-C, you cant do that without switching to a higher gauge string because if you dont the bridge will move alot, causing intonation problems and the string will be too loose, so u gotta chose either drop-C or standard and drop-D. i honestly never tried to tune down one step but i would imagine that it would have the same problem that drop-C has. Good Luck man, its an awsome guitar, but kinda limited with the tunings, but you should still manage. i have another guitar just for drop-C and it has a higher gauge string, and its so worth it because the tight strings make it so muc easier to play, imho i dont think you should even play drop-C without some thicker strings, otherwise its just harder, worse quality and when you do get the thicker ones it will get harder to get used to them. hope i helped
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Last edited by zbest at Aug 9, 2008,
You're gonna have to pick a tuning and stick with it. Even if you just loosen the nut and de-tune there, you're gonna screw with everything....the neck, the bridge, the intonation, and ultimately, the action. That's the bitch of Floyds.

zbest has it right with the heavier gauge string thing. And if you don't know anything about Floyds, PLEASE take it to someone. They're not something for the noob to start tweaking with abandon....believe me.
Quote by fretboarddragon
You're gonna have to pick a tuning and stick with it. Even if you just loosen the nut and de-tune there, you're gonna screw with everything....the neck, the bridge, the intonation, and ultimately, the action. That's the bitch of Floyds.

zbest has it right with the heavier gauge string thing. And if you don't know anything about Floyds, PLEASE take it to someone. They're not something for the noob to start tweaking with abandon....believe me.

While you're partially correct in your first paragraph, you're not going to screw with everything to the extent that it's horrible, the neck will have no problems at all if the neck is of good quality, maybe a truss rod adjustment if you move from .9s to .13s but that's an insane upgrade, the bridge is easy to fix, just open up the cavity in the back and tighten or loosen the screws accordingly, the intonation won't be affected THAT badly, it's still relative to standard tuning (D Standard) so if the same tension can be achieved, it should be fine and adjusting the action on a Floyd is piss easy, takes very little time once you get the hang of setting up a Floyd.

TS, just learn how to do it yourself, it's not that hard, there's a sticky in this forum for how to set up a Floyd.
i have .11s on mine and its not a big deal. i never had to do anything for it. and the schecter is a one piece body and neck, it doesnt even have a truss rod, so you dont have to worry about the neck.
Quote by zbest
i have .11s on mine and its not a big deal. i never had to do anything for it. and the schecter is a 1. one piece body and neck, 2. it doesnt even have a truss rod, so you dont have to worry about the neck.

1. No it's not, if it's a Schecter Hellraiser then it has a glued in neck.

2. yes, it does

TS - you can set the guitar up for a lower tuning, that's pretty straightforward, but you can't move between tunings easily on a Floyd, it's really not worth the hassle. Just pick one tuning and stick with it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
1. No it's not, if it's a Schecter Hellraiser then it has a glued in neck.

2. yes, it does

TS - you can set the guitar up for a lower tuning, that's pretty straightforward, but you can't move between tunings easily on a Floyd, it's really not worth the hassle. Just pick one tuning and stick with it.

Damn, you beat me to the reply...

Electric guitar without a truss rod...
well if it does then i cant find it because on my fender, you have a hole at the top to adjust it and this one doesnt. even when you open up the back there isnt a place for you to adjust it...
Quote by zbest
well if it does then i cant find it because on my fender, you have a hole at the top to adjust it and this one doesnt. even when you open up the back there isnt a place for you to adjust it...

Take the plate off of the headstock.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Take the plate off of the headstock.

+1
(that's the black thing that says "Hellraiser" on it)
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com