So I have this friend who is very certain in his way of life, and because he thinks so highly of himself, he tends to diss anything to make him look like this cool mother****er. Most of the time I just kind of ignore him doing this, but this time it got personal.

I was outside having a cigarette and this fool is thizzing, and he just starts talking about how being a musician is pompous and ignorant. I decide to call this fool out because he started dissing on an aspect of my life, and that's straight up disrespect.

He was trying to convince me that musicians are fake in the sense that they get emotions from tones and how that's bull****. His point was that people who are into music are arrogant and disconnected from reality because their emotions are in music and not the real world. He always talks (and that's all this guy does) about how intelligent he is, and he made music as a passion seem like some re-re venture.

Now keep in mind that this dude and I started taking guitar lessons around the same time, but I ended up sticking with it while he didn't apply himself at all (he thinks its a waste of time). I got considerably good and he still can't play the Smoke on the Water riff on one string after 2 years. He's practically tone deaf and has no sense of rhythm. He always acts like he's a music connoisseur pointing out "9/16" timing and sadly, other non musical folks assume he's an authority on music.

So I call this fool out and tell him that its ignorant to stereotype a characteristic on a group of individuals who you don't even UNDERSTAND. He has no say in this ****, especially if he's gonna insult me like that.

Anyone else have friends like this?
yh, my friend josh ... but he likes music, but he will insult anyone who is as almost as good as him to make others think that that person is rubbish. like when i play something (even songs he has taught me himself) he will say it is wrong in front of a crowd of people and wont play it himself.

hes a good guitarist but he gets in a pissy when i do things he cant do so he decides to show me up with some really fast sweeping or something ... asshole
yup, except everyone near me knows that I have authority on music because I'm the only one who knows a little bit of music theory in my school =/ just have a shred off and begin it saying it has to be in 12/8 time or something, that should teach him who is in control.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
RCalisto, how is this the wrong forum? It IS discussion about how different people perceive MUSIC and MUSICIANS.

idk I just hate it when people talk about **** they don't understand.
Quote by metallicafan616
yup, except everyone near me knows that I have authority on music because I'm the only one who knows a little bit of music theory in my school =/ just have a shred off and begin it saying it has to be in 12/8 time or something, that should teach him who is in control.

just a little word on that:
music is not a competition.
being an artist, and specifically a musician is one of the greatest things a human being can be, and you should always be proud to be one

you're not building bombs, or stealing or cheating anyone... the worst you could possibly ever do is make music people aren't interested in hearing... if everyone in the world lived their life to those standards, can you imagine what a great place this planet would be?

your friend's just expressing his jealousy... he tried to do what you're doing and failed... now he's trying to blow off his failure by devaluing what he failed to do.. don't let his BS affect you...
Quote by inflatablefilth
being an artist, and specifically a musician is one of the greatest things a human being can be, and you should always be proud to be one

you're not building bombs, or stealing or cheating anyone... the worst you could possibly ever do is make music people aren't interested in hearing... if everyone in the world lived their life to those standards, can you imagine what a great place this planet would be?

your friend's just expressing his jealousy... he tried to do what you're doing and failed... now he's trying to blow off his failure by devaluing what he failed to do.. don't let his BS affect you...

Truth.

You are the smartest 08er I've ever seen.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by inflatablefilth

oh, that's nice to hear. i'm even more motivated to become a musician now : D
*bow*
Quote by metallicafan616

Wow. No, you don't have "authority" on music or "control" over others at all. Just because you know some theory doesn't make you any better than anyone else. Step off your soapbox and join reality.
^ i seriously think that guy needs to watch some karate kid movies. i'm not kidding, it can tell a lot about self discipline and respect (and pretty much reality), and he seriously needs that.
Quote by RCalisto
^ i seriously think that guy needs to watch some karate kid movies. i'm not kidding, it can tell a lot about self discipline and respect (and pretty much reality), and he seriously needs that.

Agreed.

You need to change your life!