Im Making a song using guitar pro, and have become really confused with all this scale stuff.

b--13-13-13-13|-12-12-12-12|-12-12-12-12|-10-10-10-10|
G-14-14-14-14-|14-14-14-14-|12-12-12-12-|11-11-11-11|

This is the main rythm part which repeats throughout the song. I kinda guessed it is in the key of G, because i can play G major over it. Messing about playing over it i found i could play the G major scale and also the A minor scale. Am i right in saying this is in the key of G? Also why can i play A minor over it.

Edit: Just realised it gets even more complicated. I said i can play G major over it, but how do i know this isn't E minor. I also said i can play A minor over it, but how do i know this isn't C Major?

Ahh!!
Last edited by nugiboy at Aug 9, 2008,
Quote by nugiboy
Say someone says we are jamming in the key of C. Does it matter if i solo in C Major or Minor?
Depends on the chord playing underneath. If its a C dominant chord, you could easily play Cmin pentatonic and still sound pretty decent.

Generally, though, you should stick to major scales if your jamming in a major key if your not very confident in jamming.
u shud do watever comes naturally, ıf sumfink doesnt come naturally then u shudnt solo lol

nah c mınor wud b fıne
Just looking at the notes, yeah its in the key of G.

Although I havent tried all these over that riff (sorry, I just cbf loading up guitarpro), my logics says these pentatonic scales will work over that: Gmaj pentatonic, Aminc pentatoni, Bmin pentatonic, Cmaj pentatonic, Dmaj pentatonic, and Emin pentatonic. Gmaj and Emin will work the best though.

Gminor wont work because some of the notes clash. The F# doesnt mix well with some of the notes of the Gminor pentatonic scale.

EDIT: I dont mind a bit of editing, but so much editing this late at night is mind****ing me

Edit: Just realised it gets even more complicated. I said i can play G major over it, but how do i know this isn't E minor. I also said i can play A minor over it, but how do i know this isn't C Major?
When Improvising, it doesnt really matter what shape you use. But, if you want to get technical, the best way to tell if its in Aminor or C major is the chord or note the song resolves on (sounds finished on). If its A, the songs in Aminor, if its C, its C major.

There are other more accurate ways, but I wont confuse you with leading tones and harmonic minor progressions and other stuff
Last edited by demonofthenight at Aug 9, 2008,
dude, maybe if you just worried about the major pentatonic scales you wouldnt be sketchin so much, they are very useful and simple.
Quote by demonofthenight
Just looking at the notes, yeah its in the key of G.

Although I havent tried all these over that riff (sorry, I just cbf loading up guitarpro), my logics says these pentatonic scales will work over that: Gmaj pentatonic, Aminc pentatoni, Bmin pentatonic, Cmaj pentatonic, Dmaj pentatonic, and Emin pentatonic. Gmaj and Emin will work the best though.

Gminor wont work because some of the notes clash. The F# doesnt mix well with some of the notes of the Gminor pentatonic scale.

EDIT: I dont mind a bit of editing, but so much editing this late at night is mind****ing me

When Improvising, it doesnt really matter what shape you use. But, if you want to get technical, the best way to tell if its in Aminor or C major is the chord or note the song resolves on (sounds finished on). If its A, the songs in Aminor, if its C, its C major.

There are other more accurate ways, but I wont confuse you with leading tones and harmonic minor progressions and other stuff

Thanks for the reply. I think i sort of understand it a bit more, but i need to do some research. And sorry about that major edit lol i just realised that my second post should have been my starter question.

And yeh maybe i am looking too much into this but im sort of a perfectionist.

AH!
Quote by nugiboy
Thanks for the reply. I think i sort of understand it a bit more, but i need to do some research. And sorry about that major edit lol i just realised that my second post should have been my starter question.

And yeh maybe i am looking too much into this but im sort of a perfectionist.

AH!
Nah, looking too much into it is a good thing. Its great that you have an interest in theory.

I wish you didnt delete that post. My fragile mind did a wtf moment for about a minute.