Alright, I already know that minor 2nd and Diminished 5th intervals sound spooky and dissonant, but say I wanted to produce a riff that made the strongest of men cry and the sweetest of women fully smitten, what types of intervals would you recommend? I mean, what are just some very beautiful sounding ones, and it's more like a sad, or mellow, floating type feeling I'm going for.

Any suggestions?
Quote by Gizmo Factory
Haha, that's because it's the relative minor scale, right? Well, I don't mean a solo, just a riff. =p

Oh sorry my bad. Still, it can work well for riffs too...
Up The Boro!
Quote by Gizmo Factory
Alright, I already know that minor 2nd and Diminished 5th intervals sound spooky and dissonant, but say I wanted to produce a riff that made the strongest of men cry and the sweetest of women fully smitten, what types of intervals would you recommend? I mean, what are just some very beautiful sounding ones, and it's more like a sad, or mellow, floating type feeling I'm going for.

Any suggestions?
Thats honestly something you have to experiment yourself to find. A million guys will give a million different answers to this same question.

Lately (as in in the past 30 minutes) I've been using m9 arpeggios (1 b3 5 b7 9, except I was skipping the b7) and sus2 (1 5 9) arpeggios which, when phrased right, have a very somber, mellow feel that also have a little bit of spacieness to them.

If that^ doesnt work for you, than just write a riff using pentatonics. With the right phrasing, pentatonics can give any sort feeling.
id recommend studying some of Marty Friedman's solo stuff, like off his album Scenes in particular. West has one of the best and most soothing melodies I've ever heard that guy really knows how to choose exactly the right note.
dont forget to look at the chords underneath the melody as well.. you could have a melody that doesnt have a major or minor tonality and emphasises, say, the second. if it were over a major chord youd have that 9 feel, kinda like floating on a cloud is how id describe it lol. if it were over a minor chord, the second would bring out a whole different mood because its a half step away from the third now. can sound very sorrowful.
so learn from melodies and see what kind of intervals have what effect, but the harmony also has a big part in it too.