Page 1 of 3
My parents are trying to get me to do more housework and I wondered if a lot of other people on here have jobs to do or whatever. I'm basically getting pissed off with them because they're trying to get to clean up everyone elses shit, and that's just not going to happen.

Why should I load and empty the dishwasher every day when barely any of it is mine? Fuck that, I'll clear up my own crap and everyone else can do the same. This is probably going to sound like I'm a right spoilt brat or something, but I don't care right now because I'm annoyed.

What crap do you have to do around the house (if any)?

EDIT: Read all my posts please. I was just ranting here, it's not really that clear what I'm pissed off about.
Last edited by Tom_hatton at Aug 9, 2008,
I sometimes do clothes washing, dishwasher emptying, dog walking and washing up now and again. Nothing that big which I can complain about really.
NOPE.
Because your parents do enough other stuff like keeping a roof over your head, feeding you in the first place.
Suck it up you ungrateful tosser.
Oh, and to answer the question.
Nothing. I do it out of choice because I like to live in a clean house.
I pretty much just do anything they ask. But it pisses me off when they act like I don't do anything when I do all the chores they ask me to do.
That would be fair if you cooked all your own meals, did your own shopping, washed your own clothes, etc.
Personally, I don't have to do anything. But I still do, because I believe I should.
Quote by nightraven
idiot. why should your mum clear up the dishwasher when most of it isn't hers? you're going to have to do tons more work when you finish high school, get used to it. and show some courtesy for your family.

Everyone should clear up their own stuff. It works that way, but for some reason its my fault when my little sister doesn't do her share either.

And I'm not in 'high school', I've left school.
oh boo hoo... ****ing clean up.....your parents make the money for you to live......i you dont like cleaning up..move out you spoiled piece of **** , get a job and pay your own bills, you still will have to clean up, and do chores , only difference is you have to tell yourself to do them not anyone else.....
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by legiondairy
Just further insight into the 14 year old mind of a pit monkey.

I'm 16.

And I knew I'd get these kinds of responses. Oh well, fuck it.
Quote by Tom_hatton
I'm 16.

And I knew I'd get these kinds of responses. Oh well, fuck it.

haha dude dont trip i used to be like that too

but i had to grow up..i realized that i still have to clean up and **** but now...i have to pay for everything...sucks....but its a part of getting older.....but now i can make enough to get a new guitar and a car........and drink..legally ......
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
My parents don't make me do anything but I'm home alone all day so I do the washing up, sort out the washing, hoover, generally tidy up the place and feed the animals.

Takes like...45 minutes, it keeps them off my back and they don't mind giving me money now and again.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Quote by Tom_hatton
Why should I load and empty the dishwasher every day when barely any of it is mine? Fuck that, I'll clear up my own crap and everyone else can do the same.

they cleared up your crap for years.

they clothed you, fed you, probably got your **** underneath their fingernails more times than they care to imagine, bought you toys, cleaned up after you and now that they want you to start sharing some responsibility you're whining?

it's easier if one person does a task for all people. if you do all the dishes, someone else should do the washing, someone else should vacuum the floors etc. it's just more efficient than everyone doing a small amount of each activity.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
cook for a family of 7
tidy my room that is shared between me and my younger brother
tidy my baby sisters room
hand wash and dry everything after dinner
sort everyones clothes into piles and put them in the washing machine, hang them up outside every 3 days
hoover the house once a week (3 story house)
clean the sides in the kitchen after everyone elses meals.
go shopping for a meal for the day, occassionally get to buy a 50p cake for myself
i get no pocket money at all, and rarely every go out if i want to play guitar.
i also only sleep about 3 hours a day.

EDIT: i also have to buy any music gear i want by myself

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
So you are 16 and have left school, but are still bitching about your parents making you do stuff around the house.

Go get a job and take yourself off their hands. You won't have to do any chores if you live in your own place.
Ok, I'll try not to sound hateful or swear or anything, but I'll have to agree, just deal with it till you're out of the house then you can take ownership of your own chores. And if they do treat you unfairly it's just another test of life. If you can survive their unfair treatment till you go to college or move out then you'll be so much better prepared to deal with life, and you'll be able to do your own laundry in college.

As for your question, it's only the three of us in the house, so there's not too many chores to do. I do whatever they need me to do since we're all pretty busy, and there's no fair or unfair since we just do whatever, you know? Just, do whatever.
^^ Why should I clear up everyone elses stuff when they don't to anything? The other day I swept the floors downstairs, emptied the dishwasher and when my Mom came in, my siblings had left their dishes on the side. Somehow, she found an excuse to shout at me.

EDIT: To Lemoninfluence
I take out the trash everyday, clean the bathroom once a week. That's really about it.

If I'm on vacation, my mom will sometimes give me paid jobs.
LARGE TEXT
Tommy, Tommy, Tommy.... Tom, Tomster, the Tomman, The Tominator, just do it for your parents. They do nice things for you, do nice things for them. Help around the house a bit. Trust me, life could be MUCH WORSE.
Be cool.
^^ Its the discrimination that gets me more than anything else. My brother is 19, he's been out of work for a good few months (although he is trying) and its always MY responsibility to do something. I'm just sick of it... if nobody else bothers, why should I?
Quote by Tom_hatton
^^ Why should I clear up everyone elses stuff when they don't to anything? The other day I swept the floors downstairs, emptied the dishwasher and when my Mom came in, my siblings had left their dishes on the side. Somehow, she found an excuse to shout at me.

EDIT: To Lemoninfluence

when you were a kid were you expect to clean up after yourself?

why should they?

they've asked you to share some of their responsibilities. I'm assuming you don't have a job so you're not contributing financially, yet I bet you're still eating their food and living in their house and using their electricity etc. this is just a way of paying them back.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Tom_hatton

My mother does the same thing, but her excuse is that we should value our house and keep it clean. I don't like doing it, but hey, it's my mom, she makes the rules until I'm out of the house. Sometimes if you're nice, and one of your siblings does something stupid, you might get lucky and they'll have to do all the chores.
I wash all of my own cloths do the dishes every other week and on the other weeks I dooing trash and I have to mow the lawn like once a week.I have 3 brothers and I get 40 bucks a month allowance.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by numbfinger
haha dude dont trip i used to be like that too

but i had to grow up..i realized that i still have to clean up and **** but now...i have to pay for everything...sucks....but its a part of getting older.....but now i can make enough to get a new guitar and a car........and drink..legally ......

I had the choice of a nice car or an incredibly **** car and a nice guitar.

Needless to say i drive a suzuki.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
when you were a kid were you expect to clean up after yourself?

why should they?

they've asked you to share some of their responsibilities. I'm assuming you don't have a job so you're not contributing financially, yet I bet you're still eating their food and living in their house and using their electricity etc. this is just a way of paying them back.

When I was a kid, if I made a mess, I was expected to clean it up. Obviously not when I was about 2, but from when I started school.

Its not doing it that bothers me. Its the fact that my sister (who's 11) does absolutely nothing, yet its me who always gets told to pull my weight. Maybe I didn't make that clear in my original post, I was busy ranting because I was pissed off.

Personally, I don't see it as paying them back. They had kids, they'd be failures as parents if I wasn't allowed to live there for free until I'm legally an adult.
Yeah I have chores. Just the usual stuff, Mow the lawn, take out the trash, wash dishes, clean once in a while, dispose of the nuclear waste, you know the usual. I do it because my parents could just ditch me or lock me out of the house if they felt like it, so I help them in exchange for a few meals a day and a place to sleep. I mean it's only fair.
Quote by Tom_hatton
When I was a kid, if I made a mess, I was expected to clean it up. Obviously not when I was about 2, but from when I started school.

Its not doing it that bothers me. Its the fact that my sister (who's 11) does absolutely nothing, yet its me who always gets told to pull my weight. Maybe I didn't make that clear in my original post, I was busy ranting because I was pissed off.

Personally, I don't see it as paying them back. They had kids, they'd be failures as parents if I wasn't allowed to live there for free until I'm legally an adult.

They'd be failures as parents if they didn't teach you how to look after yourself, and to push you into doing things. You'll be glad they are doing this when you finally get a place and kids of your own.

I rent a room in a house, and have 3 housemates. I cook all my meals every day, clean up after myself. I regularly mop/sweep/vacuum the floors. I clean the bathroom regularly. Take out the rubbish when necessary. Was my clothes, etc.

I do everything I need to do to stay healthy and live in a clean house. It's the kind of thing you have to when you don't have your parents to rely on. You'll see one day
Quote by Tom_hatton

did you have to wash your dishes, brush up etc when you were 11?

that's my point. your older brother will have already had this done to him when he left school. and she'll have to do it when she leaves school. why should she have to do it now when you didn't at her age?

It's to get you ready for the real world where you'll often have to do **** you don't like. and in the real world you can't turn around and go 'no, I'm not doing it. why isn't jeff doing it aswell?'

Quote by element4433
Quote by wizards?
Yeah I have chores. Just the usual stuff, Mow the lawn, take out the trash, wash dishes, clean once in a while, dispose of the nuclear waste, you know the usual. I do it because my parents could just ditch me or lock me out of the house if they felt like it, so I help them in exchange for a few meals a day and a place to sleep. I mean it's only fair.

I wish my parents woul lock me out...
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by Lemoninfluence
did you have to wash your dishes, brush up etc when you were 11?

that's my point. your older brother will have already had this done to him when he left school. and she'll have to do it when she leaves school. why should she have to do it now when you didn't at her age?

It's to get you ready for the real world where you'll often have to do **** you don't like. and in the real world you can't turn around and go 'no, I'm not doing it. why isn't jeff doing it aswell?'

I did have to do it, that's my point. It's two sets of rules, that sounds unfair to me.

And you're right about the 'real world' thing. But I'm not in that yet, so for now, I feel that I can say something.
i do **** all, awesome.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

C'mon, emptying and loading the dishwasher takes no time at all. I'm sure they do plenty for you, they're not asking for much, just buckle down and do it.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Yeah I used to do chores for my parents. Cleaning, taking out the trash, repelling roman soldiers, washing the dishes, carry out the lepers e.t.c.

Just suck it up, they've done much more for you.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Yeah I used to do chores for my parents. Cleaning, taking out the trash, repelling roman soldiers, washing the dishes, carry out the lepers e.t.c.

Just suck it up, they've done much more for you.

Don't bits drop off the lepers if you just pick them up and carry them?
We had a special leper-sack.
I know what you mean, it's irritating doing things and feeling unappreciated.

BUT
Get used to it. Unless you wanna cook your own meals, pay the bills and sustain the family. Because that's what your parents do. Stop being a whiny little bitch or go out and earn your own money.

Yeah I do whatever. I always wash the dishes. I hoover, dust, cut the grass and wash the cars.
Quote by MightyAl
Don't bits drop off the lepers if you just pick them up and carry them?
We had a special leper-sack.

We had a stretcher, we might've not been jewish, but we weren't poor either.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Tom_hatton
I did have to do it, that's my point. It's two sets of rules, that sounds unfair to me.

And you're right about the 'real world' thing. But I'm not in that yet, so for now, I feel that I can say something.

I seriously doubt that. everyone thinks they're hard done by at that age. right now my little brother moans constantly about how I was allowed to sleep in late (like 1pm) when I left school etc. What he fails to recall is that I was punished too for sleeping in late and everything that he says I did that he's getting punished for now, I got punished for.

your older brother will probably have a similar viewpoint. he's seeing you go through what he went through but now it looks stupid to make a big deal out of it. And it'll happen to you in a few years time when your sister starts moaning about having to do everything.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Kensai
We had a stretcher, we might've not been jewish, but we weren't poor either.

Wouldn't a stretcher require 2 people to lift?
With a sack, you just chuck a couple of pennies in, the leper follows, and you drag him outside.
I don't have any 'chores', but... I mean i'm expected to do stuff.

For the next four weeks I'm bringing up/training my mum's puppy cause she's at work. Me and my eldest brother do most of the house work (Painting, putting floors/carpets down, stripping walls etc).

Obviously I help out with wee things like the dishwasher or put stuff on for washing or whatever. It takes 3 minutse, it's hardly a task
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Page 1 of 3