While discussing guitars at a shop in town, the staff mentioned there are two types of OFRs available, one made by Ping in China and one made by Schaller in Germany. Is this true? They also stated Ping OFR's are inferior to proper Schaller OFR's.

Traditionally, I don't tend to listen to shop staff but this had me quite interested. How are you meant to differentiate between the two?
It is true, I believe. There is also the FR-O2000, which is a Korean made OLFR (it's not the original, but it's not licensed) which is supposedly as good as a Schaller made OFR. I don't know how to differentiate between them, but I heard Ping's manufacturing contract ran out and they didn't renew it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
It is true, I believe. There is also the FR-O2000, which is a Korean made OLFR (it's not the original, but it's not licensed) which is supposedly as good as a Schaller made OFR. I don't know how to differentiate between them, but I heard Ping's manufacturing contract ran out and they didn't renew it.

Isn't the FR-O2000 trem on Jackson guitars? I think I've seen this discussion come up and someone emailing Jackson about them.
Yea thats true. There are also 2 types of Floyds from Schaller. The Schaller Floyd Rose and of course the OFR which is the original. I'd say the Schaller Floyd is better then the Ping but thats my opinion.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Mwoit
Isn't the FR-O2000 trem on Jackson guitars? I think I've seen this discussion come up and someone emailing Jackson about them.

its on the SL3 but the USA select series guitars are different again AFAIK
Quote by Mwoit

It is on Jackson's RR24, SL3, and RR5FR as well as schecters with OFR's and I believe LTD deluxes.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
it's a really good trem and is reliable. it never goes out of tune unless you have a bad string(like me lol)
yeah, i've been hearing this as well (the korean thing). it's definitely starting to get confusing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ironman1478
it's a really good trem and is reliable. it never goes out of tune unless you have a bad string(like me lol)

Which version of the OFR is good? All of them?

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i've been hearing this as well (the korean thing). it's definitely starting to get confusing.

Were you not the one who emailed Jackson about the FR-O200?
yeah, i think i emailed floyd rose about that a while back. they were very cagey and claimed not to have heard of it. Now i'm thinking that they were deliberately misleading.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i think i emailed floyd rose about that a while back. they were very cagey and claimed not to have heard of it. Now i'm thinking that they were deliberately misleading.

well yeah, it's an O2000
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Are all the different OFR's the same dimensions and shape? I don't own any OFR equipped guitars, so I wouldn't know.
no idea, to be honest.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wouldn't they be built off the same schematics?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Mwoit
Which version of the OFR is good? All of them?

the schaller is the best. i think they made the original OFR's at one point
Quote by Diamond Dave
its on the SL3 but the USA select series guitars are different again AFAIK

Yep, my 2001 SL2H has the OFR from Schaller.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl