Hey guys, sorry if this is out of topic but the problem I have involves some gear I am using for recording guitar.

I usually record my guitar (Yamaha SG 700S w/hambuckers) through a line6 POD 2.0 into a standard IMac Line-in running GarageBand (tuned to use small buffers to improve ADC speed).

Alternatively, I practice with a boss RC-2 connected to the POD 2.0 line-in, with some earphones connected to the line-out of the POD.

I am not an ace guitar player, but I seem to be recording solos in-time with the backing track, with a good groove given by using pull-on/offs, bendings and string muting. I am not perfect at it, but acustically it sounds good.

Well, listening to the recorded tracks, (either through Imac-GB or the Boss RC-2), the groove is gone, the sound is flat and notes seem far from being in time with the backing track.

I then managed to record an acustic guitar with the Imac built-in microphone ( ) and my playing (groove included) is much more reflected into what is recorded.

What's wrong with the digital recording chain I am using? Should I switch to a real amp+microphone to record? (I have a VOX AC30, by the way, but can't crank it up for nocturnal recordings, ya know). Should I, instead, change guitar?

Thanks a lot,

Zack
turn down your volume nob when recording and it will lower the gain and sound less compressed if thats what you mean.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost