Alright, so I am pretty much new to stacks and cabinet's and don't know too much about them. I just want to know if my assumptions are correct with them.

A cabinet is basically a speaker. In order for it to be used as an amp you have to have a head. A head is basically the controls of the amp but without the speaker, therefore it must be plugged into a cabinet in order to be used as an amp. Half stacks or stacks are packages of both the cabinet and the head, generally by the same manufacture.

I also have a a few questions if my assumptions are correct

Can any head be used with any cabinet? Say I have a Marshall Cabinet, if I take a Line 6 Head, I would I get the same tone as if i was using a Line 6 cabinet and a Line 6 Head.

Thanks in advanced guys, I would really like to know this stuff so when the time comes to buy, I will have some knowledge.
the head/guitar controls 99% of the sound, but in theory i suppose using a different cab might get you a slightly different sound, just because everyones speakers are a little different. But as long as their comparable quality (aka not my $250 epiphone cab vs some $1000 marshall cab) the difference between cabs should be extremely minimal. In other words, dont sweat using a different cab
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
Last edited by Zoso68 at Aug 9, 2008,
Quote by Zoso68
the head/guitar controls 99% of the sound, but in theory i suppose using a different cab might get you a slightly different sound, just because everyones speakers are a little different. But as long as their comparable quality (aka not my $250 epiphone cab vs some $1000 marshall cab) the difference between cabs should be extremely minimal. In other words, dont sweat using a different cab

Speakers play a huge role in shaping your tone!
Quote by Zoso68

Thanks for that=]
I'll start looking into them more once the time comes, once my new guitar gets here, and after I've been playing for a little while longer, and am writing my own stuff.
it just seems as though everyone uses similar speakers, and by all means find a cab that has the right tone for you, but dont sweat playing a hiwatt head through a peavy cab, or vise versa, or whatever gear you have at your disposal
Quote by GuitarHobbiest

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
Quote by Enemy.ofkhanate
Alright, so I am pretty much new to stacks and cabinet's and don't know too much about them. I just want to know if my assumptions are correct with them.

(a) A cabinet is basically a speaker. In order for it to be used as an amp you have to have a head. A head is basically the controls of the amp but without the speaker, therefore it must be plugged into a cabinet in order to be used as an amp. Half stacks or stacks are packages of both the cabinet and the head, generally by the same manufacture.

I also have a a few questions if my assumptions are correct

(b) Can any head be used with any cabinet? Say I have a Marshall Cabinet, if I take a Line 6 Head, I would I get the same tone as if i was using a Line 6 cabinet and a Line 6 Head.

Thanks in advanced guys, I would really like to know this stuff so when the time comes to buy, I will have some knowledge.

(a) yup, you've got it.

(b) yes, as long as the impedance (in ohms) between the head and cab match up, and as long as the cabinet is rated for a wattage at least as high as the head (so that you don't blow the speakers).

Quote by i_am_metalhead

agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Zoso68
it just seems as though everyone uses similar speakers, and by all means find a cab that has the right tone for you, but dont sweat playing a hiwatt head through a peavy cab, or vise versa, or whatever gear you have at your disposal

Well if you are comparing two cabs that are using the same speakers then it just comes down to the overall quality of the cab.

But speakers are all voiced differently. Some have a more defined midrange, some are designed to produce more bass, some have a warm tone, some are bright, etc. etc.
You also have to take speaker breakup into concern as well. If you are wanting to play something with a very clean tone at a high volume then you wouldn't want a low wattage speaker that is going to break up when you turn the volume past "3".

A very good example in the difference between speakers would be the Celestion Alnico Blue and the Celestion Vintage 30. The Vintage 30 is actually a remake of the Alnico Blue but they couldn't sound any more different from each other. The Alnico Blue was used in amps back in the 50's and 60's - it has a very classic voicing and would not be good for anything modern. However the Vintage 30 has a very modern voicing and isn't able to pull off the classic tone.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

im talking just for someone whos tinkering. if you're going into the studio to record your debut LP, by all means you should have a variety of heads/cabs/guitars/effects but for band practice/general giging, which is what this guy seems to be doing, theres no need to get your undies in a bundle over if its got celestions or Genz/Benz or whatever else speakers in it, especially if your on any sort of budget
Quote by GuitarHobbiest

Quote by laid_to_waste
Quote by Zoso68
im talking just for someone whos tinkering. if you're going into the studio to record your debut LP, by all means you should have a variety of heads/cabs/guitars/effects but for band practice/general giging, which is what this guy seems to be doing, theres no need to get your undies in a bundle over if its got celestions or Genz/Benz or whatever else speakers in it, especially if your on any sort of budget

Still, you're going to want to try out different cabs to find a tone you like. If you're playing metal then you're not going to want a cab with speakers in it that are voiced for blues/jazz and break up easily.
At the same time if you were wanting to play classic rock you wouldn't want to get something with speakers in it that are voiced for modern metal and you have to have your amp cranked before your speakers start to break up.

Try out as many cabs as you can until you find something you like or you will be kicking yourself down the road... Believe me, I'm talking from experience lol.
Point well made, it definitly depends on what you're playing, you're not gonna want speakers intended for high gain/overdrive if your playing jazz, but you also dont want speakers out of an old/remake fender amp if your intending on doing Pantera covers.

granted, you obiously know more about this than me, but if theres anything i've noticed, its that once you mike your amp through the house PA system, you may as well be playing a marshall mg with all the knobs at 10 in most cases
Quote by GuitarHobbiest

Quote by laid_to_waste
i'm with metalhead. by that "just for someone who's tinkering" logic, why even both trying out amps? cabs and speakers make a BIG difference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no, by all means, try out every amp you can get your hands on until you find something that you like, but theres no need to tear the internet apart to get your hands on some limited edition cab that your going to have to ship from japan and will cost more than my guitar collection just to get that "perfect tone". My theory is just find something that sounds what you want it to sound lke and fits your style, but theres no reason to get anal about it, especially if your new to it, as this guy seems to be.
Quote by GuitarHobbiest

Quote by laid_to_waste
dont get me wrong im picky about my tone, but all i was trying to do was tell this guy that he could run a line 6 head into a peavy cab without it sounding like a car accident when you play
Quote by GuitarHobbiest

Quote by laid_to_waste
Quote by Zoso68
no, by all means, try out every amp you can get your hands on until you find something that you like, but theres no need to tear the internet apart to get your hands on some limited edition cab that your going to have to ship from japan and will cost more than my guitar collection just to get that "perfect tone". My theory is just find something that sounds what you want it to sound lke and fits your style, but theres no reason to get anal about it, especially if your new to it, as this guy seems to be.

By no means was I implying to take out a loan, sell your kids into slavery, and become involved in drug smuggling so you can afford the most expensive and rarest amp on the market.

I was just trying to tell him not to just buy something that he isn't sure about... just get something that he is happy with so he won't be frustrated with himself in a few months because he bought something that has the complete opposite tone of what he actually wants.
concensus=TS, try out whats available to you, pick what you like, but no need to get insane over it.
Quote by GuitarHobbiest

Quote by laid_to_waste
not to mention were sort of off topic, this poor guys just wants to know if he can run one brand through another without screwing anything up
Quote by GuitarHobbiest

Quote by laid_to_waste
of course
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Zoso68

I stopped reading this thread after this post so if this has been resolved already, I apologize. But...

Bad speakers will RUIN the tone of a good head.

Think of it this way. If you have a hi-fi stereo system, would it sound the same with different speakers? Of course not! Different speakers break up differently and place emphasis on different frequencies They surely do not provide just a slightly different sound. A guitar amplifier is no different.
Quote by al112987
I stopped reading this thread after this post so if this has been resolved already, I apologize. But...

Bad speakers will RUIN the tone of a good head.

Think of it this way. If you have a hi-fi stereo system, would it sound the same with different speakers? Of course not! Different speakers break up differently and place emphasis on different frequencies They surely do not provide just a slightly different sound. A guitar amplifier is no different.

Thanks for repeating what I said!