i got a jackson kevin bond... i wanna drop tune it to B. figured i'd throw some .12 gauge on there. what else do i need to do to make this work? i hear of people warping and crackin their necks when installing bigger strings. sure as hell don't wanna do that...
If you're unsure the best thing to do would be to take it to a local guitar tech/shop and get them to do it and ask them to explain what needs to be done for it to work; that means that not only will it be done but you'll know what to do if you want to change something similar in future.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
u'll need to adjust your truss rod most likely, and change the intonation, i dont think you would have any problems since many people do this wtihout problems.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you're unsure the best thing to do would be to take it to a local guitar tech/shop and get them to do it and ask them to explain what needs to be done for it to work; that means that not only will it be done but you'll know what to do if you want to change something similar in future.

i'd like to learn how to do a set-up myself. guitar techs around here aren't gonna show you how...
Quote by guitaringnathan
u'll need to adjust your truss rod most likely, and change the intonation, i dont think you would have any problems since many people do this wtihout problems.

how? where the pick up's are on the back?
12s tuned to B won't warp your neck. There'll be less tension on the neck than using 10s in E.
Quote by smb
12s tuned to B won't warp your neck. There'll be less tension on the neck than using 10s in E.

wonder if i should get .13's or just buy a 7 string pack
i can get drop B with .11s without too much flabbing and they go right back to standard nicely.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Get 13s. It wont break your neck. Or 12 if you like a loosely feel. I use 12s on C standard, and they feel right. Actually get 12, or 13s if you plan to tune at b standard.
Quote by nyandres
Get 13s. It wont break your neck. Or 12 if you like a loosely feel. I use 12s on C standard, and they feel right. Actually get 12, or 13s if you plan to tune at b standard.

i'm gonna do drop tune b... not standard. sorry, i don't know how to play. i have to cheat. i swear.... i'm gonna learn how to play
Quote by lust of decay
i'm gonna do drop tune b... not standard. sorry, i don't know how to play. i have to cheat. i swear.... i'm gonna learn how to play

Lets make this a call from some supernatural being, urging you to learn to play in standard. Please tune in standard. You will be able to sound awesome everytime you pick up any guitar.
Quote by nyandres
Lets make this a call from some supernatural being, urging you to learn to play in standard. Please tune in standard. You will be able to sound awesome everytime you pick up any guitar.

he does have a point. if u only know songs in a drop tuning, when u go to a store u try out new guitars, ur gonna look like a jackass. not that u should learn to play to impress people, but u dont wana look like an idiot either.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
he does have a point. if u only know songs in a drop tuning, when u go to a store u try out new guitars, ur gonna look like a jackass. not that u should learn to play to impress people, but u dont wana look like an idiot either.

really, i suck. way better drummer. i can palm fret, blast beat, and do some pretty decent pinch harmonics though...

i went to gc today to get some .12 strings and they highly went against that. they were telling me that i have a solid mahgony neck and that drop tuning to b would bent the neck permently. they were trying to get me to drop my guitar off to their guitar tech sooo that he could do a set-up...