I'm trying to learn this song all the way through but I'm having a problem. What fingers (on plucking hand) should I use to pick this part?

|-----------------|-----------------|
|-------0-----0-1-|-----1-----3-----|
|-----2-----0-----|---2-----0-----0-|
|---2-------------|-----------------|
|-0---------------|-0-----2-----2---|
|---------3-------|-----------------|
I'm a beginner...but I thought most times you'd alternate your thumb for the lower two strings. That would leave the other 3 in place on the higher strings.
Thumb is supposed to be for the bottom 3 strings: E A D
For that part you only need your thumb, index, and middle
I would recommend starting on a different piece if this is your first, i will find link.
Depends on how you play the song, I used to do it differently but now I play it (I think, I don't have my guitar with me at the moment):
0-thumb
2-index
2-middle
0-ring
3-thumb
0-index
0-middle
1-index
0-thumb
2-index
1-middle
2-thumb
0-index
3-middle
2-thumb
0-index

EDIT: In regards to the thumb being for the bottom 3, that's the best way to go about it, and it's also the way I used to play that song but I find I get better tone play the parts that sit between the 2nd and 5th strings when I play it that way. But in terms of learning the best guideline is EAD is thumb, G is index, B is middle, e is ring.
Last edited by mattvl at Aug 9, 2008,
Quote by cfhwarhead
Thumb is supposed to be for the bottom 3 strings: E A D
For that part you only need your thumb, index, and middle
I would recommend starting on a different piece if this is your first, i will find link.

no, definitely not my first. I'm just having a problem mainly with the first measure. Would it be better to pick your thumb twice, because it's the A and D strings? Or thumb and then index, middle, ring, like the other person said.
Quote by mick13
no, definitely not my first. I'm just having a problem mainly with the first measure. Would it be better to pick your thumb twice, because it's the A and D strings? Or thumb and then index, middle, ring, like the other person said.

I would use my thumb on the A and D. I Also there was a note that i would use my thumb on the G too
I had to go to a damn church thing for two hours. Thats why i havent replied.
Last edited by cfhwarhead at Aug 9, 2008,
I personally play it like this

t i m r t i m m  t i m  t i m t i

T= Thumb
I = Index
M = Middle
R = Ring
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Use your thumb on the 5th string [first note] and 6th string only [5th note]. With all due respect, If you can't work that absolute basic pattern out for this piece, your playing way beyond yourself. Go back to somthing simpler as your jumping ahead of yourself and obviously not up to this piece. Trying to play ahead of themselves is a common problem for those teaching themselves. Do yourself a favour friend and get the basics down first. Give Greensleeves a go and get that right!
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 10, 2008,
Quote by iceman_8319
I personally play it like this

t i m r t i m m t i m t i m t i

T= Thumb
I = Index
M = Middle
R = Ring

This is how I would play it.
I think you should try it out yourself and let your fingers fall naturally to the strings. You'll soon see what's easier for you. general rule is thumb for EAD then index, middle and ring for GBE respectively, but there's no reason you can't use your index and ring on the D and G.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Akabilk
Use your thumb on the 5th string [first note] and 6th string only [5th note]. With all due respect, If you can't work that absolute basic pattern out for this piece, your playing way beyond yourself. Go back to somthing simpler as your jumping ahead of yourself and obviously not up to this piece. Trying to play ahead of themselves is a common problem for those teaching themselves. Do yourself a favour friend and get the basics down first. Give Greensleeves a go and get that right!

Ok I am not trying to play ahead of myself. I just wanted to know which way people thought was better to use.