...Involving fender synchronised tremolos.

My MIM strat currently has 9-42 gauge strings, but they sound really thin and crap since i've started using 11-48 on my other guitars. You could just say "just put the 11-48s on it and shut up", but theres a lot more setup involved which is confusing me, specifically the tremolo:

Firstly, I know i'm going to have to adjust it if i put heavier strings on. the synchronised tremolo currently stays in tune perfectly, and its set up so that it can bend the pitch both ways. I'm a bit of a noob with tremolos - If i adjust this, will it screw up the tuning stability?

Secondly - it currently has 3 springs. the outer springs are angled to increase the tension, but the action of the trem is a little loose for my liking, and if i bend a string, all the others go flat momentarily until i release the bend and i'd imagine it would detune even more with heavier strings. I know this will just happen anyway with a floating trem and can't be solved completely without setting it flat, but i would like to reduce the problem a little - Would adding more springs sort this out?

I know how to adjust the tremolo, i just want these things answered before i do anything else
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by carpepax
By "Synchronized Tremolo," do you mean the one with the 6 pivot screws?

yes, like this one:

i forgot about the other trems its like the classic strat tremolo.

edit: changed the pic cus the first one was too big.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 9, 2008,
firstly: i don't think so, but i'm not an expert at setups.

secondly: more springs should help a bit, but again setups aren't exactly my forte.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Notes going out of tune while bending is inherent in almost all trem systems, some more apparent than others. I would go to four springs and tighten the spring anchor into the body a bit more than it already is (assuming it isn't all the way tight right now). If this isn't good enough, back the spring anchor back out a little bit and go to five springs.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
ok - i'm probably just going to try it - i can always take it to a shop and get it sorted if i screw it up - as long as it can't damage the guitar (I can't see why it would tbf), that is.

i have just bought 2 more springs just in case i need them but the guy in the shop said i would only need them if i was going to be using the trem flat against the body so it can only bend the pitch down, and that i might not need any more at all - although i'm trying to stiffen the action of the trem and reduce the detuning issues with string bends.