I just don't know how to hook them up. Do you plug your guitar into the pedal and then the pedal into the amp?
Um.... yep, guitar into the input of the pedal and amp into the output, simple.
Usually, yeah.

Like it goes:

Guitar to pedal input, pedal output to [another pedal?], so on, from pedal output to amp.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Yes. Guitar -> Pedal -> Amp.

What kind of pedals are you talking about? If it´s an overdrive/distorsion unit it should be between the amp an the guitar. If it´s an delay it should be connected to your amps effects send and return jacks (every amp doesn´t have that feature).
One more question: Can it be a standard cable that you use to plug the pedal into the amp?
Quote by metal_punk
I'm looking at a Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal.

stop looking at it, it's not good.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120