I know there are tons of threads like this but since they all have different titles it's kind of difficult to search.

Anyway, I have $100 and I am looking for something that could really improve my tone. I prefer a cleaner, smooth tone so a Russian Big Muff or something like that wouldn't be what I'm looking for. I was thinking maybe a compressor or maybe a flanger but I really don't know much about effects. What would you guys recommend?

For what it's worth, I have a Schecter Stiletto Studio-5 with a Peavey Firebass amp.
EQ more...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'd say a compressor would do worlds of good, or maybe a BBE Sonic Maximizer?

If you decide on a compressor, get an EBS Multicomp, it's amazing. And remember to practice with it OFF!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
mark kings fingers, not sure how much the translpant surgery would cost though, and whether he'd sell you them
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
Sansamp VT Pro?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
It all depends what tone you want to get, to the recommendations that will be most suitable. So do you have anything that you're aiming towards?
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
EQ pedal
BBE sonic maximiser
Hartke tone shaper
new pups
new bridge
new strings
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Welsh Guitar
I'd say a compressor would do worlds of good, or maybe a BBE Sonic Maximizer?

If you decide on a compressor, get an EBS Multicomp, it's amazing. And remember to practice with it OFF!
That
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

If you have a rack, BBE builds a compressor with a maximizer built in. That'd do the trick. However, I own a Sonic Stomp and recommend it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Thanks for the recommendations so far guys. I'm going to head to guitar center very soon to try these out. For the record I'm looking for something similar to Justin's tone in The Pot by Tool. Realistically, I know that I will never get that but still.
i would really stay away from the sonic maximizer. I heard that it produces sounds that your amp doesnt/shouldnt produce and it could damage you speakers or amp. Rather its true or not i have yet to see but something to keep in mind...
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
As a guy with an 800W stack who uses it, it doesn't damage a thing. Really, it just cleans up the tone. I have both knobs set at noon.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
A compressor won't do jack. It will just even out the peaks of your playing. I'd say fiddle around with the EQ on your bass and amp until you find something you like. Pedals can't get certain tones you're after, they just add colour to them.