Forget the fact of pressure... and lava.. AND HOW YOU'RE GOING TO GET THERE. just think the earth is holo please.

So i was talking with this girl about digging a hole to china to see the olympics. She then said down in the center, wont you hit lava?

And out of nowhere i had to think...

If gravity is pushing from each and every direction to the center of earth, what would happen when you're in the exact middle? Would you float?
Quote by Faux
whats the best part about sex with eighty one year olds?
theres eighty of them
Last edited by DannyMcawesome at Aug 9, 2008,
thats pretty much epic...
Quote by Faux
theres eighty of them
the center of the earth is made of rock. And if it wasnt rock and lava there wouldn't be any gravity anyway..
Wouldn't you implode?
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
is the very centre of earth timeless? hmmmm...
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
It's physically impossible to dig a whole through the exact center of the Earth. That's where gravity leads to, if the Earth was full of dirt instead of magma you can't dig because any dirt you throw out of the way will always fall towards the center.
Okay Forget The Fact How To Get There.... Just Asking What If Yo Were In The Center
Quote by Faux
theres eighty of them
You would implode.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
I imagine you'd fall almost all the way through, but then as you pass the center, gravity reverses, so you slow down and start falling the other way, until eventually you stop right in the middle.

However, because you've drilled a hole right through the earth's center of gravity (assuming the earth is a perfect sphere, which it's not), the center of gravity would shift to another place.

So you'd get stuck to one of the walls inside the tunnel.
Quote by three10
the center of the earth is made of rock. And if it wasnt rock and lava there wouldn't be any gravity anyway..

the centre of the earth, the very centre, is made of molten metal (i think mainly lead...) the outside is liquid, and the inside looks solid, though it is actually liquid, just tightly compact and at a uber high temperature...
Quote by sashki
I imagine you'd fall almost all the way through, but then as you pass the center, gravity reverses, so you slow down and start falling the other way, until eventually you stop right in the middle.

However, because you've drilled a hole right through the earth's center of gravity (assuming the earth is a perfect sphere, which it's not), the center of gravity would shift to another place.

i'm pretty sure we have noble prize
Quote by Faux
theres eighty of them
In theory you would indeed float

But in theory, Jupiter would float...it ain't gonna happen
Up The Boro!
Why would you implode? There'd be no gravity.

If there was a direct hole all the way trough the Earth which you could jump down:

You'd jump down, accelerate, reach terminal velocity. Then as you reach the center you'd keep going and end up going past it but but as gravity will now be acting upwards you'd decelerate and then start moving back towards it.

In essence you'd act like a giant spring bouncing up and down but slowly losing energy until you'd stop right at the centre.

EDIT: Beaten to it, took too long to write my post
Quote by connorusry13
Abraham Lincoln would hit on your girlfriend. You don't want that do you?

I don't have a girlfriend. Take that!!
death. plan and simple.
ADD

Check out my self-recorded demos on my profile!!! C4C

Separation is an illusion.
Okay, first, how does gravity work? It's the attraction between two objects, and since the Earth is the biggest object in the vicinity, everything on Earth is attracted to it. So, if you somehow managed to make it to the center of the earth, the Earth would now be surrounding you on all sides pulling you in every direction at once. And therefore, you'd be torn to pieces provided you haven't melted first.
Look, every object has its own gravititational force on all other objects around it, just that when it's small, it's negligible.

The earth, on the other hand, is BIG. The center of gravity isn't just an area in space. It depends on the earth and it's mass. You can't have a center of gravity where there is no mass, ie. in the hole through the center of the earth. Therefore it's center of gravity would be elsewhere, probably the tunnel wall.

Because your hole isn't gonna be absolutely symmetrical, the center of gravity will be skewed slightly to one side as you fall down the hole.
Quote by Monkey@Keyboard
Okay, first, how does gravity work? It's the attraction between two objects, and since the Earth is the biggest object in the vicinity, everything on Earth is attracted to it. So, if you somehow managed to make it to the center of the earth, the Earth would now be surrounding you on all sides pulling you in every direction at once. And therefore, you'd be torn to pieces provided you haven't melted first.

It doesn't work like that.
My first answer was a joke, but now I actually wonder... What would happen? There are a few plausible answers here, but I'm not sure which to believe.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Quote by Monkey@Keyboard

No, gravity acts towards the centre of an object. So if you were at the centre of the Earth there'd be no gravity.
its actually iron in the center, mostly.

Quote by sashki

actually you'd fall all the way through and minus air friction you would end up coming to an almost standstill just as you reach the surface. i think its 21 or 27 mins or something. there was a theory that couldnt work, but work in theory. a travel shuttle almost that went from place to place via a tunnel and no matter where you go. NY to paris LA to tokyo dallas to bejing it always takes the same time due to gravity. shorter distances dont have as steep of a tunnel so you dont get upto the same speed but a strait shot through the earth your going to be hauling some serious ass then like magic, lol, you slow down to a nice stop at your destination. in perfect lab conditions with no friction(air mostly) and whatnot its practically a power free travel, very fast, and somewhat simple.

i was stoned when i watched/read about it but tht was the jist of it. conversation started from dropping a ball through the enter of the earth.
Quote by chris024
its actually iron in the center, mostly.

Iron, nickel and a very small amount of cobalt.
Ghandi would appear and hyper beam yo ass!
:\ ignore that, ive spent the last 2 weeks of my holiday playing smash bros brawl and pokemon since there was nothing to do
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Iron, nickel and a very small amount of cobalt.

All three of which are magnetic.

COINCIDENCE? I think so

Quote by chris024
there was a theory that couldnt work, but work in theory.

Yeah.
Quote by kosmic
My first answer was a joke, but now I actually wonder... What would happen? There are a few plausible answers here, but I'm not sure which to believe.

Don't worry, I'm sure scientists who devote their lives to it are sure either.
The centre of gravity doesn't have to be in the mass sashki. Like a doughnut's is in the middle of the hole. Or is that centre of mass and you think of gravity differently when regarding its attraction? I wouldn't have thought so.
No, there's no centre of the earth. That's where Hell is.

Quote by MoleMania
I don't have a girlfriend. Take that!!

Yeah, I guess the joke's on him.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Well then... i think the conclusion will end up as:

yes you will infact float. That would be epic.
Quote by Faux
theres eighty of them