do pickup covers affect tone? ive noticed some open coil pickups sound better to me than ones with nickel or gold covers. is this a coincidence? do the covers affect anything in any way?
theyre just different pickups sometimes, you can buy covers that slip over open coils (get them on the right way :P my friend put them on the wrong way round and it looks retarded) and i dont think they affect the tone.
I suppose theoretically they could, but probably not in a noticeable way. I hope they don't anyway, I like covered pickups
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
If you took two pickups that were exactly the same except one was covered and one was it, the covered one would be a little less hot and have a little less highs (although that really depends more on what material it's being covered with).

In any event, it isn't really noticeable tone-wise; It's more of an aesthetic decision.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
My friend just bought an Epiphone standard, would he be able to take off the pickup covers to show the open coils?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
My friend just bought an Epiphone standard, would he be able to take off the pickup covers to show the open coils?

Yeah, they are just soldered on.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by ScottB.

Yea, but be very careful.
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
where do you buy these pickups covers from? my guitar shows those little metallic dots and i want them to look more covered like an EMG pickup sorta. link me link me link me
Quote by braydz
where do you buy these pickups covers from? my guitar shows those little metallic dots and i want them to look more covered like an EMG pickup sorta. link me link me link me

You want to be able to adjust your pole pieces.
Quote by utsapp89