We all know the joke "so I went to a boxing match last night, and all of a sudden, a hockey game broke out!"

Honestly, it annoys me alot, it deters from the meaning of the game, and I just wanna watch some hockey, y'know?
But come on, stuff like the Red Wings brawl of 1997 is just plain awesome. Like when Vernon Socked Roy right in face? Magic.

Opinions on the subject? Favourite fights?
What? Did someone say something about hockey not being about fighting? Call the people in white . . . . .
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Ice Hockey is basically men in suits throwing each over into walls while trying to hit a disk with a stick
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I think the fights are a part of the game.
As long as it's just two guys duking out.
Bench vs. bench fights are a big no-no.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Quote by Grönis
I think the fights are a part of the game.
As long as it's just two guys duking out.
Bench vs. bench fights are a big no-no.

agreed. bench vs. bench is for baseball
Hockey fights are amazing. It is a necessary part of hockey imo and should never be changed. It is used as a method of intimidation (most of the time) and is a reason some players don't go around throwing more cheap shots.

Even if it was banned it wouldn't stop. It is too frustrating being out there for some people to keep gettng cheap shots and not responding.

And best brawl ever was the Canadian Russian one in 72 I believe. Whole benches cleared, they fought for like 10 minutes and thy had to turn off the lights and they still kept fighting. I agree that those ifghts don't have a place in the game but it happens in every sport sometimes.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
I like fights. Look how much it sucks in the playoffs when they don't fight? And just have a little scrum after basically EVERY PLAY. It's terrible. It needs to stay in the game.
It's part of the game.

"What happens on the ice, stays on the ice."

This is coming from a AAA Juniors player.
マリ「しあわっせはーあるいってこないだーからあるいってゆっくんだねーん 
いっちにっちいっぽみーかでさんぽ
 さーんぽすすんでにっほさっがるー 
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching

Best one was my sens, and **** I think it was buffalo, or might have been Detriot, whoever it was (last year), sens whooped their asses.

But serious talk, this is the whole reason the NHL is fading away, now I'm into the international hockey because they actually play hockey, and fights get you kicked out.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by culex-knight
It's part of the game.

It's true. I only played house league but have got in some fights and I don't hold anything against the player after the games, unless he deserves it off the ice.

But I can be a **** disturber when I'm playing too haha.
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
hockey with out the fights is like watching baseball-s*****y, boring and pointless in hockey its where the men can be men and see who's tougher
Hockey is suppose to have fights enhance the reason for enforcers, it's all strategic. Fights can change the pace of game. The best goalie fights though involve Hextal. Hextal was ****ing crazy.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
Dunno bout near you guys, but girls hockey in my area, southern ontario, is more violent than the men's league my brother plays in.
Fights are a part of hockey, it is a VERY physical sport. It doesn't beat around the bush, if you want to fight, you're allowed. Big brawls are bad, but one on one is fine, it just shows how much energy and emotion they have in the game. And plus, very few people actually get majorly hurt during a fight, more likely it happens during normal play.
Quote by coffeeguy9
Violent white men in uniforms and masks chasing around a small black thing with sticks.

No wonder black people aren't interested

I've heard that joke so many times and it still manages to make me chuckle, good job
Fighting in hockey is good within reason, but it can get out of hand pretty quickly if the officials are doing a shitty job.
Quote by coffeeguy9
Violent white men in uniforms and masks chasing around a small black thing with sticks.

No wonder black people aren't interested

haha amazing post. Never thought of that :P
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Fighting in Hockey is definitely part of the game, but largely an unnecessary part

I like it because its one of the few times where the players of a game hold other players accountable for their actions, cheap shots, snowing the goalie ect, you have to answer the bell to another player

but truth be told i think hockey is the most exciting game on the planet, it doesnt need the scraps but i dont really think the fights take away from the game at all
Quote by fishmunky
Fighting in Hockey is definitely part of the game, but largely an unnecessary part

u like it because its one of the few times where the players of a game hold other players accountable for their actions, cheap shots, snowing the goalie ect, you have to answer the bell to another player

but truth be told i think hockey is the most exciting game on the planet, it doesnt need the scraps but i dont really think the fights take away from the game at all

Yup I agree. It's weird how there is so much fighting in hockey and not close to as much in some sports like rugby. I've only ever seen one rugby fight (I'm from Canada and have played for 5 years) but I see a hockey fight almost every game I go to haha.
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Hockey does have to have violence,but they also need more focus to be on the actual game.Instead of OMG HOCKEY IS SO VIOLENT kind of publicity,we need the OMG HOCKEY ITS SO COOL publicity.This is coming frim a high school goalie.
meh
having played hockey for over 10 years, i dont think it will ever change, the energy and attitude on the ice is so strong. Its like nothing else, whenever im on the ice, im a totally different person, its hard to explain
Quote by kd420
Fights are a part of hockey, it is a VERY physical sport. It doesn't beat around the bush, if you want to fight, you're allowed. Big brawls are bad, but one on one is fine, it just shows how much energy and emotion they have in the game. And plus, very few people actually get majorly hurt during a fight, more likely it happens during normal play.

Technically you're not, that's why you get penalties, including the newer 'instigator' penalty for starting the fight. Nowadays it's more tradition than anything, but some times it has it's place.

Back when athletes had honour, fighting was necessary to keep the cheap stuff from happening to the best players. While guys like Gordie Howe would beat your ass himself, guys like Maurice Richard needed protection. Thus, the role of 'enforcer' was born. If you went after Richard, you had to answer to the tough guys who's only role was to beat some respect into you.

It's a different game today, but to an extent fighting still has it's place.

And you got to admit, fighting's a whole lot of fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMLnuV7HZ7g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaeURPkJTKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlozgaQnK7M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhFYd_ev5k
Quote by original=punk
We all know the joke "so I went to a boxing match last night, and all of a sudden, a hockey game broke out!"

Honestly, it annoys me alot, it deters from the meaning of the game, and I just wanna watch some hockey, y'know?
But come on, stuff like the Red Wings brawl of 1997 is just plain awesome. Like when Vernon Socked Roy right in face? Magic.

Opinions on the subject? Favourite fights?

i bet Holmstrom got blamed for that.

but yeah, that fight was in response for claude lemuex cross checking cris draper from behind into the dasher and crushing his face. and when it came time to fight he turtled. im still angry at him for that.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Quote by original=punk

FALCON PUUUNCH!
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by culex-knight
It's part of the game.

Some people like to take it out of the rink too
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by UncleCthulhu
I like the video where to goalkeeper gets his throat slashed...

That's the first thing that came to my mind when I opened this thread. I laughed...

I'm going to hell....

But I hate hockey, so I couldn't tell ya much about the fights.
Quote by heavyairship
i bet Holmstrom got blamed for that.

but yeah, that fight was in response for claude lemuex cross checking cris draper from behind into the dasher and crushing his face. and when it came time to fight he turtled. im still angry at him for that.

It's not his fault he's a wuss.
he stands in front of the net while everyone on the other team wails on him without consequence. how is that being a wuss?

oh wait, are you talking about lemuex? yeah that guy is a wuss.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
I went to a fight once and a hockey game broke out.

I can't take credit for that, I saw it in someones sig on the Dean Guitar Forums
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Hockey kicks ass, and I don't want it to change because we are the best at it. Well in two years we will be. lol. Fighting is great entertainment, Hockey+fighting= Awesome