Well me and my friend would reall like to start a band but we just cant write songs for crap, I just wanted to know if you guys had any advice.
Do you know theory? If not then that would be something useful to learn to help in writing music. Listening to many different artists also helps get past writer's block.
ittl come to you, just wait, or find a spot which makes it easier to write songs, strangely enough i always seem to come up with a good riff or two everytime i visit guitarcenter
Co founder and fifth member of the "I watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" club. pm Theplague925 or PapaSmurph to join.
Quote by axelmagic
Well me and my friend would reall like to start a band but we just cant write songs for crap, I just wanted to know if you guys had any advice.

Like.. musical writing <composing> or lyrical writing?

If lyrical, get a singer or something who can, depending on what position you cover

If musical.. try, you get better the more you do it.

EDIT: It probably wasn't necessary to quote you, my bad
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Last edited by Stratoblaster73 at Aug 9, 2008,
keep trying, or form a cover band, maybe learning other songs will teach you a bit about composition
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Dude, It Has To Come Naturally - Think At A Feeling You Had And Let It Rise (**** That Sound Bad Xd)
I to the Eye
G to the gold
R to the rock
A to the name
Quote by neoamir
Dude, It Has To Come Naturally - Think At A Feeling You Had And Let It Rise (**** That Sound Bad Xd)

Why do you capitalize every word in your sentences?
You're as bad as Tom Hess, capitalizing every "You"
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

from personal experience: if you haven't been playing that long, don't hope to compose anything really awesome just yet. you could do the thing where you think and hum out a song idea in your head and then put it to guitar, but how familiar you are with the fretboard is also important. if you learn to play more songs from different artists, you'll find out about different things that your fingers wouldn't be able to figure out themselves.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Well, first find the genre that you know and enjoy playing the most. I started out trying to write Pop-punk and I found myself completely dissatisfied with what I wrote, because it felt so simple to me. Then I got into writing more metal/rock stuff and I began to enjoy it more... and you just need to PRACTICE.

So, my tips to you are:

1) PRACTICE. The more you write, the more and more you find things that work well together (eg. what kind of riffs should have backing chord rhythms or what kind of riffs should be harmonized; what chord progressions give off a certain feel; etc etc.)

2) STUDY. Listen to bands in the genre of music you want to write. Break it down and get in their head. Find out HOW and WHY they wrote what they wrote.

3) THINK. Think of your favorite songs. What makes them your favorite? The riffing, the vocal work? Try to find out what YOU love in songs, and try your best to put that in to your own music.

I see a lot of people are suggesting theory, which is a good idea but definitely not required. As long as you have an ear for it, don't force yourself to learn theory because it will only disinterest you. You should probably try to get some understanding of major scales or minor scales though.

Or, you could find a group of people you mold well with and you can all get together and write. That's how plenty of bands write. Just make sure you're all on the same page with what you're trying to do.

I hope this helps.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Hmm... Sweet... go to my profile and look at my groups, im lookin for the same stuff you are, help with creating songs, learning all this stuff,, so i made a group like that... SOOOO if you can, Go take a look...Thanks
Quote by KoRn-FrEaK-15
Hmm... Sweet... go to my profile and look at my groups, im lookin for the same stuff you are, help with creating songs, learning all this stuff,, so i made a group like that... SOOOO if you can, Go take a look...Thanks

I can't.

It's private.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by KoRn-FrEaK-15

Stop promoting your group in all of the forums, its ****ing annoying!

As to the thread starter learn to apply your music theory in useful ways and experience is also a major factor.
As far as music theory, TREAD AT YOUR OWN RISK! It can help, but it can hurt if you focus too much on it. And I agree that playing other peoples stuff can help you get a sense of composition.