Page 1 of 2
I was looking on Musician's Friend, and saw this amp. I was wondering is it any good for a lower priced tube amp? Any feedback would be good.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
iTs really good if its your first tube amp. Its a great introduction.

I have one and love it.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
You can get much better used amps for $400 if you were willing.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I love my valve king 212.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Also another question. Would a Schecter Hellraiser FR, a Jackson RR3, or the Jackson RR24 Snow White (one that's used) be a better guitar to get?

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I like the Hellraiser.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
decent amp...with better speakers its a great amp
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Yeah, with a simple speaker change, it's a GREAT amp. Really good for a first tube....
O O

___
Quote by Snake™
Also another question. Would a Schecter Hellraiser FR, a Jackson RR3, or the Jackson RR24 Snow White (one that's used) be a better guitar to get?

RR24 by far.
Either the RR24 or the Hellraiser FR. The trems on them are just that much better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
id say schecter...there nice as hell
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
My bad on this, but in the guitar selection, would a blemished Kramer '85 Baretta Re-issue (USA made) be good? Thanks for the tips on the amp btw.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
bump

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
id say get the hellraiser over them, as much as i love jackson and since you said its a practice amp im assuming your gonna do a lot of sit down playing, not easy with an RR

but yeah peaveys are good amps =]

edit, i guess i only imagined that practicing part for some reason, but still true xD
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
It's 50W, so it's practice and a gig (small ones like birthday parties) amp.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
*bump (again. >.<

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
IMO, The valveking is the spider of tube amps.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Moe.
IMO, The valveking is the spider of tube amps.

The Spider Valve 112/212 is the spider of tubes

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Quote by MulanoSG
The Spider Valve 112/212 is the spider of tubes

It was a hyperbole dude.

The valvekings suck. Who wants to buy a valveking just to buy more tubes and speakers to make it sound better?
Moe, shut up. That's your opinion, don't try and pass it up as fact.
Lots of people seem to like Valvekings so Peavey must be doing something right. Get the RR24, it's a great guitar.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Moe, shut up. That's your opinion, don't try and pass it up as fact.
Lots of people seem to like Valvekings so Peavey must be doing something right. Get the RR24, it's a great guitar.

So I can't voice my opinion?

Yet you can?

Wow, you're just like a Chinese government.
Honestly, I just don't see a point in buying a Valveking for swapping the speaker and tubes, when you could just buy a nice 1x12 combo for the same amount.
Quote by Snake™
It's 50W, so it's practice and a gig (small ones like birthday parties) amp.

who says so i played at a birthday party with my 10 watt mg beat that we sucked bigtime but we went just for fun it was a friends birthday
yeah it rocks (or should i say it metallz?) I love this amp. I have been playing it for about 2 years and it is just awesome!
i don't completely agree with moe.............but he's close. i owned one for 3 days before i could no longer take the buzz everytime i played a G note or chord. which seems to be common with the cheap tubes peavey uses. also it is such a boxy sounding amp and the reverb is weak at best. can these problems be fixed sure! new speaker, new tubes, reverb pedal..............but if your buying all that might as well save for a better amp!
Quote by mmjohn
i don't completely agree with moe.............but he's close. i owned one for 3 days before i could no longer take the buzz everytime i played a G note or chord. which seems to be common with the cheap tubes peavey uses. also it is such a boxy sounding amp and the reverb is weak at best. can these problems be fixed sure! new speaker, new tubes, reverb pedal..............but if your buying all that might as well save for a better amp!

the lesson here is try before you buy?
Well, I've found that the Valveking can get some nice rock to classic rock tones with some quick EQing, not some heavy metal tones though, but the lead tone is awesome in my opinion, really nice, especially if you crank the amp, although it does break up a bit when you hit volume 8.5, otherwise you can get some nice tones out of it, but it may be a bit on the trebley side for metal, but it's generally awesome for a first tube amp, I got mine for half price too, so from my savings, I can afford a new speaker and tubes.
Quote by Epic_chef
the lesson here is try before you buy?

my wife purchased it as an anniversary gift............the lesson tell your wife what you want
I tried the Valveking recently at GC, it's OK. I wasn't able to get a LOLWTFUBERBR00TALZSHREDZORZ high-gain lead tone so I wouldn't buy it but if you know how to EQ it well, go for it.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Quote by XianXiuHong
Well, I've found that the Valveking can get some nice rock to classic rock tones with some quick EQing, not some heavy metal tones though, but the lead tone is awesome in my opinion, really nice, especially if you crank the amp, although it does break up a bit when you hit volume 8.5, otherwise you can get some nice tones out of it, but it may be a bit on the trebley side for metal, but it's generally awesome for a first tube amp, I got mine for half price too, so from my savings, I can afford a new speaker and tubes.

dude, there are these things called periods. use them
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Moe.

So I can't voice my opinion?

Yet you can?

Wow, you're just like a Chinese government.
Honestly, I just don't see a point in buying a Valveking for swapping the speaker and tubes, when you could just buy a nice 1x12 combo for the same amount.

Well, not really my opinion if loads of people like them. The RR24, in my opinion, is a great guitar sorry. Is there much difference in quality between the combo and say, if I were to buy a VK100 head and an orange PPC112 Cab?
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Well, not really my opinion if loads of people like them. The RR24, in my opinion, is a great guitar sorry. Is there much difference in quality between the combo and say, if I were to buy a VK100 head and an orange PPC112 Cab?

ther are alot of people who don't like them also........so moe can say what he wants!
Right fair enough. Same with everything then, some love it, some hate it etc. but he probably should respect people who do like it and refrain from saying it sucks.
RULE BRITANNIA
Nothing wrong with the Valve King 112, I have one and I'm happy with it
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Right fair enough. Same with everything then, some love it, some hate it etc. but he probably should respect people who do like it and refrain from saying it sucks.

i would agree with that.
I'll just state that it is what it is. It's a decent $400 starter tube amp. It's not the greatest and it's not the worst. It's $400.

I would say an Overdrive Pedal (like a Digitech Bad Monkey) or an EQ pedal is a must. My choice so far over new speaker and tubes. For most people the amp sounds like crap when playing for the first time in a store. The amp takes time to tweak and break in.

It will not do uber-modern metal, but is versatile enough to cover just about anything else on it's own.

And to the comment about 'Who wants to buy an amp only to turn around and upgrade it?' - The answer is - "I do". I'm looking forward to these future upgrades because I want to learn. In the mean time, it is what it is.

Also there is a "Only ValveKing Discussion Thread over in GG&A and a Users Group in my profile. Here is Discussion Thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737907
i have a valveking 112 and i think its actually a good amp
but you cant expect to sound like big band that use $1800 mesas if you use a $400 peavey.
yeah it sound better with modification... but which amp wouldnt
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
i think its a great amp for what it is, especially if you up the speaker and tubes.

I tried all the amps in sam ash and GC and for 400$ you just cant get any better tone.

Its personally my favorite amp under 800$, then you start to get some really nice used tube combos.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Page 1 of 2