This has nothing to do with setting up a trem, so dont say it's reported.

I have an ibanez trem, and i was going to restring it, when much to my displeasure, the bridge came off the posts.
More of an annoyance than a problem, but while it was off, i noticed my knife edges are weird.
One knife edge is like, straight on, while the other one is recessed.
What is up with this?
I'll post pics in a couple of minutes.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Pics as promised.
I'm really confused.

Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
that's fine, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Horlicks
Is it an Edge III?

It's an original Edge.

more to the point...why would you remove it...why...WHY???

It's going to be a bitch to get back on and get it restrung

"Always restring a Floyd ONE STRING AT A TIME!"

There's a reason people say it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ yeah, i thought it was an original edge too, but i didn't see the "licensed under floyd rose" thing just in front of the fine tuners...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, i thought it was an original edge too, but i didn't see the "licensed under floyd rose" thing just in front of the fine tuners...

Oh, you looked at the pics?

I just read this...

Ibanez RG550 20th RFR

...in his sig
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

ah, nice work hercule! that'd also explain why the "licensed" thing is missing, as the patent would have run out by the time those reissues were made.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull
It's an original Edge.

more to the point...why would you remove it...why...WHY???

It's going to be a bitch to get back on and get it restrung

"Always restring a Floyd ONE STRING AT A TIME!"

There's a reason people say it.

Then how do you clean the fretboard? Just do what some people do, put a 9v battery under the trem...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Then how do you clean the fretboard? Just do what some people do, put a 9v battery under the trem...

Take off string.

Clean that bit of fretboard

Replace string

Take of next string

Clean that bit of fretboard.

Rinse and repeat.

...the cleaning takes a little longer, but nowhere near as much time as having to re-string from scratch. Blocking the trem makes little to no difference, as soon as you remove the wedge you're right back to square one with all your strings out of tune, I prefer to be working with the tension I'm trying to balance.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Take off string.

Clean that bit of fretboard

Replace string

Take of next string

Clean that bit of fretboard.

Rinse and repeat.

...the cleaning takes a little longer, but nowhere near as much time as having to re-string from scratch. Blocking the trem makes little to no difference, as soon as you remove the wedge you're right back to square one with all your strings out of tune, I prefer to be working with the tension I'm trying to balance.

Sounds like too much work to me . To each on his own...
I do restring one string at a time when I don't need to clean the fretboard though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Wow.
A quite a bit of chatter going on.
I thought about it though, and i found out why it is there.
The reason the trem was out of the guitar is because i stuck something under the bridge to block it, removed all the strings, but then the trem popped out, and all the springs came undone too.
Lesson learned there.
And being that it's a maple board, i didn't really clean it with anything, as it is *i think* just an oiled neck. I have some ernie ball wonder wipes which i think i should have used but whatever.
As for the little curvature on the one knife edge, it is so that the bridge stays centered on the posts.
Or atleast thats the best explanation i could come up with.
Either way, she's restrung, and my bridge is back in place. Good deal.

Oh, and i didn't think it took any longer to do it from scratch either man.
Only my second time restringing a floyd and it only took me about 35-40 minutes. Everyone always complains about restringing floyd's, but its easy as cake, just takes a bit of time because you have to lock the bridge.

I think balancing out tension(i.e. going from Eb to E) takes 2x more patience, and a lot more time.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Aug 9, 2008,
that sounds like a lot of work, mark. i just take all the strings off... i don't normally have a major problem with rebalancing a trem, to be honest.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that sounds like a lot of work, mark. i just take all the strings off... i don't normally have a major problem with rebalancing a trem, to be honest.

I havent either.
Cept when i got the thing it was set up for Eb.
I had never balanced a bridge before, so it took me damn near 2 hours, because I had no idea what i was doing.
Now, as long as i stick with d'darrio 9's i dont have to adjust anything
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Wow.
A quite a bit of chatter going on.
I thought about it though, and i found out why it is there.
The reason the trem was out of the guitar is because i stuck something under the bridge to block it, removed all the strings, but then the trem popped out, and all the springs came undone too.
Lesson learned there.
And being that it's a maple board, i didn't really clean it with anything, as it is *i think* just an oiled neck. I have some ernie ball wonder wipes which i think i should have used but whatever.
As for the little curvature on the one knife edge, it is so that the bridge stays centered on the posts.
Or atleast thats the best explanation i could come up with.
Either way, she's restrung, and my bridge is back in place. Good deal.

Oh, and i didn't think it took any longer to do it from scratch either man.
Only my second time restringing a floyd and it only took me about 35-40 minutes.
Everyone always complains about restringing floyd's, but its easy as cake, just takes a bit of time because you have to lock the bridge.

I think balancing out tension(i.e. going from Eb to E) takes 2x more patience, and a lot more time.

If I do one string at a time it takes me 10 minutes
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull

I've always been slow at restringing. Even doing a fixed bridge takes me 25-30 minutes.
I always strech mine and stuff too, so after the 30 minutes, they're in tune. and going to stay in tune.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769

I've always been slow at restringing. Even doing a fixed bridge takes me 25-30 minutes.
I always strech mine and stuff too, so after the 30 minutes, they're in tune. and going to stay in tune.

Well, it'd take me 10 minutes if I didn't get distracted by things like internets and foods...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Well, it'd take me 10 minutes if I didn't get distracted by things like internets and foods...

by the way steven, it's interblags.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by steven seagull

it takes me ages doing one string at a time too...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it takes me ages doing one string at a time too...

People need to invent stainless steel strings that don't wear down!

Oh wait, stainless steel already exist

But srsly.

I hate floating bridges a lot.
Tuning is a pain, changing strings is a pain, balancing tension is a pain. In about 20 years knife edges will be a pain....
Oh well.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer