So, I've been playing guitar for more than a year, and I'm at this point where I feel I'm not going to get anywhere with my playing. I've been thinking this for a little while now, and I think that maybe I'm not doing this the 'right way'.

Everyday I grab my guitar, play a minor pentatonic, strum a few chords, and start to learn or finish a song. I know I have improved a lot from when I started, but am I doing this the right way? I feel this sense of helplessness due to the fact I have absolutely no guidance in my guitar playing. I have no teacher, I have myself. I don't know to much about music theory; I can name a lot of chords, maybe a few scales, but thats about it.

I really don't know what I should be doing. The way I practice is doing me just fine and I improve a little bit month-to-month, but what should I really be doing? I know I have a lot of potential for guitar, but I don't want to majorly **** it up and be learning the wrong way for years.

I know this sounds like a whiny little rant, but I really need someone here to tell me what I really should be doing. Should I just stop stressing out and continue how I am learning, or should I be doing something else?
LARGE TEXT
as long as your having fun it really doesn't matter
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
You can always take an assessment lesson or 2 and have the teacher point out anything you're doing wrong. Try to practice a lot of different genres to get different feels for the instrument.
just have fun with it and try to learn more, use internet lessons, find a book, read up on theory, just do watever you want
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
If you want to get better, you should focus on learning everything you can. The three main subjects of guitar play (IMO) are Music Theory, Technique and Ear Training. Spend maybe a half hour on each a day and you'll be sailing in no time.
Quote by B. Heath
as long as your having fun it really doesn't matter

I so agree. Always the most important above all else.
Learn Music Theory

Major Scale, Minor Scale, Blues scales, 7th chords, Chord progressions, Modes, the notes and which ones you're playing, Intervals, Triads etc.

Music Theory could easily a long time to learn and understand, so start!

Also work on technique? It may be boring but look up some guitar licks and advanced techniques such as Alternate picking, Sweep Picking, tapping, 4 finger tapping, legato. Use a metronome to get faster.

Figure songs out by ear, it will greatly increase your ear for music and ear training.

Also, for something more fun, just jam along to songs and solo to them, helps out the ear as well.

EDIT: O and the most important thing you can do with your instrument....WRITE SOME MUSIC, writing your own music is really what you should be doing with the instrument anyway, it is a voice for your creativity, an outlet which you can express yourself.
Quote by rizo299
"To: North Korea

Hey Kim DONG Il. Got nukes yet? DIDN'T THINK SO.

Here's some help with getting one built.

GOATSE.CX

Your pal Obama"

So if I want to learn theory, how would I start on that?
LARGE TEXT
www.musictheory.net

Do the lessons in order.

Make sure you understand everything completely before moving on. Music Thoery is based largely on systems and patterns, so it's pretty much impossible to learn without a good foundation.
Quote by Holy.
So if I want to learn theory, how would I start on that?

Lessons, if you can't afford it then go to www.musictheory.net but lessons are a much better direction.
Quote by The_Sophist
www.musictheory.net

Do the lessons in order.

Make sure you understand everything completely before moving on. Music Thoery is based largely on systems and patterns, so it's pretty much impossible to learn without a good foundation.

Do I need to learn about time signatures, note length, and those kind of things if I already know them? I play saxophone so I know about that.

Also, if I'm learning theory, this doesn't mean I NEED to read sheet music, right?
LARGE TEXT
Quote by Holy.
Do I need to learn about time signatures, note length, and those kind of things if I already know them? I play saxophone so I know about that.

Also, if I'm learning theory, this doesn't mean I NEED to read sheet music, right?

Being able to read notation in general is a must for learning theory. You can get away without learning to read music for guitar but it will make your life easier if you do.
There really is no "wrong" way. Focus on what you DONT know instead of what you already do. Learn different scales in all keys all over the neck. Then learn the chords in that scale all over the neck. Work on technique with a metronome. Ear train. Sight read. There's always something new to work on.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Quote by Holy.

I would say it'd be fine to skip over some of that. But if you can get to a point where you can sight read sheet music for guitar, by all means do it. It's not required, but it'll help a lot.
D:
Signature.
Your learning for you, so do whatever you want to do. I don't see any logical reason why you would learn something you already know, as long as your sure you know it.

As for reading music, I would suggest learning it, but that's just my opinion. Reading music is useful if you want a career in music or you want to play other peoples music. For todays "rock and roll" guitarist, I would say it's a fairly useless skill.
Quote by pwrmax
Being able to read notation in general is a must for learning theory. You can get away without learning to read music for guitar but it will make your life easier if you do.

So what exactly does the notation connect to?
LARGE TEXT
You could search for exercises on google. Or working on a song which is slightly too hard for you and practice it every day. You could make a daily scheme etc but most important is to have fun practicing
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by Holy.
So what exactly does the notation connect to?

Communicating musical ideas in a simple and comprehensible manner. IE: A lot.
D:
Signature.
Also play with other people, that will improve your sense of timing and rhythm in a way a metronome cant.
Up The Boro!
Quote by The_Sophist
Your learning for you, so do whatever you want to do. I don't see any logical reason why you would learn something you already know, as long as your sure you know it.

This.

Spend time playing and learning things that interest you and will keep you excited and passionate. Everyone plays for a different purpose, if you aren't enjoying it though I really can't see much purpose.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Alright guys, I think I'll just chill out about this whole thing. I'm gonna continue to learn things I enjoy and learn some new things that will help me out a bit more.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
LARGE TEXT