a different thread made me think bout this so i deided to start one on this topic. why have the lyrics in almost all genres of music become so unorginal. i guess i should say the story of almost all songs in any genre is the same. i know that il probally get if you want originality look outside the mainstream but i dont think i can look that far out there. metals become repetitive in and of itself, every subgenre has basicly the same lyrical plot to 1 if not all of their songs, the only genre in metal i can somewhat say that doesnt do that would be mathcore(look it up). raps more maistream genres have a lot of lyrics about the same thing, albeit outside of that i cant quite speak for, i will say nerdcore is quite original (MC Frontalot is their figurehea look him up and youll know what im talking about, also look up optimus ryhme), i guess pop has always been a 1 minded thing but it still gets old i mean when all the songs are about girls, parties, hooking up, etc, etc it gets old. even some of my favorite bands have repetative lyrical stories. has the lyric well run dry or am i just misunderstanding this.
also i hope i dont insult anyones style of music this is pointed towards style i think lyrical all styles are getting dull and very few bands are making anything new that will leave a big mark imo. so i if you think i offended you sorry. its just a question i wanted to know if anyone else shared my view and see waht other people think.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
They're so unoriginal because it's all been done before. (duh)

That or because people are focusing more on the music that they figure if has a good beat to it, nobody will notice the bland lyrics. And for the most part, it's been working quite well.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
1) Everyone falls in love some time, so many people write love songs. Corporate bastards with no feelings write love songs, too, cos it's a topic everyone can relate to.

2) Hate songs are less common because they're less accepted by the masses, however in the punk, metal and emo subgenres, they're quite popular

3) Metal lyrics were originally intended to sound spooky, and metallists that remain true to their roots continue that tradition. Either that or the same lyrics about sex, drugs and partying.

4) Judas Priest wrote a double concept album about Nostradamus.

5) If you think about it, there are only a certain number of concrete emotions, and most songs can be divided accordingly. You could write a song about, I dunno, Bob the Toaster, but that would be seen as a joke.
Quote by Retro Rocker
As I glanced through that horrible Wall o' Text I saw 'nerdcore'.
Please leave.

it is a thread i started so i dont see why i should leave, and nerdcore is a very good genre maybe your taking it at face value and therefore are being narrowminded

Quote by sashki
1) Everyone falls in love some time, so many people write love songs. Corporate bastards with no feelings write love songs, too, cos it's a topic everyone can relate to.

2) Hate songs are less common because they're less accepted by the masses, however in the punk, metal and emo subgenres, they're quite popular

3) Metal lyrics were originally intended to sound spooky, and metallists that remain true to their roots continue that tradition. Either that or the same lyrics about sex, drugs and partying.

4) Judas Priest wrote a double concept album about Nostradamus.

5) If you think about it, there are only a certain number of concrete emotions, and most songs can be divided accordingly. You could write a song about, I dunno, Bob the Toaster, but that would be seen as a joke.

i guess your 5 is right you can put songs into an area based on feeling the lyrics are trying to go for i neveer really thought about it like that
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Last edited by F8iscruel at Aug 9, 2008,
I dunno. I mean I guess some songs from the same bands or similar bands are a bit lyrically related.

Hit the Floor by Bullet for my Valentine
Bloodsucker by As Cities Burn
The Crimson by ATREYU

Those are metalcore/post-hardcore bands and the songs listed are about or related to Vampires. (A lil cheesy but I personally like all those songs.)

But, Master of Puppets and Ride the Lighting by Metallica are totally different songs, lyrically speaking.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Coheed and Cambria has some pretty interesting stuff.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
Coheed and Cambria has some pretty interesting stuff.

i have heard things about them, i think someone best described them as "coheed is a band where the indivdual songs are great but if you listen to them together in order they forma giant epic story" would this be a correct statment as i do not really listen to them
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by Retro Rocker
As I glanced through that horrible Wall o' Text I saw 'nerdcore'.
Please leave.

If anything I'd rather you left.

To get back on topic I'd like to add that I find a lot of lyrical content boring and derivative, I don't listen to any bands based solely on their lyrics nor would I not listen to a band if I only didn't enjoy their lyrics but it does, slightly albeit, affect my listening habits. I think so many bands fear to stray away from common subjects because they don't want to take a risk and sing about something that a lot of people may not be able to relate to or agree with.

I usually listen to instrumental music anyway.
Last edited by Broken_Drum at Aug 9, 2008,
You could always just not listen to music with lyrics. There are some amazing bands out there that don't use any lyrics at all.
Quote by Jonny616
You could always just not listen to music with lyrics. There are some amazing bands out there that don't use any lyrics at all.
Yeah, I personally could never do that and I don't encourage that.

Not enough people listen to lyrics, they're what make a song possible to connect to and special to someone. Unfortunately, pop bands that are becoming ever more famous are killing that art form. So, it's almost becoming impossible to be able to forcefully listen to the tripe lyrics they produce.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by Jonny616

i will say that out of all the bands i have listened to all the instrumentals are amazing that they have, but i think it gets quite dull not to hear vocals everynow and again. ill say pelican is great instumental band and all of metallicas instrumentals are nice to listen to, triviums the crusade is one of the songs i took ideas from to try and write songs out of.dont know if thats a flip in my opinion but thats what i view so if it is the mods can close m thread up.
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
i have heard things about them, i think someone best described them as "coheed is a band where the indivdual songs are great but if you listen to them together in order they forma giant epic story" would this be a correct statment as i do not really listen to them

Yh ur almost right...to keep it short, lead singer Claudio Sanchez used to/still does right comic books. All the work they have composed till now (4 albums) is a gigantic story about two main characters(Coheed/Cambria), plus bunch of other characters. Unfortunetly, with their latest album they have finished the story so theyre gonna have to figure out what to do the lyrics about next.

Coheed and Cambria is certainly a must have on your PC hard drive, besides they are an amazing band live too!
My songs lyrics are not. I own.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
My songs lyrics are not. I own.
I'd like to hear some, Mr. Bob Dylan Enthusiast.
Quote by Teh Forest King
pop music tends to repeat itself lyrically, however if you spent more time listening to artists who are making music because they love it, rather than making music to be famous you might find some more originality.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Quote by LaT3raluS
Yh ur almost right...to keep it short, lead singer Claudio Sanchez used to/still does right comic books. All the work they have composed till now (4 albums) is a gigantic story about two main characters(Coheed/Cambria), plus bunch of other characters. Unfortunetly, with their latest album they have finished the story so theyre gonna have to figure out what to do the lyrics about next.

Coheed and Cambria is certainly a must have on your PC hard drive, besides they are an amazing band live too!

see i was unsure of them, i dont mind listening to the one song i know by them but im not sure if i can get used to the vocalists voice, its realy high and i dont think i could sit and listen to that all the time, i get enough of that from wolfmother haha, but after you have said this i will give them a try next time i have money to (i dont use free places like limewire thats just me). so i guess if i do start listening to them from the first album. and what is the name of the comic and is it published?
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by Just Andrew
I'd like to hear some, Mr. Bob Dylan Enthusiast.

I'm sure you would. I have none recorded though. I need a mic first and foremost.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Cannibal Corpse, Metallica, Death, Dream Theater, Venom, Iron Maiden, Megadeth.

Covered alot of subgenres, now go search and tell me they all talk about the same thing.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by Popsai
Cannibal Corpse, Metallica, Death, Dream Theater, Venom, Iron Maiden, Megadeth.

Covered alot of subgenres, now go search and tell me they all talk about the same thing.

i think i have heard a dream theatre song and with no bs in this statement i swear it was to epic to pay attention to the lyrics it just all hit me at once if it is the song im thinking of it was on headbangersball and it wasa bunch of guys plsying in a cg place full of fire and buildings with valkires (<spelling) fighting throughout.
ive never ehard of venom ill look them up.
i listen to maiden a little bit and as i said there are a few exceptions same with metallica and megadeth
dont really listen to cannibal corpse, though i think i know one of their songs.
and ive heard clips of death, and if im correct it is the birthchild of the infamous chuck schudilger (i spelled that wrong i hope i was at least in the ballpark of his last name) and their not that bad
but i dont like listening to bands if i cant make out more than 10% of the lyrics in a song (except for gunshot to the head of trepidation it just has a good back beat to it
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
see i was unsure of them, i dont mind listening to the one song i know by them but im not sure if i can get used to the vocalists voice, its realy high and i dont think i could sit and listen to that all the time, i get enough of that from wolfmother haha, but after you have said this i will give them a try next time i have money to (i dont use free places like limewire thats just me). so i guess if i do start listening to them from the first album. and what is the name of the comic and is it published?

Don't really listen to Lat3raluS, he's not very correct.

Anyways, all of Coheed's CD's tell the story of The Amory Wars, which tells the story of Claudio (name of the lead the singer, Claudio Sanchez), who is seeking revenge for the murder of his parents, Coheed and Cambria. It's a really long and complicated story that I still don't really get.

Anyways they have 4 albums out, the first being part 2, while the latest album was the final part. The next album will part 1 (the prequel). It's pretty interesting stuff. The lyrics are pretty awesome because no matter if listen to them in context with the story or not, they're still incredible.

Anyways yeah they publish the Amory Wars. You can get them off Coheed's website.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Because there are only so many conventions in lyric writing. However, there's still some good writers in the music industry. They're just not right in front of your eyes.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
People write lyrics with concepts that other people can relate to and/or like. Love songs are so universal because everyone's wanted to love/loved someone at one point or another. As for getting more specific like topics about vampires and stuff, there's certain ideas that are easily romanticized and therefore appealing. That's why the ideas are reused. If you really want stuff you've never heard about before, listen to indie. Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel is the most original lyricist I've ever heard that can still convey a meaningful message.
Quote by F8iscruel
i think i have heard a dream theatre song and with no bs in this statement i swear it was to epic to pay attention to the lyrics it just all hit me at once if it is the song im thinking of it was on headbangersball and it wasa bunch of guys plsying in a cg place full of fire and buildings with valkires (<spelling) fighting throughout.
ive never ehard of venom ill look them up.
i listen to maiden a little bit and as i said there are a few exceptions same with metallica and megadeth
dont really listen to cannibal corpse, though i think i know one of their songs.
and ive heard clips of death, and if im correct it is the birthchild of the infamous chuck schudilger (i spelled that wrong i hope i was at least in the ballpark of his last name) and their not that bad
but i dont like listening to bands if i cant make out more than 10% of the lyrics in a song (except for gunshot to the head of trepidation it just has a good back beat to it

Fair enough.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by BlackandSilver
I dunno. I mean I guess some songs from the same bands or similar bands are a bit lyrically related.

Hit the Floor by Bullet for my Valentine
Bloodsucker by As Cities Burn
The Crimson by ATREYU

Those are metalcore/post-hardcore bands and the songs listed are about or related to Vampires. (A lil cheesy but I personally like all those songs.)

But, Master of Puppets and Ride the Lighting by Metallica are totally different songs, lyrically speaking.

Hit The Floor is about rape, not vampires.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
coheed's lyrics do tell a sstory but they're criptic as hell.

Pearl Jam, best lyricists in rock.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
coheed's lyrics do tell a sstory but they're criptic as hell.

Pearl Jam, best lyricists in rock.

i love their lyrics in almost all of the songs that i have by them, only problem is i dont fully understand what he is saying in yellow ledbetter, but i really dont worry about it to much because the solos in that song just trancsend everthing when you hear them, no matter how many times you do.
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
There's a finite things that can be written about, plain and simple. Most lyrics that would be considered 'original' don't make sense. Well, they do, but they're so cryptic that they could be about anything. Nothing wrong with that, some of my favorite artists (Radiohead, Bob Dylan, Aesop Rock, and many more in many different genres) could be described as doing that.

That being said, it is possible to tackle common themes using original metaphors, word choices and such, or just to capture something so damn well it doesn't matter. Two of my favorite writers in this regard are Craig Finn (The Hold Steady) and Jack Johnson. Most people just aren't capable of doing that. But hey, when you do find someone who can, it's just all the better and noticeable in comparison.