i just bought a jazz bass at my local music store (a fender, not a squier). It was new and i paid around 500 dollars for it. It says it is the standard jazz bass, but i jus looked online at the fender pricelist and it says that the american standard jazz bass costs 1200 dollars or something. I was just wondering why mine was so cheap, aare there two different kinds or something? Mine does say that its made in mexico, is that why it was so cheap? Also, if there are two different kinds, what are the differences between them?

thanks in advance for any and all help=]
there's the MIM standard which you own, it's made in mexico, not as good quality as the made in america models
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
American ones have a better set up and quality control than Mexicans. I have an MIM J-Bass and I love it, I once tried an American one and the differences aren't huge.
Quote by Deadbassist135
i just bought a jazz bass at my local music store (a fender, not a squier). It was new and i paid around 500 dollars for it. It says it is the standard jazz bass, but i jus looked online at the fender pricelist and it says that the american standard jazz bass costs 1200 dollars or something. I was just wondering why mine was so cheap, aare there two different kinds or something? Mine does say that its made in mexico, is that why it was so cheap? Also, if there are two different kinds, what are the differences between them?

thanks in advance for any and all help=]

You got the Standard that's MIM. The american standard is made in Fender's California shop and the one you got was made in Fender's Ensenada, Mexico shop. Just look on Fender's website and compare the two side by side and you'll see what's different about them. The main reason that the american standard is so much is because it's made with much more better quality than the MIMs, but the MIAs come with many for upgrades. I'm not saying that the MIMs are bad. I have one and I think some MIMs feel almost if not as good as a MIA
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Aug 9, 2008,
ok, thanks guys. Im happy with the one i have, and theres no way i could afford the MIA anyways, im already gonna be in debt after this one lol.
Quote by cc807436
better Quality or more expensive labor.
hmmm...now that u said that I'm thinking that's it's more expensive labor. The people at the Mexican factory use the same types of machines as the people in Fender California. Also, the people at the Mexican factory aren't just your run-of-the-mill worker. They have to be taught how to do things like insert frets, insert inlays, etc. There's this stigma in America that something is better quality just because it's made in america.
Squier VM TB Bass
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by Deadbassist135
ok, thanks guys. Im happy with the one i have, and theres no way i could afford the MIA anyways, im already gonna be in debt after this one lol.

Sorry for double post.

You should post a pic of it so we UG'ers can see it. You can see my MIM in the new "show off your bass" thread and in my profile.
Squier VM TB Bass