I built a custom bass cabinet and put a 4-conductor speakon on it for a Gallien Krueger bi-amped system... 700W to 4 12's, and 50W to a horn. I thought it worked ok when I first hooked it up, but now I'm actually testing it and realized that my tweeter is extremely quiet. If I turn the woofer amp all the way down and the tweet amp all the way up, I can still barely hear the horn. I'm assuming it's in my amp because the hiss/noise from the horn increases with turning the tweeter amp knob... there's just no music. I can turn it all the way up and the sound of my bass strings are much louder than what's coming out of the horn.

Any ideas?
I can't really help, but, I'd thought I'd have a go, so firstly, tried it with a different cab?
If so, go to a shop and try a different Gallien Krueger bi-amp on your cab, or something similar. Isolate the problem, somehow.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
I can't really help, but, I'd thought I'd have a go, so firstly, tried it with a different cab?
If so, go to a shop and try a different Gallien Krueger bi-amp on your cab, or something similar. Isolate the problem, somehow.

No, haven't tried it with a different cab because I'd have to drive 2.5 hours to the nearest Guitar Center and plug in to one of their new ones. Nobody has a bi-amped GK system around here.

I did notice though... I get alot more sound out of the horn if I use the "boost" on the preamp on the amp itself. You have to turn the boost most of the way up then the woofer amp down for it to sound normal and useful. Maybe that's perfectly normal, I don't know for sure. Unless the boost is cranked, I can have the tweeter amp full blast and don't hardly get anything out of it. Just seems kinda weird.
Last edited by corndogggy at Aug 9, 2008,
I don't mean to be an ass, but you will probably get much more helpful responses in the bass fourm. The guys over there know their bass stuff much better than us GG&Aers
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Hmm.
Are the cable connections all fine? If a wire or something is loose everything ends up quiter then normal, so, from I'm being told, either one of your cables has a fault, a cable is loose, or wiring in the amp OR the cab is loose.

I'm guessing you've done this already, but I'll say it just in case:
Have you tried it with different cables (amp to cab) to make sure the cables are working fine, and are you using the correct cables, and not the standard guitar ones (you never know! You might have wrong ones by mistake).
If that doesn't solve it, you might need to check the wiring at the "input" jacks on the cab - maybe the amp too. Since you've built the bass cab I guess you're quite experienced, so I trust that you can check all the wirings easily, etc., if not already done so.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by kool98769
I don't mean to be an ass, but you will probably get much more helpful responses in the bass fourm. The guys over there know their bass stuff much better than us GG&Aers

Most of you guys are so picky about which forum to put it in... if I had put it there they would have said to put it in the guitar gear forum. I'll try there.