Lately i've been beginning to practice more and more, and my left hand is hurting A LOT.
At first, i used the thumb over neck technique, but wished to play more legato etc., so used to thumb behind the neck. I think I'm doing it waay wrong

I've read countless articles, and watched the videos by Freepower, and other videos.. but I can't seem to get it right.
When practicing, I don't arch my thumb backwards, yet it still strains

EDIT:
I don't normally have my wrist bent at all, it's usually straight, or going out at an angle just barely like a classical player.. it's bent because the position I was in to take the picture
Quote by 666nate666
From the looks of it.....you must tidy your room

i thought the same thing after i took the pictures so I did haha

Quote by TheShred201
Hmm...maybe try to play around with your thumb placement a little? For me personally, it's a bit farther back than yours.

by farther back, do you mean closer to the middle of the neck?
so, if your arm is in fact not jabbed into your side like you said, try positioning your thumb more parallel to the neck, as opposed to perpendicular how you have it. classical players tend to play with the thumb more perpendicular to the neck, but since you presumably won't be doing much barring, the hybrid position with a parallel thumb might help.
There's a video on the myspace link in my signature..
are my left elbow and arm in the correct position? If so, would I just move my thumb down a little bit down the neck a little bit, and have it be in the right spot?

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mNPiwSEyuE
Last edited by Kick2theOvaries at Aug 9, 2008,
Quote by Kick2theOvaries

I don't normally have my wrist bent at all, it's usually straight, or going out at an angle just barely like a classical player.. it's bent because the position I was in to take the picture

If that's true and you aren't just pushing down too hard on the frets, then it's probably just overuse. Apply common sense if you feel pain and stop.

Also, looking at your vid (sans sound ) I think your pinky could do with a bit more relaxation, it looks really tense most of the time. Your wrist posture seems fine, and your right hand looks pretty relaxed, both of which are good things.
Can I just ask what part of your thumb/hand is experiencing the strain? Is it down the back of your hand, the muscle that runs up your thumb along the side of your palm, or something else?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.