Hi! Few questions for the people who feel like answering them I've been playing guitar for about 4,5 years now, and when I started I bought some stuff without any experience, resulting in an Marshall MG 100 HFDX top and cabinet (bad choise..) and a Boss ME-50 multi effect pedal (think it's pretty good for home but the distortion sucks in my opinion and I wouldnt use it on stage). Anyway, since a few months I'm in a band which is starting to grow pretty fast, and I was wondering what the pedals are that I really need on stage. I don't have ANY idea about pedals, except that I know I'd like the Boss DD-7. Sooooo.. if you could give me any advice, would be great :P

~ Michel

ps: the style of our band is a bit between Opeth and Children of Bodom.
Check out my band (epic folk/death metal) at www.amorgen.org and add us to your favorite social networks!

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C7
Ibanez RG 2620
ENGL Powerball 2
ENGL 2 x 12" PRO Slanted E212VH
TC Electronic G-major 2
Behringer FCB1010
first get rid of the MG and get a tube amp.
Then worry about pedals
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
tube amp.

this

Quote by Ghold125
new amp.

this

Quote by lefthandman9876
tube amp

and this my friend
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
a good OD never hurts...
Epi Les Paul Classic
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Pignose 7-100 amp
Supro high-gain pocket amp
Epi Acc w/ soundhole pup

I have 2 heads, but only enuff blood to run 1 @ a time. Gravity pulls down. Not My Fault, Girls!
yea, get a better amp because thats probably why you dont like the distortion on your pedal. id say for a good range of effects...wah wah, flanger, delay, chorus, muff, unique distortions. thats pretty much all you would really need. i have a digitech ex7 expression pedal and it has 7 distortions and 7 effects and they dont all sound too great but they get the job done at home. and if your gonna be between the opeth and COB then i would just suggest a better amp. just get a 212 (2x12" speaker, hence 212) combo amp that has tubes in it or you can just get a half stack for a little bit more of the combo version (typically). overall half stacks are cheaper in the long run because you dont have to pay 600 bux for a combo with poped tubes and good speakers (or visa versa) whyle you can just pay 450 or however much for the new head and 300 or so for the cab. you truely get better distortions over all out of your amp. i wouldent really worry bout pedals and little toys like that till you really feel like adding some into your songs. its pretty hard to do that imo.
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Sell the MG and get a new amp

/parrot
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Hmm, sounds pretty clear then xD but yeah, if I get rid of the pedal I have some more to spend on an amp, I like using the amp's distortion though, didn't hear much distortion pedals, but the ones that I heared didn't sound so great compared to the distortions build into the amps.. by the way, what is used more often? Delay or reverb (in your overall sound)? Or is that a matter of taste? And would one need a boost? And a compressor? :P Lots of questions O_o
Check out my band (epic folk/death metal) at www.amorgen.org and add us to your favorite social networks!

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C7
Ibanez RG 2620
ENGL Powerball 2
TC Electronic G-major 2
Behringer FCB1010
Sell mg. Get tube amp.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
The gimmick with the multifx things is that they do alot of things mediocre and not one thing really astounding

Sell the ME-50 and the MG (preferably to someone who's stupid enough to buy it)
and get a powerful hi-gain amp (Peavey 5150, bugera 333xl, used Peavey XXX, just to give you some ideas) and get a tuner pedal. Single most useful pedal PERIOD.
You don't actually need any pedals, people just get them to enhance or modify their sound.
If you want a certain sound, you get the pedal or rack unit to obtain said sound.

For me, I would like to own a multitude of effects becuase I love experimenting with new and different sounds. I'll probably end up getting a hand wah, a multi-fold OD, 2 different wahs, a crazy phaser, a freaky flanger, a guitar synth type pedal... anything that sounds different but musical is what i'm after!

With the kind of music you are playing, it does not require many different effects other than say maybe a good delay or chorus (hopefully your amp will have reverb)
Quote by Highwaytohell
The gimmick with the multifx things is that they do alot of things mediocre and not one thing really astounding

Sell the ME-50 and the MG (preferably to someone who's stupid enough to buy it)
and get a powerful hi-gain amp (Peavey 5150, bugera 333xl, used Peavey XXX, just to give you some ideas) and get a tuner pedal. Single most useful pedal PERIOD.
You don't actually need any pedals, people just get them to enhance or modify their sound.
If you want a certain sound, you get the pedal or rack unit to obtain said sound.

For me, I would like to own a multitude of effects becuase I love experimenting with new and different sounds. I'll probably end up getting a hand wah, a multi-fold OD, 2 different wahs, a crazy phaser, a freaky flanger, a guitar synth type pedal... anything that sounds different but musical is what i'm after!

With the kind of music you are playing, it does not require many different effects other than say maybe a good delay or chorus (hopefully your amp will have reverb)

this
here's what you do:
a. sell the mg and the boss
b. buy one of the amps he mentioned (all are pretty good)
c. buy a tuner (boss tu-2 or maybe the korg pitchblack) AND a noise suppressor (yes for high gain stuff you pretty much HAVE to have a noise suppressor, the isp decimator is the best
d. buy the dd-7 if you like digital delay and a bunch of awesome effects, as well as a chorus, personally is my most used effect
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Haha yeah Highwaytohell nailed it ^^ thanks people, hmm, don't know about the noise surpressor, but you're probably right think 125 euro's (about 145 dollars I think..) is a good price for the Boss? If so, I can sell it tonight xD

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C7
Ibanez RG 2620
ENGL Powerball 2
TC Electronic G-major 2
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by Esparcia at Aug 9, 2008,
Quote by Esparcia
Haha yeah Highwaytohell nailed it ^^ thanks people, hmm, don't know about the noise surpressor, but you're probably right think 125 euro's (about 145 dollars I think..) is a good price for the Boss? If so, I can sell it tonight xD

not sure on the price
but what i should say is if you're playing gigs and such, or at high volumes, you'll get a lot of feedback without one
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
ahhh ok, so it's for feedback, any negative side effects when using a noise surpressor?

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C7
Ibanez RG 2620
ENGL Powerball 2
TC Electronic G-major 2
Behringer FCB1010
i don't think you need a noise surpressor. Don't let others opinions pick what you need, unless of course you agree. It all depends on what you want, what music you like, what your into, etc. Going through your favorite bands, guitarists, and their music, find the effects you would like. Looking at one of these guitarist's rig will let you know what effect is good for a sound. First, find out what sounds you can get out of a new amp; with that, trying effects at a guitar store is probably your best way to choose.

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Quote by Esparcia
ahhh ok, so it's for feedback, any negative side effects when using a noise surpressor?

they can take away tone or volume.

Unless you get the right one and set it to the right setting.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
The complete pedalboard should basically have 6 pedals at minimum. A wah, a compressor, a distortion/overdrive, an EQ, a type of modulation, and a delay.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
For me all i need is a compressor, Eq, Delay, noise gate if my amp is really noisy, and reverb if my amp don't have any
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by Ghold125
but every one should have a wah pedal

Yay! A world where everyone's solos sound the same!

To TS: If you've got an Opeth influence, check out Laney amps.
Quote by Esparcia

try pushing it to say 135 euros and put that up on ebay or craiglist asap. do the same with the marshall (unless you have gigs upcoming, make do until after gigs)
than start your quest to find a good metal amp like one of the ones i mentioned

You don't need a noise surpressor unless you're having noise problems with your setup (too much feedback, hum etc). I'm going to buy one because of the excessive feedback I get when I turn up my OD, most likely either saving for the ISP Pro-rack or just getting the decimator pedal. You should be fine otherwise. For now, just get rid of some of that gear... and start amp hunting!
Quote by chipmunksurfer
i don't think you need a noise surpressor. Don't let others opinions pick what you need, unless of course you agree. It all depends on what you want, what music you like, what your into, etc. Going through your favorite bands, guitarists, and their music, find the effects you would like. Looking at one of these guitarist's rig will let you know what effect is good for a sound. First, find out what sounds you can get out of a new amp; with that, trying effects at a guitar store is probably your best way to choose.

again, high volumes + high gain= high noise and feedback
so if you don't want to be able to really properly play at high levels, don't get a noise suppressor
(and btw chipmunksurfer, rap isn't good because its not even music, its overly commercial bull****, doesn't even have anything to do with guitar)
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
haha ok great, amp hunting it is then, I just don't get something, why are a lot of people talking about OD pedals? Well.. I mean, if your amp has a great OD, I don't get why you would want one, or are there just many people with a crap amp OD?

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C7
Ibanez RG 2620
ENGL Powerball 2
TC Electronic G-major 2
Behringer FCB1010
It depends on what you do.

If you just play, like, straight up metal, you're not really gonna need any effects... maybe some delay and a wah, and a good od pedal and/or treble boost never hurt anyone, nor did an equalizer. But your amp is obviously gonna be your biggest tone shaper.

Now if you play the kind of bullcrap I do, you'll need a lot of crazy effects and processors. But since you don't, stuff like that is purely optional.

However if you ever have any spare cash to burn I would highly recommend getting a good loop station. I've got a Roland RC-50 and it's a fucking dream. The nice one like I've got is expensive but it was worth every damn penny.

Quote by acdclandon

(and btw chipmunksurfer, rap isn't good because its not even music, its overly commercial bull****, doesn't even have anything to do with guitar)

I would like to point out that that's just the radio crap. I'm not really a rap fan but there is some really great groups out there with lots of talent.

Plus many rappers and hiphop artists take live bands touring with them. Including guitarists.
Last edited by Wonthefu at Aug 13, 2008,
I'm all for tube amps, but some people swear any tube amp will pwn any solid state. There are some descent SS amps, and some ****ty tube amps.

Just get what you like.
You don't need any pedals. You may be perfectly happy with the tone you get just from a better amp. The only pedal I personally feel like I need is a wah pedal. And even without one, i'd be happy. Find the effects that really compliment what you do, and that you can put to good use, and go for those. Don't buy up a bunch of pedals because you feel like you can't play metal without a full pedal board.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
No one can really tell you what effects you need. I mean, they can approximate based on your style of music, but you may end up not liking effect X or not needng effect y. You should, if you can, go to your local music store, and try out their collection. Find out what you like and go from there.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by Esparcia
haha ok great, amp hunting it is then, I just don't get something, why are a lot of people talking about OD pedals? Well.. I mean, if your amp has a great OD, I don't get why you would want one, or are there just many people with a crap amp OD?

Alot of people use Overdrive pedals on already overdriven amps (preferably with the gain down a bit) in order to tighten up the sound. I use an OD with my amp becuase It gets it that extra balls to push into metal territory. If you're already looking into hi-gain amps, you may not even need an OD.
1) This thread is hilarious.

2) Anyone recommending Peavey gear (especially over Marshall) is nuts. Peavey anything is garbage.

3) No pedals at all? Really? Please show me 3 well know players that do not have a huge pedal board.
Quote by Prophet21
1) This thread is hilarious.

2) Anyone recommending Peavey gear (especially over Marshall) is nuts. Peavey anything is garbage.

3) No pedals at all? Really? Please show me 3 well know players that do not have a huge pedal board.

It's also 5 years old...

And you appear to be an idiot uninformed...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin