So my friend wants to learn guitar, he wants to play metal, but i think he need to get some basics down first, because though he can alternate pick fine, he has trouble when it comes to simple things such as moving from powerchords on one string to another.

eg:

e:- - - - - - -
B:- - - - - - -
G:- 5 - - - - -
D:- 5 - - 2- -
A:- 3 - - 2- -
E:- - - - 0- -

So could you make any suggestions for some easy metal or hard rock songs that would help him get to grips with simple stuff like this. he ultimately wants to be able to play rhythm to bands like Bodom, Norther and Dark Tranquility, so i suppose some stuff with some simple harmonies would be helpful to.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
teach him the riff to ac/dc T.N.T its pretty simple for chord-string change
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
that sounds kinda backwards i got chord switching way b4 i got alternate picking, but anyways. right side of the bed by atreyu, there's a solo but it shouldnt be too bad, and it combines what he's good at ( alternative picking) and what he's bad at ( chord slides). but has some pinch harmonics but once he gets pinch harmonics he should be fine
he can do pinch harmonics too, when he just messed around with my guitar he wanted to be able to do them, cheers for all the suggestions

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Smells Like Teen Spirit-Nirvana
In Bloom-Nirvana
This works for almost any situation....

Quote by PaulyVengeance
Punch it. Punch it until it goes away.
Child in Time - Deep Purple

CCG
CCG
CCF
CCG

I think those are the chords, you can check the tabs on this site for it. Learning the transistion from C to G and to F over and over and back again, helped me the most. Power chords didn't. IMO>
Quote by mystical_1
Child in Time - Deep Purple

CCG
CCG
CCF
CCG

I think those are the chords, you can check the tabs on this site for it. Learning the transistion from C to G and to F over and over and back again, helped me the most. Power chords didn't. IMO>

In the first position, I should add. Sorry.
Can he use all his fingers? You should teach him Dave Mustaine's claw-something-or-another method
A|-4-3-
E|-2-1-

for the first chord, using fingers 2 and 4, and use fingers 1 and 3 for the second. Easier to switch and it'll sound cleaner.
Quote by RPGoof
for the first chord, using fingers 2 and 4, and use fingers 1 and 3 for the second. Easier to switch and it'll sound cleaner.

yeah i was trying to teach him that, he was learning Cry by Norther, and its got that kind of thing going on in it

A:- 3 - 2
E:- 1 - 0

thats easier that what you suggested, but he was getting there with it.

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Try the main rhythm riff of "Knocking on heaven's door" of GnR
It's as popular as always.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW