So I went in to my local music store today, with 1000 dollars.

The amps I tried were the Peavey Valveking 112 first, Traynor YCS50 second, and finally a Peavey Classic 30. Then I tried the Maxon OD808, OD-9 and a Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking:
I wanted to try it out to see what all this hype is about with it being a great budget tube amp, and that it does all styles okay. So I plugged in with my HSS MIM strat, and started messing around with it. I Thought it was a great amp actually, especially for the price, it had a nice tubey clean, that could get nice and warm and jazzy, or almost a fendery type clean with lots of bright chimy highs. I would have liked to see a gain control on the clean channel though. The Overdrive channel i found to not have enough low gain control. I found it to get to be pretty overdriven pretty fast on the gain control. At 3 the gain was already pretty high, I didn't think it had that great of a blues tone. It played classic rock pretty good, and it definitely had enough gain for me to play metal on.

Traynor YCS50: After reading peoples opinions on this amp/other traynor amps, i was almost hard set on buying this amp today. It had EVERY feature I could ever need, and it had so many things that seemed awesome.(US/BRIT voicing change, scoop, modern switch, 15-50 watt switch, presence control, gain control for both channels, all that jazz)But when I actually plugged in, it didn't make me that happy for the price difference between it and the valveking. I spent a good half hour with it, and I got good tones, but they weren't worth the extra coin IMO. I was actually pretty unhappy about that. Another thing was how amazed i was at the size of it lol. A lot bigger than it seems in the pictures.

Peavey Classic 30: I really wanted to try this amp, I hear great things about it and people raving about how good the sound is. They're right! I instantly fell in lvoe with the warm tone of the clean channel, and the breakup was golden around 5 on the volume(once I hit 4, it was as loud as my 30 watt SS on high gain with all controls/volume maxed) Great blues tone. I switched it over to the overdrive channel and drifted away. The sound was unbelievable compared to the Traynor and the valveking. Even though the classic 30 costs 350 dollars less where I got it than the others, it had a better sound IMO. I then pulled out a Maxon OD-9, and a maxon od808, and a digitech bad monkey, and a/b'd them. I found the maxon od808 to let the natural guitar characteristics to come through more. But the OD-9 and the Bad monkey actually sounded the same to me unbelievable for the price difference but they both sounded VERY similar.

The Outcome: I decided on the Classic 30. The Model they had on the floor was 3 years old(so it had the old cosmetics), and it was in black. I wanted it in tweed, and I liked the vintage look of the new ones better. So I talked to the guy at the front and we worked out a deal. The C30 that was in the floor was $539, the reason for this price is because when they ordered it, the dollar was much higher, so the amp cost them more from the states. He actually let me in on the secret, if I ordered a tweed C30 right now, it would only be $509 for me... The reason for this is because the dollar is so close now, it costs them A LOT less to get an amp from the USA. So I ordered a new model, tweed C30, for 30 dollars less than an older C30 in black.

The amp will be here in two weeks minimum, in the mean time I am going to be ordering pedals off BYOC and building them. I WILL MAKE A NEW THREAD WITH SOUND CLIPS AND AMP P0RN!!!!!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
What BYOC pedals are you getting?
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Excellent choice my friend

I fell in love with the C30 when i turned up the gain and was like... Why do people say you can't play metal out of this? and proceded to blast Symphony of Destruction solo! go!

I actually bought a Zenith Arteffects OD for it... and I really like it (lotsa feedback though, probably becuase of my single coil!) Gives it that extra balls but sounds extremely transparent.

Kudos man!
Quote by UpTheIrons!
What BYOC pedals are you getting?

I'm looking at getting:
The Large Beaver
250+
Overdrive
Maybe a compressor
Maybe triboost
and Then I'll probably jsut buy a Boss DD-3, and a EH chorus or something, and an MXR EQ
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by Highwaytohell
Excellent choice my friend

I fell in love with the C30 when i turned up the gain and was like... Why do people say you can't play metal out of this? and proceded to blast Symphony of Destruction solo! go!

I actually bought a Zenith Arteffects OD for it... and I really like it (lotsa feedback though, probably becuase of my single coil!) Gives it that extra balls but sounds extremely transparent.

Kudos man!

Thanks! I really like how transparent the OD808 is, I'm hoping the BYOC overdrive is as transparent, if it isn't i can just sell it, and buy a nice boutique OD.

How did those JJ's complement it? Are they just the power tubes? or pre amp too?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
You should try building simple pedals like the 250 by yourself, on perfboard or stripboard
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
UG seems to be divided on the Valveking; half of them hate it and the other half love it.

I fall into the other half, but I also had to pay $718 for mine after shipping charges (even with a discount! jamaicasux.) Glad to see a non-biased review from someone for a change instead of people just riding bandwagons off of cliffs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by UpTheIrons!
You should try building simple pedals like the 250 by yourself, on perfboard or stripboard

I was thinking about it, but I'm not sure where to get all the parts, I'm in canada so there are dutys on parts from the USA

Quote by Raijouta
UG seems to be divided on the Valveking; half of them hate it and the other half love it.

I fall into the other half, but I also had to pay $718 for mine after shipping charges (even with a discount! jamaicasux.) Glad to see a non-biased review from someone for a change instead of people just riding bandwagons off of cliffs.

Thanks
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
There must be component shops in Canada, surely?
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
Quote by UpTheIrons!
There must be component shops in Canada, surely?

I can't find any, and I asked today at my music store and the owner gets his stuff from stewmac in the states
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
Thanks! I really like how transparent the OD808 is, I'm hoping the BYOC overdrive is as transparent, if it isn't i can just sell it, and buy a nice boutique OD.

How did those JJ's complement it? Are they just the power tubes? or pre amp too?

Both Power and Pre... When they die I'm not sure which tubes i'll try out.... maybe some ruby tubes or the special high-gain jj set
Quote by Highwaytohell
Both Power and Pre... When they die I'm not sure which tubes i'll try out.... maybe some ruby tubes or the special high-gain jj set

you should try low break up JJ's in the power amp and like low break up tung sols in the pre
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I was just wondering, what would be a good speaker/tube combo for the C30?o
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
A JJ EL84/Tungsol 12AX7 + Weber Alnico Blue clone would = awesome for a classic.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
A JJ EL84/Tungsol 12AX7 + Weber Alnico Blue clone would = awesome for a classic.

thanks dark! I'm so happy I finally got some coin and ordered an amp, it's been a long time researching/reading the GG&A Forums
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Yeah, I owned a classic 50 for a year. Truly great amps for the price.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Yeah, I owned a classic 50 for a year. Truly great amps for the price.

that's just it, it sounds like it's worth A LOT more than it is
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by darkarbiter7

is the alnico blue clone worth the 200 dollar price tag? and also, what wattage should i get then, would 25 work?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by Highwaytohell
I'm sticking a warehouse Reaper into mine, but i'm a metal player so thats what works for me...

how do you get the C30 to play metal
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Well, I just suggested the Alnico blue because that's what I would do.
Depending on what genre you play, you will have to look into different speakers.

If you don't want to spend 200 dollars on an Alnico Blue, look into some of Warehouse's offerings.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Well, I just suggested the Alnico blue because that's what I would do.
Depending on what genre you play, you will have to look into different speakers.

If you don't want to spend 200 dollars on an Alnico Blue, look into some of Warehouse's offerings.

well I play a lot of like zeppelin, ac/dc, love RHCP stuff, rarely venture into metal.

I need good cleans, I really like the sound of these cleans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg1dF4TpI0k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itinQJK2aJg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX2qlTn6t24&feature=related (these especially)

and for overdrive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayF1T_CdGro(these especially)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN-_up5dSW0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI8SUc2SV4k
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Hrm...

Well, look at some of Warehouse's offerings. Sounds like you want crunch, so i'd go for a Warehouse or some kind of Celestion.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by esp1234
I wish I had the tweed

they had a black one in stock at the store, but I wanted the tweed I'd rather wait 2 weeks minimum and get the colour i want

anyone know if a 25 watt greenback would work in a classic 30? or would that be too risky
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
they had a black one in stock at the store, but I wanted the tweed I'd rather wait 2 weeks minimum and get the colour i want

anyone know if a 25 watt greenback would work in a classic 30? or would that be too risky

Might be a little risky. I would just get the greenback model that is rated higher (30 watts I think for a g12H).
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Might be a little risky. I would just get the greenback model that is rated higher (30 watts I think for a g12H).

i didn't know they made a 30 watt greenback
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
ohh so the g12h30 is the 30 watt version of the greenback, nice! I'll definately have to check it out after I have my amp for a bit.

Any other opinions on speakers/tubes for the C30?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I would just keep the stock tubes in for a while since you obviously liked the sound you got with them. Wait until you feel they lack a good sound or they die out or if the just make too much background noise.

Once you get them though, I would say tungsol in the Pre and JJ in the Power. I love that combo in Classics and Crate V series. The brightness of the tungsol and darkness of the JJs compliment eachother nicely and are just high quality tubes in general.
You can use 25 watt speakers with a 30 watt amp.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.