I'm just checking to see if this applies to HSS strats as well, and what type of wire/solder should I use if it matters.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tone_f_bp

Thanks!

(and just to clarify, this will make middle pickup tone control now affect my bridge pickup as well? is this correct?)
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
No, just the 2nd tone control affect the bridge and middle pickups. Im pretty sure you could use it with an HSS, as you would want a tone control on a humbucker i think. Use standard solder and i think 12-gauge copper wire should work. Its a verrrry simple mod, im surprised it doesnt come stock on some Strats.
I did it to my SSS strat. The second tone now controsl both bridge and middle pickups. It should work fine, i think. Wire: some stranded insulated wire (I'm not sure about thickness so have a look at what;sin your guitar and take a bit to an electronics shop)- I thinks its around 24 awg. Solder should be 60/40 solder. If you can't get that, then ask in a electronics shop for an alternative- (here in the uk, we can't have lead in solder)
alright that's great, i just want something to tame my bridge pickups tone :p now i have an answer!

Does it REALLY matter what wire I use? as long as its similar thickness? because I have some scrap wire lying around that I could just throw in there.

EDIT: I also have a spool of like 200 feet of 24 gauge wire, but its not insulated, but it has a coating you need to sand off with sand paper before it can conduct electricity.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
That wire might act as an ariel or something. You'd probably get alot more hum. It's worth spending a couple of dollars for some decent wire/solder.
Quote by supergerbil
That wire might act as an ariel or something. You'd probably get alot more hum. It's worth spending a couple of dollars for some decent wire/solder.

ugh k, what about some cheap insolated wire from another like lectronic device around the house? i have a bunch of scrap wire.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Haha... yeah, but he needs about an inch of wire.

You can use anything that will solder, pretty much. You're just tying two lugs together on the switch. I actually use pieces of the leads from capacitors to do jumpers like that. (totally uninsulated - doesn't matter when its so short)
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
so... I just did the mod, and it didn't change a thing. My tone controls still only affect the neck and middle pickup. and I'm 100% positive I tied the right leads together.

BUT: When I looked at the wiring, it was different from the wiring of the diagram, like certain wires were going from different things... So I just attached the two leads like in the diagram
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
so i did this mod, and it didn't change anything about my guitar, the tone control does not affect the bridge pickup. But my wiring looked different than the diagram
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808