fvcking suck at guitar! i can do the whole palm fretting, pich harmonics( can't speed blast and throw a pinch harmonic at the same time) and speed blasting. i can't play instandard tune, even in drop-tune D, C, and A i still can't play any songs. i just make up a bunch of gnarled out low end distortion. i have good form... practice a good bit on speed and technique. i need to learn how to play how your suppose to play. i hate having to go in to GC and drop tune a guitar just to test an amp. stupid as hell. ineed help but i don't have money to take lessons. help?

my current set-up...

1. jackson kevin bond sig
2. peavey 6505 combo
go to the lessons section of this site. if you wanna learn how to play a specific song, there are always a couple of tutorial videos on youtube showing you how if the song is famous enough.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE you technique!
get a teacher bro
EDIT: sorry i like to read the first half of the thread and then go on that. scower the internet for correct technique
Last edited by exect4500 at Aug 9, 2008,
Practise, like hell.
I'd recommend trying to play some stuff that you wouldn't listen to.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Quote by exect4500
get a teacher bro

i'll tell you something sad... i'm friends with both of the guitarist for DAATH and i can't get lessons from either one of them. their recording a new album.

my girl tells her freinds in front of my face that i suck

what's worse?

1. a guy that can play 20 different old rock songs on a acoustic, but doesn't know how to shred...

2. a guy who can't play any old rock songs, but can shred...
Last edited by lust of decay at Aug 9, 2008,
Just take your time dude!
You've clearly got the passion and dedication which is more than alot of people!
Just practice! Go slow...play the same thing for an hour?...see if you can speed it up?...if not keep going slow until you can?
Just keep your passion and dedication as high as it is! You will be good someday! If you practice everyday for atleast an hour I can promise you will be good!
My Stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson straps
Dunlop straplok
Planet wave cables
Zoom multi effects
dude just practice. and if you wanna gain your gf's respect learn Iris by the Goo goo dolls or a beatles song on acoustic and sing

in terms of shredding. there is really nothing you can do except sit down, get your metronome, and practice for a couple of hours a day
Quote by lust of decay
i need to learn tab... here?

say what?

Just practice. At one point in his life, Jimmy Page couldn't play worth a damn either. Start slow on everything you do, and work up in speed.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by lust of decay
i'll tell you something sad... i'm friends with both of the guitarist for DAATH and i can't get lessons from either one of them. their recording a new album.

my girl tells her freinds in front of my face that i suck

what's worse?

1. a guy that can play 20 different old rock songs on a acoustic, but doesn't know how to shred...

2. a guy who can't play any old rock songs, but can shred...

Err... hrm. I was going to suggest picking up an acoustic. That's what I learned on and it made the electric seem like nothing, once I bought one. I think you can and should do both and it will help, if possible.
Quote by mystical_1
Err... hrm. I was going to suggest picking up an acoustic. That's what I learned on and it made the electric seem like nothing, once I bought one. I think you can and should do both and it will help, if possible.

yeah, i think i need to get an acoustic. appreciate it buddy.

maybe i can learn how to read tab here?
If the Kevin Bond RR 24 is your first guitar, you my friend are SPOILED. As much as I hate my LP Special II, I recommend it as a beginner guitar, and only that. Anything under $300 is great for beginners, anything over shouldn't really be for beginners/
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Snake™
If the Kevin Bond RR 24 is your first guitar, you my friend are SPOILED. As much as I hate my LP Special II, I recommend it as a beginner guitar, and only that. Anything under $300 is great for beginners, anything over shouldn't really be for beginners/

actually, my first was a used ibanez rg custom... retailed for about $600 new. it was stolen
Quote by lust of decay
actually, my first was a used ibanez rg custom... retailed for about $600 new. it was stolen

That sucks, but still....but I do recommend an acoustic. And if you suck, I can't play for $#!T. I can't shred that well. I have trouble switching strings during solos, so yea. And if your girl says you suck, she must have incredible skill.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Snake™
That sucks, but still....but I do recommend an acoustic. And if you suck, I can't play for $#!T. I can't shred that well. I have trouble switching strings during solos, so yea. And if your girl says you suck, she must have incredible skill.

she's just an immature smartass...

overall, for somebody that doesn't know music... i sound like i know what i'm doing. i think it's pretty rude to tell somebody that they suck to their face when their trying to learn. maybe, she's just pissed because i put my drum sticks down...
Quote by lust of decay
blues for death metal?

Why not? Unless i'm mistaken, studying [one of] the modern ancestors of metal or rock generally helps. And despite it's name, once you get into the nitty-gritty, blues is fun.

EDIT: And hit your girlfriend over the head with something heavy. The Sun God commands it.
Quote by lust of decay
blues for death metal?

No, I meant if you want to not suck anymore, play blues. It teaches you how to put feeling into your playing. It's also hella fun, and pretty much all of it is in standard tuning. And it provides the basis for most rock made in the last 50 years.
Quote by lust of decay
blues for death metal?

First oh **** if you just started playing guitar like I would say this year don't start already with death metal.

First you gotta get the theory right...

And best guitar players always passed by other styles

Slash : classical guitar and blues

Dave murray: blues

Paul gilert : classical I think [well he studied every styles]

BucketHead: Blues

Steve Vai: Jazz, rock fusion

Why blues or jazz or classical and any other kind of old style? Because it gives you groove, funky mind and soul play of notes.

Get into theory first. Start slow. If you don't know any scale start from the pentatonic. Then learn Major scale. Practice alot on your own. Alt picking and all.

I would say to get a teacher if you want to advance faster as he can explain you theory more easily like why the pentatonic has these notes and this and that and how do I find the pentatonic in the major.... anyway.

Or else just do e: 5678 a:5678 etc for warming up, learn EASY songs and parts of song.

edit : ಠ_ಠ Take your time. Don't learn too much at once or your will have too much things in your head and will be confused when playing.
Last edited by kevC4 at Aug 10, 2008,
Quote by lust of decay
she's just an immature smartass...

overall, for somebody that doesn't know music... i sound like i know what i'm doing. i think it's pretty rude to tell somebody that they suck to their face when their trying to learn. maybe, she's just pissed because i put my drum sticks down...

Go to this. It has helped me, and it shall help you.

And Slash never played classical btw. He started out with blues.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by aedmiston
No, I meant if you want to not suck anymore, play blues. It teaches you how to put feeling into your playing. It's also hella fun, and pretty much all of it is in standard tuning. And it provides the basis for most rock made in the last 50 years.

I'm detecting mass quantities of not knowing what you're talking about. For the 9001st time, emotion does not equate to bends and/or vibrato. Emotion is expressed in different ways, and percieved in different ways. Listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGNj34GSjs4

Not a single bend, and no vibrato either. Yet the emotion is plain, and this certianly isn't bluesy. As far as blues being the basis of modern rock, I once read in a book about the rise of heavy metal "Metal and hard rock originated from a bunch of white guys in England doing a bad job of playing the blues, but accidently making fantastic music."

I'm kind of going on a tangent here, and I'm sorry to jump down your throat, but telling someone to learn blues so they won't suck anymore just makes me think of blues elitism, which is all too common. Expand your musical tastes some.

And to TS, like I said, just practice. Everyone starts playing guitar not having a clue what to do.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
I'm detecting mass quantities of not knowing what you're talking about. For the 9001st time, emotion does not equate to bends and/or vibrato. Emotion is expressed in different ways, and percieved in different ways. Listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGNj34GSjs4

Not a single bend, and no vibrato either. Yet the emotion is plain, and this certianly isn't bluesy. As far as blues being the basis of modern rock, I once read in a book about the rise of heavy metal "Metal and hard rock originated from a bunch of white guys in England doing a bad job of playing the blues, but accidently making fantastic music."

I'm kind of going on a tangent here, and I'm sorry to jump down your throat, but telling someone to learn blues so they won't suck anymore just makes me think of blues elitism, which is all too common. Expand your musical tastes some.

And to TS, like I said, just practice. Everyone starts playing guitar not having a clue what to do.

thanx for the knowledge...
Learn blues and classical music you will get steadily better in technique and dynamics in you playing. Your shredding will have a classical and barouqe(sp?) feel to it as well.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Quote by MulanoSG
Learn blues and classical music you will get steadily better in technique and dynamics in you playing. Your shredding will have a classical and barouqe(sp?) feel to it as well.

but i want a satanic, kill the world groove... i HATE blues with a passion
So learn some easy stuff first! AC/DC, Black Sabbath. Try Paranoid or Back in Black or something. Or maybe The Unforgiven - Metallica. Learn easy stuff, and you will improve. Just takes time.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
does any one here know the satanic black mass ritual to sign one's soul to Beelzebub? i want to rule over night. i'm ready to crush heads world wide and rott in infernal hell. let's do this!
Dude, I hate to break it to you, but if you decide to throw theory or even basic guitar technique out the window and try to shred right out of the gate, you will indeed suck for all of eternity. I never took any lessons and have been playing guitar for over a decade and about the first 3 years of that all I ever did was try to learn how to solo, and play Pantera and ****. I never wanted to take time to learn any of the basics and that **** set me back years man. Do yourself a favor and start at the bottom and practice. I can't really think of anyone that's a shredder that doesn't know theory. How else would they be able to improvise in key? It's kind of a pain in the ass, and at least for me got pretty damn confusing without a teacher, but I just decided to start over, and I'm a lot better of a guitarist now for it. There's plenty of lessons online to be found, especially here on UG.
Signatures are overrated.
Alright first things first, all the little ****s telling you to learn blues to play dm are straight out ****ing wrong, blues does NOT equate to emotion. That being said, blues is fun as hell to play. If your interested in learning DM start with some doom styled DM then work your way up to nile type stuff. If you need lessons check this website out the guys really smart and you should be able to get up to par by tonight,

http://www.fretjam.com/how-to-play-death-metal-guitar.html

theres two parts to that lesson, dont worry about the tuning though, if you want you can just tune to drop d/drop.

If you have any questions send me a message via pm
rl]
Wait, you don't know tabs?! I'd recomend yu to start learning some chords. Work up your rhythm guitar BEFORE moving to lead. I did that first and spent basically a year playing almost only rhythm guitar before I became a good lead guitarist. It helps you a lot. I recommend you to learn some easy songs first. AC/DC aren't way too hard and has a nice sense of rhythm. Play along with the CD too, so you can nail it all.

Also if you can't read tabs, this is how it works:
e (thinnest string)
B
G
D
A
E (thickest string)

Then afterwards comes the fret you're supposed to play, like an E5 is like this:
e---
B---
G---
D-2-
A-2-
E-0-

That means you play the the open string (0) and fret the 2 fret (the 2's)

Easy as that!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by lust of decay
fvcking suck at guitar! i can do the whole palm fretting, pich harmonics( can't speed blast and throw a pinch harmonic at the same time) and speed blasting. i can't play instandard tune, even in drop-tune D, C, and A i still can't play any songs. i just make up a bunch of gnarled out low end distortion. i have good form... practice a good bit on speed and technique. i need to learn how to play how your suppose to play. i hate having to go in to GC and drop tune a guitar just to test an amp. stupid as hell. ineed help but i don't have money to take lessons. help?

my current set-up...

1. jackson kevin bond sig
2. peavey 6505 combo

wut.