Hey UG. I'm currently in Sacramento on vacation (went to visit my aunt for a supposed 10 days, then I went and lost my passport ) And because Jamaica has absolute **** selection when it comes to musical instruments (Marshall MGs, Gibson/Fender knockoffs, outrageous prices for any decent equipment) I naturally had to check out the local music store.

And I found that in Northridge, which has a surprising selection - from Mesa/Boogie to Vox and everything in between. All the employees were helpful, kind and knowledgeable about guitars and amps. So, given these opportunities, I went ahead and tried out a Gibson Les Paul Doublecut (a Special model) plugged into a... Dual Recto Roadster combo. Needless to say, I was excited.

My initial impressions of the Les Paul were not too good. The body was unfinished (ergo it's a Special Faded) and it felt very rough on the neck. The action wasn't as low as I liked, either, but this guitar is fresh off the shelf. I wasn't surprised by the quality of the guitar because of its model. I've also heard that Gibson quality has gone down the pipes recently, but as I haven't had an opportunity to use one before this guitar I can't comment on that other than I didn't like the guitar much overall.

A feature of this guitar that's new to me is it's equipped with P-90s - never used a guitar with them before. I've heard many things about them, such as they're inbetween humbuckers and single coils, and I'll have to agree. When I was plugged into the amp they got me a nice bluesy crunch sort of sound.

Now onto the amp - it's a 50/100w combo. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to change the channels (will explore the amp more next time ) I was on the 3rd channel, which is what I'd guess was the low-gain channel. I got what I thought was a good Black Keys fuzz thing going on the neck pickup and an AC/DC styled tone on the bridge. I didn't think the neck or bridge pickup were tonally much different, though. I really wished I could've figured out how to change channels, though, as I wanted to experience the br00t4lz.

I also spied a Mesa Mark III in the same room and a Dual Recto Stack, as well as a Vox AC30 and several other delicious amps I wish I could try (including a Vintage Modern ) and several other delicious guitars I wish I could try (including various Gretsches, Fender Strats, Teles, and a Les Paul GT) which I'll hopefully get to use. And before you say 'pics or it didn't happen', expect pics next time.

BREAKING NEWS: My passport came in today, so I'd better hurry back to Northridge before I leave. Oh man, I love that place.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 9, 2008,
Bumpity.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Channel 3 is one of the two high gain channels on the roadster, with channel 4 being very similar but with a bit more presence....

For the record, channel wise, top left is channel one, bottom left is 2, top right is 3, and bottom right is 4. To change channels, if there isn't a foot switch, there's a knob on the back left I believe.
...really? Maybe it was the P-90s on the LP. I should've tested out another guitar, but my eyes saw Gibson and my mind said "once-a-year opportunity" so I took it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I switched between Raw, Vintage and Modern... didn't get much difference in terms of gain, although I did notice a volume boost between Raw and Vintage, with Vintage being alot tighter than Raw as well.

Maybe it was the amp? I dunno, man.

EDIT: Did I neglect to mention that channel 3 was on the 50w mode? 'cause I think it was.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Like I said, I got enough gain to do Angus Young-ish leads. Maybe Jimmy Page in Stairway... but next time I'm there I'll certainly ask for help. After all, it IS the "Dual Rectumfryer".
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
...Solo? Come to think of it, there was a Solo stack there. Maybe I'll give both of them a try next time.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
nice spam i try out stuff when i'm on holiday too... the selection here isn't terrible, but it's certainly better in england and scotland.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
that's odd, with channel 3 on the Roadster i got some really high gain sounds out of it. maybe try it with a guitar with humbuckers? up the gain? also, how loud did you have it turned up?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
that's odd, with channel 3 on the Roadster i got some really high gain sounds out of it. maybe try it with a guitar with humbuckers? up the gain? also, how loud did you have it turned up?

I put the gain up to max in hope of acquiring teh br00t4lz. I think next time I'll try it with either the HH Tele or Les Paul GT they have in the store.

The volume was on 3, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I'm going back to Northridge tomorrow, where I plan to pick up a Digitech Bad Monkey in addition to trying out the Mesa again. If there's a better OD to be had for 50bux (as that's all I have left, pretty much) I'd love to know.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Try and haggle for an Ibanez Ts9
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
I don't think they carry Ibanezes at Northridge... at least, I didn't see any Ibanez guitars or pedals out on display. They DO carry Digitech, Boss, Marshall, Dunlop and Vox pedals, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Give the satchurator a try.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
I just realized - maybe the Roadster has a blown tube? That might be why I wasn't getting enough gain, right?

Ah well, I'll be at the music store again in a couple of hours to see if I can unleash the br00t4lz.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 12, 2008,
WTF

Channel 3, MAX gain and volume on 3/10.... that **** shoulda been CRAZY loud, and CRAZY brutal..

If you're counting channels on it like I did at first, you were probably on the crunch channel, which would explain the AC/DC and Black Keys tone
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
That's what I figured I was on, but as I said, when I'm there I'll definitely ask how to change channels. Even when my VK is at a volume of 3 I get complaints from my landlady.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by TheShred201
Yeah, the rectifier series has the:
Single Rectifier Solo
Dual Rectifier Solo
Triple Rectifier Solo
Dual Rectifier Roadster
Dual Rectifier Road King

In my opinion, the roadster and road king are both WAY better sounding than the solo series.

what about the rectoverb?
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
So it turns out the "Dual Rectumfrier" has a little knob known as "output" which controls how loud it actually is... no wonder it was so quiet last time.

I got to plug into the Roadster head this time, and my axe of choice was an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. I currently own one but mine is alot better than the one I used at the store - it had tuning problems, the pickups were weak, etc, but it had a great feel. Kinda like mine used to before a proper set-up.

I also figured out how to change channels: by use of the footswitch ( ) and let me tell you it had a looot of gain, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would've. It didn't blow me away (well, it did, volumewise) I also only spent about 20 minutes with it, so I didn't get to do all the dialing and tinkering with knobs that I usually do in order to get a great sound. In fact, in the store I wasn't really impressed with my Valveking when I went to buy it, but I also suspect the speakers weren't broken in on the Roadster.

The cleans were okay - they weren't extreme in any particular frequency - not too middy nor bassy nor trebley. The cleans didn't do much for me, even at a higher volume. Couldn't get the tubes to break up much, either.

I loved the 4th channel, though - great for "t3h br00t4lz", as these amps are known for. I figure if I had spent some more time with the Roadster I'd probably love it to death and hate the VK forever (kinda like when I got the VK, I hate my MG now) but it just isn't what I'm looking for tonally.

And yes, it did happen. Here come the pics! (Dialup warning)

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 12, 2008,
I was expecting more of a reaction from UG when I put up the pictures... oh well.

One last bump before I stop, unless people start to jabber.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Thanks.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
nice nice. i tried out a roadster a couple months ago and thought it was great, really fluid and 'light' compared to my mark IV which is generally really saturated and heavy.

maybe you would've liked it better if you used a higher end guitar?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I usually rather enjoy Epiphones - they just feel better to me. I dunno, man... I think it might've been because of the environment of the store, and also because UG has built up Mesas to be the "be-all end-all" amplifier brand in my mind.

And also as previously mentioned because the speakers aren't broken in.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I'm somewhat afraid that, what with Jamaica's extremely limited amp choices (MGs, other sh*t Marshalls, low-end solid states in general) I'll never get another chance to experience good tone.

At least not for a long time... it worries me because if I decide to order something online I won't get to try it before I buy it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
nice pics. looks like quite a nice store. lol at the kerry king one
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Raijouta
I'm somewhat afraid that, what with Jamaica's extremely limited amp choices (MGs, other sh*t Marshalls, low-end solid states in general) I'll never get another chance to experience good tone.

At least not for a long time... it worries me because if I decide to order something online I won't get to try it before I buy it.

Nice pics!
I've been to Jamaica a couple times, & I'm sure they only stock the most basic gear because hardly anyone there can afford anything else. I saw guys on the streets playing beat up guitars with strings missing, just trying to make a living. I even got one guy's address & tried to send him some strings & tuners (for free), but it came back undeliverable (Little London P.O. near Negril). I'm glad you got to come try out some cool gear. Next time you come to northern California, pm me, & I'll hook you up with where to go. Gelb Music in Redwood City (about 1 1/2 hours southwest of Sacramento) has Mesa, Bogner, Fender EVH, Divided By 13, Fuchs Audio, Harris, & several other high-end boutique brands that I'm forgetting, & they have numerous models from each brand. Also, Guitar Center in San Francisco has Soldanos. NOW you can REALLY look forward to coming back!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011