Looks like I'll get the kit Wed. Hoopa!

Now I gotta start getting the stuff for finishing and I want to tung oil the maple neck and clear gloss the walnut body.

What's your favorite stuff for the above finishing?
Looking good.

I could tung oil the whole guitar but I think gloss on walnut will look good.
god, I want one of these so bad... I'll see if I can't get one for the winter holidays.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You have no idea how long I wanted a Carvin. I had a guitar made and I bought an SG but still think about Carvin.

I tell you it's a curse!
Quote by Midnight Murk
I tung-oiled the whole works. I also cut my own pickguard and installed two Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros and one of the Carvin AP11s that came with the kit.

Here's mine:

Since these pictures were taken, I have ditched the coil-splitting and stuck a dummy tone pot in there (so I can keep master volume and master tone). I set the intonation a few minutes after I took those pictures (I had JUST assembled right before the photos). I also screwed in the pickguard.

Good luck!

hey how are those Carvin tuners?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
hey how are those Carvin tuners?
I have no idea. I got mine upgraded to Sperzel locking tuners for an extra $30.
oh, those are the sperzels. I was gonna do that too.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Midnight Murk
I tung-oiled the whole works. I also cut my own pickguard and installed two Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros and one of the Carvin AP11s that came with the kit.

Here's mine:

Since these pictures were taken, I have ditched the coil-splitting and stuck a dummy tone pot in there (so I can keep master volume and master tone). I set the intonation a few minutes after I took those pictures (I had JUST assembled right before the photos). I also screwed in the pickguard.

Good luck!

nice but i dont like the faded cream pups with the white pickguard. the tuners are normally sperzels. doesnt tung oil make the body more liable to bumps and knocks?
Quote by Phazer
nice but i dont like the faded cream pups with the white pickguard. the tuners are normally sperzels. doesnt tung oil make the body more liable to bumps and knocks?
I enjoy the look, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the zebras. I don't mind if you don't like the look.

The tuners are normally Carvin tuners, unless you add an extra $30 for Sperzels. Check on the website if you don't believe me.

Tung oil doesn't make the body more liable to bumps and knocks. It probably results in less dents, because it isn't anything like nitrocelluose or polyurethane. However, I'm careful with my gear, so I rarely get any scratches and never get any dings in my stuff.

Mine will be normal tuners and I'm sure they're quite decent.

Tung oil soaks into the wood and after so many coats it forms a shell. Carvin puts 4 coats on the neck itself. I'll probably do the same.

I've been exploring the web about getting the highest gloss for the walnut body and they all say high gloss. Nitro, poly, acrylic, etc so what's the best for walnut?