well, i was just reading the september 2008 popular science magazine. one of the main articles is about the "moog guitar". this thing is crazy...

---

here are the only two pics i can find on google:

here are a few vids of it in action:
video 1
video 2
video 3
video 4
video 5

the company that makes it is Moog Music. click it for their website.

---

features include:

CONTROLLED SUSTAIN MODE - allows you to play sustained single or polyphonic lines without muting technique. The Moog Guitar sustains the notes you are playing while actively muting the strings you are not playing.

MUTE MODE - removes energy from the strings, resulting in a variety of staccato articulations. The mute mode has never been heard on any other guitar; the Vo Power stops the strings with the same intensity that it sustains them. You feel the instrument transform in your hands.

HARMONIC BLENDS – use the included foot pedal to shift the positive energy of Vo Power in Sustain mode and the subtractive force of Vo Power in Mute mode between the bridge and neck pick-ups to pull both subtle and dramatic harmonics from the strings.

MOOG FILTER - control the frequency of the built-in, resonant Moog ladder filter using the foot pedal or a CV Input.

---

the body is made out of your choice of swamp ash or mahogany in one of eight colors (it doesn't say which colors). the finger board is ebony and the neck woad isn't specified either but it appears to be maple in the picture given in my popular science mag. the pickups are custom pickups for the moog and only the moog. it does have some sort of whammy bar tremelo thingy (what ever you call it) at the bridge. i can't tell if it has a floyd rose. all the hardware is either black metal or gold metal. number of frets is unknown (count them if it really matters. i don't feel like it). it weighs about 8-9 pounds depending on which woad you choose.

all this can be bought for a small $6,500. lol... that seems to be the only downside imo. if i ever have $6,500 that i have nothing to spend it on, i will buy one of these, but untill then, i can drool, hope, and dream.

your thoughts?
Last edited by madshatter at Aug 10, 2008,
sounds awesome and the headstock is amazing
ESP KH-202 emg-hz
ESP KH-502, duncan custom 5, duncan 59
1978 alverez acoustic
Peavey valveking 100 head
line 6 4-12 cabinet
EVH flange, wilson q-wah, boss chorus ensemble, dunlop brick power supply
Quote by evhaustin5150
sounds awesome and the headstock is amazing

i agree. the whole thing looks hot except for where the controls are for everything.
sound good looks cool

dont hink it's going to catch on though

just doesnt seem like a it could compete against Fender, Gibson, Ibanez
i think it could. the only thing that i see wrong with it is its price tag. i don't think too many people will buy it because they can't afford it which won't make it very popular.
Quote by madshatter
i think it could. the only thing that i see wrong with it is its price tag. i don't think too many people will buy it because they can't afford it which won't make it very popular.

Agreed.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
has anybody by any chance ever gotten a chance to play this bad boy? all i've seen about it is reviews by one company.
so it's like an intelligent fernandes sustainer system?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
dunno what that is but it sounds like some of those things you can buy/make for infinate sustain by vibrating the strings. if it is one of those, i guess it is a little like that. it only vibrates those that are being played. i don't completely understand how it works but it's basicly like that.
How do you plug it into an amp? That isn't any ordinary output jack.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by dustyboy316
How do you plug it into an amp? That isn't any ordinary output jack.

there's a regular jack right next to it.
Dam 6500, only people I can see getting one of these are musicians who are well off.
I want....
I NEED...

Yet something tells me this will never catch on.
I mean, its the price of a mesa fullstack.....
that sounded amazing
i want it...
i need it...
actually i don't need it but wow!!!
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
thats pretty hot

not sure if i'm liking the pickup shape but i can't complain. i sure would take one
Quote by madshatter
i wonder if other companies will come out with similar guitars.

Oh Lord....
THE FENDER SUSTAINACASTER
Then the Gibson Robot guitars gunna have it, and then, well never see a normal guitar again...
actually i think things like these are kind of cheating. i mean the great legends of guitar had to spend hours of time and money to get there sustains and tones through regular guitar parts and equipment, but now with that thing some person can just pickup that guitar and get tonesfrom an artificial computer thingy! well, i used to think distortion pedals were cheating, so i might change my mind eventually!
Quote by 5150rando
actually i think things like these are kind of cheating. i mean the great legends of guitar had to spend hours of time and money to get there sustains and tones through regular guitar parts and equipment, but now with that thing some person can just pickup that guitar and get tonesfrom an artificial computer thingy! well, i used to think distortion pedals were cheating, so i might change my mind eventually!

Actually i belive ts not computer or anything it just has magnets with controllable amounts of pull...
The sustain comes from turning the magnets pull low and the mute from tuneing the magnets pull really high.
I could be wrong?
Haha, I just read about this in Popular Science, I was going to post a thread, but then I thought, "Well this is UG, and they have a thread for just about everything that has to do with a guitar"

It seems like a pretty interesting guitar, I would think of getting one if it wasn't $6500.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by 5150rando

Umm, this guitar is $6,500 dollars. I think qualifies as spending money. Even if you go through a ton of effects, even a few amps, then you'll have just spent what you did on this guitar.

But this thing is really cool, although really it's just an improvement on the Fernandes Sustainer, and I think maybe someone who was really smart and good with electronics could probably create something like this out of a sustainer, and it'd probably be much cheaper. Watch, in a year or two there will be a circut board and pickups you can buy that do the same thing for like, a grand or something. Me, I'm fine with a sustainer. I think that does enough for you, but I could definately use this guitar every once in awhile for that synth like sound.
I wish I could just get the pickups and electronics to build a really beautiful instrument around that. I think even if I had the 6500$ I wouldn't buy it because I really don't like the looks. The wood is nice, but I think the headstock and the black part under the controls is awful. And I would want it to be equipped with a hex pu for midi.
Last edited by munirocks at Jan 18, 2009,
It's not a guitar, it's a gizmo. Some people will buy it and enjoy it, but masses won't rush along to trade in their bog standard strats and les pauls for it.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
that looks nice
anyone want to buy it for me?
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by pifty
It's not a guitar, it's a gizmo. Some people will buy it and enjoy it, but masses won't rush along to trade in their bog standard strats and les pauls for it.

so how is it not a guitar again?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
According to Guitarist the basic guitar part isn't much cop - the pickups are ridiculously overgained and have a very strange voicing with an overpowering midrange, and the strings have to be coated in some weird sticky stuff to get them to work properly.

I'd jump at the opportunity to have a go on one but I don't think I could every justify actually buying one, since they cost a million pounds and there's only so many songs that you can put crazy filtered infinite-sustaining guitar over. It's probably a lot cheaper to buy a guitar with a Fernandes Sustainer or an Electro-Harmonix HOG if you want to make weird noises.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
so how is it not a guitar again?
Right, I see, you want to argue semantics. I'm sure you understood the intent of my statement quite clearly.

It's a technology showcase, if anything. It's like concept cars - a few of them would easily make a perfectly valid means of transportation if not for the "concept" features that make the crowd go "WOW", but are still profoundly useless and perplexing to the majority of casual users.

What perplexes me is how they managed not to put a hex pickup in it. Admittedly the whole thing is kinda cool - with a hex pickup and for one third of the price, I'd go for it. Otherwise, it's (quite possibly) a mediocre unapgreadable guitar component with a couple cool effects in it.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Last edited by pifty at Jan 18, 2009,
Cool, but I'd rather spend the money on a Dark Fire.
I'd never use most the stuff this thing offers. The sustain/mute thing is cool, but not worth it. For the mute creating staccatto sounds, can't we just learn to staccatto instead of having a machine play our own techniques? I like the auto mute, but again, when did a machine take over a player's ability to play?
Looks good though.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I remember seeing this last year (I think the video i saw is on my profile) and it looks a bit different now. I thought it sounded amazing, and Ive always associated moog with greatness.