For a decent recording quality of my amp I will need:

A Condensor mic (looking at shure)

A Mic preamp with phantom power (no idea what to look for)

A program on my computer (Audacity, Reaper)

Cables (Need advice what kind??)

I got a brand new laptop coming in for college so anyone want to provide insight on this setup??

Right now I go: 10$ computer mic >>> Old laptops sound card
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
You want a dynamic mic for recording amps.

Some pretty popular ones are:

shure SM 57
sennheiser e609

a mic preamp that connects to the computer via usb, or firewire if your new computer has it. It doesnt have to be phantom powered with those 2 mics i mentioned.

all in all it would go like this:

Amp - > Mic -> preamp - > computer
Gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom w/ 57 classic plus & burstbucker pro
Gibson SG Limited Edition, Crescent Moon Inlays
Dr. Z SRZ-65
Egnater 4x12 cab w/ Vintage 30s
Cool thanks man, theres just so many ways to do it you wont belive how long it took to figure that out!!
Open Wide, The Sky

Forgot to ask, what preamp do you recommend? Not expensive preferably, less bells and whistles the better I just want good sound
Open Wide, The Sky

haha, yeah tell me about. I had to find all this stuff out without the help of forums
Gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom w/ 57 classic plus & burstbucker pro
Gibson SG Limited Edition, Crescent Moon Inlays
Dr. Z SRZ-65
Egnater 4x12 cab w/ Vintage 30s
If you get an interface with built in pres, you're pretty much stuck with those. The good news is, they range from usable to good.

If you want a dedicated mic pre all on its own, check out a company called FMR. They make a product called the RNP - Really Nice Pre. It gets rave reviews, for the price, from the pro audio nerds.

Also check Focusrite, Grace, Joe Meek for good mid-level brand names that will get you well above the 'pro-sumer' grade Mackie, Behringer, Alesis, etc. brands. If you could afford an Avalon... well.... you wouldn't be asking this kind of question.

CT

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Would a dedicated mic pre fit my needs tho?
Open Wide, The Sky

Nope. Go with the interface first, since to make good use of dedicated preamps you'll need a kickass sound card/Analog-digital converters (Lynx makes them...$600 used at least...Benchmark media's another good high-end company) otherwise you'll be missing out on the fidelity and subtleties it would offer.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Aug 9, 2008,
Noob question, whats the diff between an "interface" and a "preamp"
Open Wide, The Sky

Depending on what kind of sound you want, you could get a condenser but you'll need a -10db pad to stop the microphone from getting damaged.
Quote by Vinnie5
Noob question, whats the diff between an "interface" and a "preamp"

Interface is your high end sound card. They usually come with a lot a different types of inputs and on board preamps for your mics and instruments. They convert the audio to Digital format so the computer can work with it.

The Preamp is a small amp that boosts the weak signals of an instrument or mic. They must be used with mics. They more you spend with preamps, the better sound you get however under the $600 range, most preamps sound about the same.

You can use a condenser mic to record guitar and its done all the time in studios. The 57 is more popular but sometimes a condenser will sound better.

Read though Tweak's Guide in my sig. That should get you on the right track.