Page 1 of 2
I am not happy with my valveking's distortion.

There seems to be a pillow over the amp on the distortion channel, too loose, not metal enough. To me all I can get are classic/hard rock sounds.

I want a distortion that is tight, in your face, no piercing treble noise.

Ive been looking at some combos like the 6505 but besides that any other amp with this type of distortion??

price: between four hundred and one thousand used
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Try adding a boost pedal to that VK, and buy a better speaker. maybe some new t00bs too?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 9, 2008,
Quote by Somebody425
Just get a Boss Metal Zone stompbox

no. it just doesn't work that way.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Somebody425
Just get a Boss Metal Zone stompbox

he will get sick of it after 3 months, then were in the same position
Quote by MorbidVirus
get the UBER METAL PEDAL!!

I'm so glad we have that emoticon.

Either get a Tubescreamer or a new amp. Perhaps try swapping out the tubes and speaker if you can find one on the cheap.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7

I'm so glad we have that emoticon.

Either get a Tubescreamer or a new amp. Perhaps try swapping out the tubes and speaker if you can find one on the cheap.

+1 internet to darkarbiter.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by MorbidVirus
That or sell it and buy a Line 6 Spider with tons of metal chugging goodness

+1
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by MorbidVirus
That or sell it and buy a Line 6 Spider with tons of metal chugging goodness

or an mg 100 stack, they're completely necessary and the overdrive it's what?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Well with $1000 used, you can certainly improve on a VK, I think most would agree. If you don't want to tweek it with a speaker and tube change... sell it... And start looking used.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/784080754.html Orange TT used. Some trade?
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/762092529.html Peavey JSX head, used. $650-$700
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/788109697.html JCM 2x12 cab $200???
A new Avatar 2x12 cab could be had for $300 and shipping roughly someone posted.
That's just what I pulled up in 3 minutes.
But seriously you could find a 5150 etc used as well. You do see combo's B-52, 6262's, 333's, PV Ultras in the $300-$450 range. Mesa combos run $600-$700 used generally. There is a lot out there on that budget, again, IF you don't feel like "pimping your Valveking".
Did you mess with the knob on the back. (Not even bothering to spell the name of the knob lol). That ussually has alot to do with it. I heard the stock tubes in them aren't to great either, so new tubes would probably be an improvement.
I would highly recommend a marshall mg combo if you want some CRUSHING distortion
No more MG or Line 6 suggestions - I get it
Open Wide, The Sky

A method of 'boosting' the VK is by plugging a lead into both the send and return in the effects loop, or so I've read. Given that I'm stuck in Cali I can't test it, but it should give you more clarity and more 'balls'.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
what do you mean a lead? Like an overdrive pedal?
Open Wide, The Sky

I used to used a H&K Warp factor with my VK. It will give you a faux-5150 tone...
but you wont be able to get the over-the-top harmonics.

I dont know if you listen to Bullet for my Valentine...but if you throw a Warp Factor
infront of a VK 100 watt combo...you can do a convincing cover of any of their songs.
Its nice because it has a 4x12 button that gives you more ass behind the P.M's

Black label society is really hard to nail..but *TOOL*..*BFMV*..*RATM*..*Lamb of God*
and many other metal bands can be spot on.

The VK can do some great marshall covers..but the bands that really use that
Concentrated classic Marshall tone (using enough distortion to let the original
tone shine through) it is very difficult.

If you shop around for used pedals or look for players that want to get rid of them
you can use combinations. The Boss DS-1 is kinda digitally twangy and the OD-3 has
a good amount of low end. When combined they can really give you a wide variety
of tones. I only brought them up because you can get every end of the spectrum of
sound from a telecaster tuned up a half step..to a Les paul at Drop-B.

The metal zone is pretty good as well..but i like to use the VK with an Overdrive that
is high pitched and slightly digital. (They pick up harmonics great) and a distortion
that has alot of low end.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by Vinnie5
what do you mean a lead? Like an overdrive pedal?

He means a cable, people sometimes call them leads. You take a regular guitar cable and plug it from the send to the return jacks of your fx loop. It is supposed to do something with the sound. I'll actually try it right now with my triple xxx and get back to ya.
Ok, i tried the fx loop thing, and it does work. It'll make the amp sound slightly more focused and hot, but at first it was hard to tell because its a pretty subtle difference. Not comparable to the difference that you'd get by using an OD pedal as a boost.
Oh yeah, I think the VK is a good candidate for a BBE Sonic Stomp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Raijouta
A method of 'boosting' the VK is by plugging a lead into both the send and return in the effects loop, or so I've read. Given that I'm stuck in Cali I can't test it, but it should give you more clarity and more 'balls'.

Hmm, never heard of that concept before. My conception of boosting a tube amp has always been hooking up a Tubescreamer (or something similar) before the input.
Quote by pwrmax
Hmm, never heard of that concept before. My conception of boosting a tube amp has always been hooking up a Tubescreamer (or something similar) before the input.

I would've suggested that, but given that everyone else had already done so I decided to be different.

Besides, it's a cost-free method.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Stay away from the sonic maximizer they make your amp sound to digital. They do work however and do remove the blanket but your removing that and getting another issue and that is the digital trail. I used to own a 482i the latest and greatest and i returned it after 2 weeks of use. If you want clarity and still keep the tube tone get a good eq pedal, od pedal and eq it right. I can get the same sound the bbe reproduced once i took the time to get my eqing down and stopped using band aids for my tone.
new tubes and speaker?

jus throwin that out there
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
BUT! Can anyone PERSONALLY attest that the distortion on the 5150 is the type that I am looking for (yes i know go out to local stores and try it yadda yadda, sometimes that isnt an option)

ALSO! I DO NOT want to throw a bunch of upgrades (new speaker, valves) in my valveking when I can just get a new one for less $$

Im also thinking of trying an overdrive pedal though...

So to sum it up... 5150 OR Valveking /w overdrive --- WHICH WILL GIVE ME THE DISTORTION TONE I DESCRIBED?
Open Wide, The Sky

Quote by l3p4rd
or an mg 100 stack, they're completely necessary and the overdrive it's what?
Crushing?
These go to eleven...
I'm guessing you have a Valveking combo?
Edit: Ok, just realised you have a 112.
RULE BRITANNIA
You'd prolly want an OD with the 5150 too, its not an uncommon thing to use on high gain amps to tighten up the bass or push a tube amp into metal territory. So why don't you get a bad monkey first, since its a good thing to have and doesn't cost that much.
as far as everyone who actually owns the valveking, it would seem thats just more or less how the valveking sounds.

you might be able to eq it with pedals and stuff to get a bit more oomph out of it, but in the end what you'll want is a new amp that'll produce what you want naturally.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
the 5150 wouldnt be too bad for you, but it doesnt have clean tones.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Page 1 of 2