Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for something better than my microcube, but not something that I will not be able to play in my room kinda quietly. I'm looking for thrash/power metal, aka Pantera, and some all around metal, Slayer type stuff, and the the newer types like metal core, The Devil Wears Prada and As I Lay Dying, but needs moderately good cleans for times like in Haste the Day songs or just feel like playing that kinda stuff. Highest I would like to spend is around 300$ or maybe 400$ But I'm not a serious die hard player yet so I don't know if I wanna spend a lot.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Last edited by Pinky19 at Aug 9, 2008,
low wattage cheap high gain amps
not really going to happen, you might just want to keep saving
Quote by Ghold125
low wattage cheap high gain amps
not really going to happen, you might just want to keep saving

How much is not cheap?

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

There's a 20 watt tube Krank Revolution head for $500. As I Lay Dying uses the full size Rev
No heads. I want a combo.

Quote by gilbeaux1983
did you look for one in Walmart?

YOu insult me because I only wanna spend 400$?

Quote by LukeBTH
There's a 20 watt tube Krank Revolution head for $500. As I Lay Dying uses the full size Rev

I second that. Check out the guitarworld review... it sounds pretty wicked.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
Quote by Pinky19

On no I'm sorry. I was just trying to joke around, Im watching that walmart video

Quote by Pinky19

Chill dude, it's pretty obvious he was referring/joking about your sig...

The Krank Rev Jr. Head is really the only thing that comes to mind when I think of small and metal. Getting just the head and a 1x12 isn't that much different than getting a combo...
Quote by gilbeaux1983
On no I'm sorry. I was just trying to joke around, Im watching that walmart video

I didn't get the reference to the video. I thought you meant I should get a first act amp.

Quote by T!AN
Chill dude, it's pretty obvious he was referring/joking about your sig...

The Krank Rev Jr. Head is really the only thing that comes to mind when I think of small and metal. Getting just the head and a 1x12 isn't that much different than getting a combo...

I guess I'm just an idiot I didn't get it. And wouldn't a head+cab be like, I don't know, 700$?

Quote by T!AN
^ Exactly $700...

lol

You're definetely going to want to try it in person. Kranks tend to be very love/hate...

I lucked out on that guess. And I don't think I could try that out in person. I live in west Virginia =(

Depends what you mean by "kinda-quietly".

A 5 watt Blackheart Little Giant will not be quiet when you crank it.
I mean something that isn't loud enough to where everyone can hear it when it is at 1.

Well with tube amps they usually go from whisper quiet at one to "omgwtf" loud at two. Even though the amp isn't really being pushed, you aren't getting the best sound.

If you're looking for a metal amp for bedroom use, you may be better off going SS. If you're going to be jamming or have understanding neighbors the Krank will work fine.
Attenuator possibly? And my neighbors are so far away, its just my parents might care when they are home, but Im alone a decent bit. And how loud are we talkin about at 2? Like YELLING AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS LOUD, or talking in a hard tone loud?

You know, there really is a niche in the market for cheap, low watt, metal tube amps. Every thing is expensive and loud. The Krank is the only thing I can think of.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Mabe if you save some money and get a Mesa F-30. Not that high of wattage and can get pretty heavy.

Its not that I don't have the money, just I dont wanna spend it.

Dude, You're asking for features that I'm looking for with a two grand budget and still have difficulty finding exactly what I want. :P

There are no cheap TUBE amps that do good distortion AND cleans very well, very few that do at least either well.

There are NO cheap TUBE amps that do distortion AND cleans very well.

There are NO cheap TUBE amps that do distortion very well.

There are NO cheap amps that do distortion very well.

Sorry bro.

-Can
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
Quote by CrushedCan
Dude, You're asking for features that I'm looking for with a two grand budget and still have difficulty finding exactly what I want. :P

There are no cheap TUBE amps that do good distortion AND cleans very well, very few that do at least either well.

Sorry bro.

-Can

Didn't say I wanted anything perfect. Especially cleans. I don't want cleans "very well"

If you could stretch it a little, maybe a Peavey Mini Colossal.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by CrushedCan

Sorry bro.

-Can

Wrong. Distortion for what he wants won't be obtainable with a 5 watter, but that doesn't mean a cheap tube amp (like a Crate V16) can't get some sick distortion tones.
look into blackheart or epi vj and the metal pedal of your choice. you can get a good metal tone at low volumes like this.
Save your money dude. Used Mesa F-30/attenuator, Bugera series/attenuator. Dont get a Blackheart for "metal", it'll leave you feeling very one dimensional. When I want to practice low volume high gain stuff i'll plug in my Cube 30X.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Would a valve king and a pedal not work?

There are ValveKing 112 out the wazoo on ebay for 200-300, some with Celestion V30s. Then I could get a pedal, right?

Or should I go for the 212 for the presence and resonance knobs?

Last edited by Pinky19 at Aug 10, 2008,
I've heard some great hi-gain, moderate volume sounds from both the Tiny Terror and the Blackheart amps but you will need a boost pedal of some kind.
It's a matter of opinion really on how "metal" you are looking to get. The JSX Peavey Mini Colossal would be an option, but it sells for $500 new. Maybe a used one if you can find one? Or there is the V16 and a pedal or VK and a pedal option, but in the end, with speaker swaps, tubes, pedals etc, you may just be nearing the 500 mark. (Although I think the crate is a better option of the two, naturally has a fair amount of gain). And for $550, you can get the Randal RG50tc and be infinitely more happy. But, your back at 50 watts and LOUD AS HELL!!

I think I may have just talked myself into a JSX mini...
I have o problem buying the valveking+a pedal, just which VK? The 212 has presence and resonance knobs, so are those useful?Or I could get the little giant halfstack/combo and some pedals

Last edited by Pinky19 at Aug 11, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Valveking isn't really voiced for metal.

You want a cheap amp for metal? Not going to find a low wattage tube one.

Go solid state..

or get a bigger amp. I'd recommend a Randall RG50TC.

My friends wasn't all that bad.... And I had that about that randall, but wouldn't that be WAY to loud?

Not sure they're available in America, but the Ibanez Valbee might be exactly what your after. 5 watt tube aimed at higher gain music....
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Well with tube amps they usually go from whisper quiet at one to "omgwtf" loud at two. Even though the amp isn't really being pushed, you aren't getting the best sound.

If you're looking for a metal amp for bedroom use, you may be better off going SS. If you're going to be jamming or have understanding neighbors the Krank will work fine.

This may not be what you want to hear, but I think for what you need, you already have it. You have one of the best available moderately-priced amps that will get you okay cleans & decent distortion tones at bedroom volumes.

If you go tube, it will be much, much louder, even with attenuation. Unless you fork out some cash for a higher-end SS amp, you've probably already got one of the better ones already.

My advice is to save up for a tube amp combo that will help you play with others, and play at home if people can tolerate louder volumes than is typical on your microcube. A used Mesa F-30 maybe?
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's not that it's bad, I just don't think it does metal all that well.

Why would the Randall be way too loud? The Valveking is a 50 watt combo...So is the Randall RG50TC...

I had the Valveking 212 at a volume that would work at for me. SO maybe a 50 wat amp will be just fine =) Thanks, I never noticed the watts on the VK

So far I've been recommended a VK with speaker swap and a pedal, a Randall 50Tc, and that Krank. The Krank being my last option due to price. Which would be the best?
If the VK, 212 or 112? The 212 has the presence and resonance knobs but is more, and then what speakers and pedals?

Page 1 of 2