I got a new guitar teacher and for the first month i did many scales/exercises to wipe my fingers into shape and build speed. I can now play fairly fast not as fast as John Prettucci but i mean im fine with my speed. He just showed me CAGED chords and how each chord has a like box position in the scale, and then he showed me the pentatonic lead pattern ( I don't know if thats like actually theory or like a run that he likes to do to go up an octave lol) But im not practicing as much because these things i don't really know how to practice. I pretty much just learn them then i apply them. So does anyone know more stuff like this that i could learn and where i could get the information from. I know i could get so much better if i knew what to learn. every time he introduces something like that im like YOU COULD DO THATT?!?!?!? i get the feeling this is common sense stuff too lol

Retard-Ya, and if you put jelly on your peanut butter sandwich it tastes better.

Me-OH MY GOD IT DOES!!
First I'd suggest establishing what you want to learn, just saying you want to learn seems a bit broad. Then you could check the lessons out on this site, or on musictheory.net, justinguitar.com or wherever.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
First I'd suggest establishing what you want to learn, just saying you want to learn seems a bit broad. Then you could check the lessons out on this site, or on musictheory.net, justinguitar.com or wherever.

+1.

Also, if you don't know how to practice, have him help you out -- you're paying him and you should be able to determine what you get out of the lessons.
I want to improve my improvising. Not just solo but ya i want to improve that too. But i want to be able to make up awesome riffs at the drop of a hat. I want to be able to do something like in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mifSfkKh0VU i like how he does some cool riffs and it sounds like he does a lil improv on a scale then back to riffin. Isn't that called like having good chops? im not totally sure. so what should i learn like more scales or something?
Last edited by Shecter78787 at Aug 10, 2008,