and it doesnt sound quite right. It hurts my hand to play them and I have to press really hard to make it sound remotely right. Any suggestions or help?
Beware : I am honest, but not brutal
Well this is what I do to make it sound good. Instead of using the bottom of your finger to hit the strings, rotate your finger so that it makes a half circle with the fret. This makes it so the bony part of your finger is hitting the strings. Then I sorta use my thumb as a clamp to apply the pressure (find what thumb position is comfortable when you do that). Do that on all the strings ( I started with the 6th fret because it kinda felt natural) and don't worry about hitting the other notes in the chords until you got that down.
Make sure that your wrist isn't overly twisted so that your index finger isn't lifted off the strings/make sure that your thumb is pressing tightly against the middleish of the neck, not chilling with your index at the top of the neck (it doesn't really matter where it is as long as your hand is comfortable and the strings sing but that's just a common reference given to players learning barre chords). I have a double jointed thumb so I push down with the base of my thumb when I'm playing barre chords but that's just me.
Practice just playing with your index finger barred across the strings, each string separately and then figure out what's wrong and fix the problem. Just keep practicing and you'll get it eventually...
use the advice from the posts above, and also,
are you using a slim neck?
if so, it won't be harder to play but hand cramps are induced
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by Gormanilius
and it doesnt sound quite right. It hurts my hand to play them and I have to press really hard to make it sound remotely right. Any suggestions or help?

That sounds normal, they are hard at first.

To make it a bit easier practice them around the 5th or 7th fret, fretting is easier there...the F barre chord on the low E is the hardest one to get the hang of.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Gormanilius

Been there. I remember those days. Before long it will be so easy for you. A lot of stuff is hard at first, but if you just keep practicing practicing practicing you'll master it. I know it sounds like a cliche, but it just happens to be true.