I've grown up playing other people's guitars, just goofing around and pretending to know what I'm doing. I've just recently(two months ago) decided to actually start playing guitar. See, I'm a lefty but I only have access to right-handed guitars right now; the strings being righty too. Despite this setback, I've been able to learn the following:

(Intros/main riffs) tears in heaven, layla, sunshine of your love, blitzkreig bop, do you remember rock n roll radio, mother, carry on wayward son, house of the rising sun, dont fear the reaper, one, enter sandman, tangerine, blackdog, stairway, heartbreaker, moby dick, spiderman, ghostbusters, california(the OC), beat it, smooth criminal, snow(hey oh), californication, the middle, let it be, here comes the sun, day tripper, stand by me, story of my life, reptillia, frere jacques, twinkle twinkle, happy birthday, over the rainbow

Full songs: kiss me, misery business(unplugged), hideaway by Freddy King, almost lover, angel and some songs i wrote

I don't have any difficulty playing like this, but I've been told to switch the strings. Should I switch them and learn all over again or would it not hurt to continue?
Quote by Smale
I've grown up playing other people's guitars, just goofing around and pretending to know what I'm doing. I've just recently(two months ago) decided to actually start playing guitar. See, I'm a lefty but I only have access to right-handed guitars right now; the strings being righty too. Despite this setback, I've been able to learn the following:

(Intros/main riffs) tears in heaven, layla, sunshine of your love, blitzkreig bop, do you remember rock n roll radio, mother, carry on wayward son, house of the rising sun, dont fear the reaper, one, enter sandman, tangerine, blackdog, stairway, heartbreaker, moby dick, spiderman, ghostbusters, california(the OC), beat it, smooth criminal, snow(hey oh), californication, the middle, let it be, here comes the sun, day tripper, stand by me, story of my life, reptillia, frere jacques, twinkle twinkle, happy birthday, over the rainbow

Full songs: kiss me, misery business(unplugged), hideaway by Freddy King, almost lover, angel and some songs i wrote

I don't have any difficulty playing like this, but I've been told to switch the strings. Should I switch them and learn all over again or would it not hurt to continue?

Well, it never hurt Albert King. It might be tough if you learn from tabs, but learn by ear and it won't be bad
Yeah just stay that way. It's not the "normal" way to play, but it's not the wrong way either. Hendrix and the dude from the Beatles both used righty guitars and switched the strings, but if you are comfortable the way they are now, keep it that way.
if youve ever seen Roger Waters of Pink Floyd's dvd In the Flesh Solo Tour,... his guitarist plays the same way you do...
Your not a Lefty. There is no such thing as being a "lefty" on guitar natrually. Its Just the way you first pick up the instrument. I am left handed but I play guitar correctly. Think of it this way: There are no Left handed Pianos, trumpets or saxophones and Left Handed people play those instruments just fine. Do your self a favor and learn to play correctly now before you get too far along. The way you play now it will be difficult for you to read tabs, Voice certain chords, find a teacher, show your buddies something you made up, or steal licks from people.

That being said I have a friend that plays the way you do and he kicks my ass. But he has had to over come all the hurdles I mentioned above and he can't voice a M6 or #5#9 chord as easily as me.

My advice is learn to play Correctly "RIGHT" handed and save your self a lot of trouble.
Sig What?
Quote by darth awsome
Your not a Lefty. There is no such thing as being a "lefty" on guitar natrually. Its Just the way you first pick up the instrument. I am left handed but I play guitar correctly. Think of it this way: There are no Left handed Pianos, trumpets or saxophones and Left Handed people play those instruments just fine. Do your self a favor and learn to play correctly now before you get too far along. The way you play now it will be difficult for you to read tabs, Voice certain chords, find a teacher, show your buddies something you made up, or steal licks from people.

That being said I have a friend that plays the way you do and he kicks my ass. But he has had to over come all the hurdles I mentioned above and he can't voice a M6 or #5#9 chord as easily as me.

My advice is learn to play Correctly "RIGHT" handed and save your self a lot of trouble.

I agree. I'm left handed and I chose to do it right. It doesn't inhibit me. I'm damn good.
Just play how you're comfortable. When I play guitar its not about form or anything its playing in the position that you feel the best in. If I ever got lessons I'm sure the teacher would get after me about the way I hold it. Besides, it never hurt Jimi...
i know (heared of a few ppl who play like that) and it will impress when u start gettin more into it in the future if u start a band. And some of those songs are actually kinda tough and in two months thats not bad at all. its actually kind of amazing really.

so go for it, dont change whatever u do because it makes you unique and will be an interesting fact once you become super famous.
The singer for my band does everything left handed, except for playing guitar..its just the way he learned..
some people are misunderstanding what he said, but the advice is still mostly good. he's already playing right-handed and wondering if he should switch to left handed or string it up left handed.

darth awsome hit the nail on the head, there's really no need to play left handed at all. it just makes it more difficult for you and any other guitarists you play with if you play it left handed.