Long time no post!
So Im in Chicago now and I just got my lovely Schecter Stiletto Elite 5 stringer(new thread with pics and sound clips when Im back home) and I started walking the streets and I got to this jazz resturant/bar where they play jazz everyday and on sundays they have jam sessions.
Cut a long story short they convinced me to come(mostly cuz Im eager to play the tham thing) and play, problem is, I never had a jazz jam session.....
I know how to walk(Scales,chord arps and chromatic walking) but Im not very good at it(I mostly play metal). I dont have my amp or my notebook here either.
So I was wondering if u guys have any tips on how to have a tight jam session or any exercises(or standards) to play.

Cheers.
It really all depends what type of jazz you're playing, most typically in jazz you'll be expected to walk, so if you're not very good at that, practice! However if you're playing a fusion style of jazz, in a jam you can normally get away with funking it up.

The biggest thing though is to listen what other people are playing. If you hear someone playing a repeated rhythmic and/or melodic pattern, pick up on it and react to it. Also something that's nice to do, if someone's soloing, or even sometimes in the melody, see if you can come up with an answer. most of the time if it's in the middle it *shouldn't* be fully resolved, and there'll be something to pick up on.

The best way to see what to play is to listen to as much jazz as you can then transcribe any bits that you like the sound of. In terms of standards: Autumn Leaves, All The Things You Are, Summertime, On Green Dolphin Street, Body and Soul and Stella by Starlight.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Thx mate!
Actually the link in your sig helped me the most, its very useful!
Since I am currently playing with a few jazz musicians right now, I'll comment that Sinan has given you really good advice.

The only other piece of advice I'll add is listen. Not only to the music and the other musicians when you play, but what they are willing to teach you. Most of the jazz folks I know that play semi or professional are more than willing to pass on constructive criticism and advice to younger or less experienced players. The situation that you have the opportunity to join used to be much more prevalent in the past and was a normal part of the mentoring of new players.

I've learned more playing with the guitarist and drummer I'm jamming with now than I did in a theory class or jazz book. Its a golden opportunity and you'll come out a much better musician as a result.
sounds like a good opportunity, anarkee is right, youll learn alot from it
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...