Page 1 of 2
i'm not really all that educated on the whole global warming crisis that's been going on. enlighten me please...
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
Humans pollute with greenhouse gases (carbon dioxide from cars and factories and stuff, methane from cows, etc)
The raising level of greenhouse gases causes more heat to be trapped in the atmosphere
Higher tempertures can result in melting glaciers, the raising of the sea level, and climate change.

I wrote a huge paper on the issue if you really want to read it, it's about 7 pages typed and printed, double spaced and 12 font OMG HUGE PARAGRAPHS:

The man ran inside his apartment for a breath of fresh air. The air pollution aggravated his asthma and the heat outside was absolutely unbearable. The man sat on his couch to watch TV. He switched to the news and watched in horror as he witnessed yet another flood take the lives of many. This has not happened yet, but the continuous pumping of greenhouse gases into the air is going to have an effect on the Earth and its population. These gases are slowly increasing the Earth’s average temperature, strengthening the greenhouse effect, and changing the climate. The effects of global warming are certainly dangerous, but if nations around the world work hard enough, the global warming problem can be solved.
Before learning about the aspects of global warming, the greenhouse effect must be thoroughly understood. The greenhouse effect is a process of the Earth that traps heat in the atmosphere. The gases that trap the heat are called greenhouse gases (Pringle 11). One of the two most common gases is carbon dioxide, which is released by burning fossil fuels like coal and petroleum. Everyday activities like driving a vehicle is a common releaser of carbon dioxide. Another common gas is methane, which is released from livestock. Production of cattle for food is a common cause of the release of methane (“Climate” sect. 7). Human activity has increased the concentration of greenhouse gases in the Earth’s atmosphere. As a result, the greenhouse effect intensifies, trapping a greater amount of heat in the atmosphere (Pringle 11). A 30% increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere in the past 200 years has resulted in a one degree increase of the global average temperature (“Science” para. 2). The last ice age was only nine degrees cooler than today (“Climate” sect. 1). Why is this bad? A direct result of higher temperatures is higher needs for cooling buildings (sect. 18). As more energy is used for cooling, the cost of cooling rises, power consumption increases, and more greenhouse gases are released at the power plant. Another result is the melting of permafrost – frozen soil – in cold areas like Alaska and northern Russia (sect. 21). If buildings were built on this permafrost, they would become potentially unstable. A third result of higher temperatures – which is, perhaps, the most frightening – is the melting of glaciers.
Since temperatures have been rising over the past 200 years, glaciers around the north and south poles have been shrinking (Pringle 7). These melted glaciers have no where to go but straight to the ocean, causing the sea level to rise. Jonathan Overpeck, director of the Institute for the Study of Planet Earth at the University of Arizona in Tucson, tells about the effects of a rising sea level: “The maps show that three foot rise would swamp cities all along the United States eastern seaboard. A twenty foot sea level rise would submerge a large part of Florida.” (Lovgren para. 5) The computer modeled maps Overpeck created do show accurate results. However, the sea level will not rise twenty feet any time soon. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), an organization in the United States that protects the environment, knows the truth about the rising seas:
In the last century sea level rose five to six inches more than the global average along the Mid-Atlantic and Gulf Coasts…. The Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change (IPCC) estimates that the global average sea level will rise between seven inches and two feet in the next century. (“Climate” sect. 16)

According to the experts in the EPA and IPCC, there is little chance the sea level will even raise three feet. Although New York is not going to be swamped, there are still negative effects of melting glaciers and rising seas. The Arctic is affected most by global warming, so the most melting is occurring there. This results in less ice available for wildlife. Animals such as polar bears and seals depend on the ice to survive (sect. 18). Another result is the rising possibility of floods (Pringle 7). Five thousand square miles of the United States coasts are within two feet of the high tide line (“Climate” sect. 16). Coastal cities will be more prone to storm surges and flash floods than ever before. Fresh water rivers will become infected by salt water from the oceans. Ground water will also be affected by “salt water intrusion.” (sect. 17) Beaches will be eroded. These beaches matter because they act as protection against harmful ocean waves and storms. Costs of damages are said to increase “102%-200% for a three foot rise” of the sea level (sect. 16). Although cities aren’t going to drown, there are still dangers from a smaller rise in sea level.
A change in the climates around the world is a third result of global warming. Climate is not day-to-day weather. Climate is the overall average weather conditions in a given area. Although natural climate changes, such as an ice age, are inevitable, global warming is caused by man and can be stopped (Pringle 8-9). As the climate gets warmer, organisms that favor colder climates will be forced to more northward. The locations of forests and the types of tree in the forest will change. This could become a problem for the timber industries that cannot change their location in correspondence with the forests (“Climate sect. 14). The unique wildlife that is located in a national park may have to move away from the park’s habitat. The water supplies available, soil moisture and rainfall patterns will have an influence on the food crops’ ability to grow in a given area (sect. 13). Warmer climates also bring deadlier diseases. Malaria and yellow fever are two dangerous diseases that favor warm climates. The possibility of an extreme heat wave will also increase (sect. 12). Increasingly powerful hurricanes are another result of climate change. It is already evident that hurricanes have become more powerful with visible results of storms such as hurricane Katrina. As the oceans get warmer, hurricanes will increase in power (Burdeau para. 10). The ocean current that brings warm water from the equator to Europe is also at risk. This warm ocean current, called the Gulf Stream, is responsible for giving Europe the climate that it has (Davy para. 5). Emma Davy, an author for Weekly Reader, explains the process that warms Europe, “As the warm, salty Gulf Stream water surrenders its heat to the air, it becomes colder and denser…. That sinking of cold, dense water draws more warm surface Gulf Stream water northward.” The process that does this is called thermohaline circulation. Thermohaline circulation is totally dependant on the water being dense and salty. Glaciers are made of fresh, less dense water. If a significant amount of fresh, glacier water invades the Gulf Stream, the thermohaline circulation process will be threatened and Europe will become drastically colder (para. 7).
Above continued

Despite all this information, there are still people that do not believe global warming is occurring. Senator James Inhofe, former chairman of Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, says, “…could it be manmade global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it.” (West para. 7) More than 19,000 scientists have signed a petition from the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine saying that “there is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of … greenhouse gases is causing… catastrophic heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth’s climate.” (Bast para. 6) Disbelievers say that if there were a small amount of global warming, it would actually be beneficial. The Medieval Warm Period from 800-1200AD allowed great advances in civilization. The Vikings were able to settle in Greenland (para. 10). Computer models are also said to be inaccurate and too drastic. The programmers make “flux adjustments” that can drastically increase the effects of global warming (para. 8). If countries around the world were to make ‘the switch’ to clean energy, many jobs would be lost (para. 12).
The disbelievers of global warming have obviously been misguided by false information. An increase of temperature, decrease in the size of glaciers, and rise of the sea level was actually recorded! Al Gore, environmental activist and former Vice President, tells about the false information by saying,
There are many who still do not believe that global warming is a problem at all. And it’s no wonder; because they are the targets of a massive and well-organized campaign of disinformation lavishly funded by polluters who are determined to prevent any action to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions that cause global warming out of a fear that their profits might be affected if they had to stop dumping so much pollution into the atmosphere. (Gore para. 5)

Those who don’t believe in global warming are victims of polluters that want to make money without stopping their pollution of the air. The minor groups of scientists and polluters may not believe, but major organizations around the world, such as the United States EPA and the IPCC, are believers (West para. 5). Major oil companies have also acknowledged the threat. BP, one of the largest oil companies in the world, says, “There is an increasing consensus that climate change is linked to the consumption of carbon based fuels and that action is required now to avoid further increases in carbon emissions as the global demand for energy increases.” (para. 15) Shell Oil, one of the leading oil companies in the US, says, “Shell shares the widespread concern that the emission of greenhouse gases from human activities is leading to changes in the global climate.” (para. 17) If countries around the world worked to expand their alternative energy industries, it would actually create jobs (“We” sect. 3). Wind, solar, and geothermal energy are great sources of clean energy. Increasing the efficiency of energy will help decrease greenhouse gas emissions and save money (sect. 2). These are great solutions, but global warming cannot be solved by one person. Everyone around the world must work together (sect. 4). Companies have already started to produce more energy efficient cars and alternative fuels. If the 1908 Model T got twenty miles to the gallon, modern technology should be able to get much more (sect. 6).
With all these threats of harsh weather, changing climates, rising seas, and high temperatures, it may feel like global warming can never be stopped. However, changes are already taking place. Increased energy efficiency and alternative fuels are already coming into the picture. With more alternatives to fossil fueled energy, global warming can be solved. The whole world will need to work together to stop the oncoming threat of global warming. The world must work to save itself.

REFERENCES

Bast, Joseph L. “Eight Reasons Why ‘Global Warming’ Is a Scam”. Heartlander 1 Feb
2003. 15 Apr 2008 <http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artid=11548>.

Burdeau, Cain. “Global Warming Enters Hurricane Debate”. Associated Press 24 Jan
2008 <http://0-discover.prod.sirs.com.elibrary.mel.org:80/discoweb/disco/do/
article?urn=urn%3Asirs%3AUS%3BARTICLE%3BART%3B0000271506>.

Climate Change US E.P.A. 14 Mar 2008. US E.P.A. 2 Apr 2008
<http//www.epa.gov/climatechange/>

Davy, Emma. “The Big Chill”. Weekly Reader 6 Dec 2002. 11 Apr 2008 <http://0-
Discoverer.prod.sirs.com.elibrary.mel.org:80/discoweb/disco/do/article?urn=urn
%3Asirs%3AUS%3BARTICLE%3BART%3B0000163750>.

Global Warming Quotes. Woopidoo.com. 11 Apr 2008 <http://www.woopidoo.com/
Business_quotes/global-warming.htm>.

Lovgern, Stefan. “Warming to Cause Catastrophic Rise in Sea Level?” National
Geographic 26 Apr 2004. 27 Apr 2008 <http://news.nationalgeographic.com/
news/2004/04/0420_040420_earthday.html>.

Pringle, Laurence. Global Warming. New York: Arcade Publishing, 1990.

Science FAQs | cooler heads. 2008. CEI. 18 Apr 2008 <http://www.globalwarming.org/
Primer/scienceFAQs>.

We Can Solve it. 2008. We Can Solve It. 2 Apr 2008 <http://wwwn.wecansolveit.org/>.

West, Larry. “Is Global Warming a Hoax?” About.com 2008. 4 Apr 2008<http://
Environment.about.com/od/faqglobalwarming/f/gw_faq_hoaz.htm>.
Quote by Maidenfan066
It's a story written by Al Gore if I remember correctly

I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Maidenfan066
It's a story written by Al Gore if I remember correctly

/thread.
this just might be me being retarded but if i have a cup, and i fill it halfway up with water, and then put ice to make the water level reach the top of the cup, and leave it out so the ice would melt...the cup wouldn't overflow...the water level would go down...why would'nt it be the same with the planet earth...
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
global warming is a natural cause...humans cause less then 1% of it. hasn't anyone noticed the global temp. goes up and down? Ice age...Then it warmed...Then a less drastic ice age.....then it warmed...etc.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
a story made up to force people to buy Prius'
UG Radio

Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
Thine Behold one rollin?
Quote by _T_H_R_I_C_E_
Lo, and the other lads be hating,
gallyvanting around,
attempting to catch me cycling in an unsavory fashion.

XBL: Panzyz

PSN: Dasan104
Quote by MattAnderson111
global warming is a natural cause...humans cause less then 1% of it. hasn't anyone noticed the global temp. goes up and down? Ice age...Then it warmed...Then a less drastic ice age.....then it warmed...etc.

Exactly, it's just a stage.

Consider it Earths puberty.
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
Quote by stackedxactor
this just might be me being retarded but if i have a cup, and i fill it halfway up with water, and then put ice to make the water level reach the top of the cup, and leave it out so the ice would melt...the cup wouldn't overflow...the water level would go down...why would'nt it be the same with the planet earth...

Ice on land falls in the water.
As for natural causes, scientists have examined ice samples in glaciers. They figured that the deeper down the ice is, the older it is. It shows that recently the average temperatures are rising. But they are infact rising against the natural flow of temperatures that have been estimated or whatever long times ago.
a single volcano eruption releases more carbon dioxide than the entire human race does in a whole year.
also it makes up a very small portion of our atmosphere and isnt nearly reflective enough to cause the greenhouse effect.
scientists believe global warming is most likely a natural cycle caused by sun spots.

amidoinitrite?
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Quote by Maidenfan066

What happens when Earth becomes an adult?
A U S S I E
Quote by Maidenfan066

ok Earth, your body is going through some changes.....you might feel hot at times but you have to fight the urges and not let the molten lava explode out of you

oh and you might grow bushes in certain areas....but dont worry its natural
UG Radio

Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
Thine Behold one rollin?
Quote by _T_H_R_I_C_E_
Lo, and the other lads be hating,
gallyvanting around,
attempting to catch me cycling in an unsavory fashion.

XBL: Panzyz

PSN: Dasan104
Quote by Jcore44

We'll be too dead to find out, I'm sure it'll take a while.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Jcore44

it starts to wrinkle up
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Actually, there was a fellow at ANU (Australian National University) who did research on this and has an entire paper that basically says "It's not CO2, it's water vapour"

I don't have a copy though, I only heard about it through my sister (she goes to ANU)
Quote by heavyairship
a single volcano eruption releases more carbon dioxide than the entire human race does in a whole year.
also it makes up a very small portion of our atmosphere and isnt nearly reflective enough to cause the greenhouse effect.
scientists believe global warming is most likely a natural cycle caused by sun spots.

amidoinitrite?

The rise of CO2 in the atmosphere is gradual and small and will only raise our average temperature a few degrees or so in the next hundred years. Something like that.
But the last ice age was only a global average temperature of a few degrees below our current average temperature.

And wow, 6.5 billion years and NOW puberty comes along?
Quote by MattAnderson111

Notice that these natural causes usually take more than ten of thousands of years, not a few hundred?

Seriously, climatologists who have studied the climate for a longer time than most pit users have been alive are more believable than the "JUES DID 911" crowd in an internet forum.
Let's all jump on the GLOBAL WARMING IS FAKE bandwagon without doing any research, yay!!!
zzzz
Good thing GM is doing the E-85 thing and cutting truck/SUV plants and making more fuel efficient.
Honestly people, fixing global warming via your car is a win/win situation. If you get a more fuel efficient car, you in turn use less gas and save money, while doing less damage to the environment.
Quote by RPGoof

And wow, 6.5 billion years and NOW puberty comes along?

That makes no sense. A planet =/= a person. If anything, find the average "life" of a planet (until it explodes or is no more, not until it is uninhabitable), then juxtapose it with the relative average life of a human. Puberty will occur at a certain percentage of a human's life "completion", so take that percentage and carry it over the the average planet life, and you've got your celestial puberty right there.

EDIT:

Let's not resort to bandwagon talk, there's as much a "bandwagon" for pro-GW as there is against it.
Quote by Pauldapro
Last edited by Chris_Parker at Aug 9, 2008,
Quote by RPGoof
Let's all jump on the GLOBAL WARMING IS FAKE bandwagon without doing any research, yay!!!
zzzz
Good thing GM is doing the E-85 thing and cutting truck/SUV plants and making more fuel efficient.
Honestly people, fixing global warming via your car is a win/win situation. If you get a more fuel efficient car, you in turn use less gas and save money, while doing less damage to the environment.

While I have done quite a bit of research on global warming (I had the most pro left Environmental Science teacher last year) and I personally believe it to be a myth, I do agree that we should be looking to be more energy efficient.

And by the way, my family owns 2 Prius'. So to everyone else, don't diss on them for coming out of the fact that human's need more efficient machines.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Iron_Dude
And by the way, my family owns 2 Prius'. So to everyone else, don't diss on them for coming out of the fact that human's need more efficient machines.

Efficiency in any system is a marvellous thing.
Quote by Chris_Parker
That makes no sense. A planet =/= a person. If anything, find the average "life" of a planet (until it explodes or is no more, not until it is uninhabitable), then juxtapose it with the relative average life of a human. Puberty will occur at a certain percentage of a human's life "completion", so take that percentage and carry it over the the average planet life, and you've got your celestial puberty right there.

EDIT:

Let's not resort to bandwagon talk, there's as much a "bandwagon" for pro-GW as there is against it.

Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
Quote by Maidenfan066

I know, I felt bombastic. I was just pointing out how stupid it sounded saying that it took a long time for Earth to get into "puberty" as any sort of comparison.
Quote by Pauldapro
As a side note, is it strange, considering my opinion, that I actually liked An Inconvinient Truth? As far as film-making goes, it was a very well made documentary.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by RPGoof
Ice on land falls in the water.
As for natural causes, scientists have examined ice samples in glaciers. They figured that the deeper down the ice is, the older it is. It shows that recently the average temperatures are rising. But they are infact rising against the natural flow of temperatures that have been estimated or whatever long times ago.

2000 years is nowhere near long enough to establish an accurate assessment of what is natural and what is not.

to be accurate in that sort of graph you need several million years of data, prefferably several billion.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by Boogie Man at Aug 10, 2008,
Quote by Boogie Man
2000 years is nowhere long enough to establish an accurate assessment of what is natural and what is not.

to be accurate in that sort of graph you need several million years of data, prefferably several billion.

Thank you to someone with sense, I can't believe people fail to see that.
Quote by Pauldapro
Quote by Chris_Parker
Thank you to someone with sense, I can't believe people fail to see that.

Yeah it is kind of ridiculous the way everyone seems to think that 2000 years is a long time.

Nice avatar by the way
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Boogie Man
2000 years is nowhere near long enough to establish an accurate assessment of what is natural and what is not.

yeah I know I just coudn't find a graph. I know I've seen one (in the Al Gore movie, he's got one) where it compares the temp levels of the Ice Ages, normal temperature rises, and the recent Global warming rise.
the government lies to manipulate us im thinkin since we r runnin out of oil and **** they made up global warming to scare us and make us buy a prius or sumthin so they dont run out of oil or sum stuff like tht
Quote by Boogie Man
Yeah it is kind of ridiculous the way everyone seems to think that 2000 years is a long time.

Nice avatar by the way

Why, thank you!

It's gotten me some cool priviledges, like in one thread not too long ago, a guy was having some trouble and Delirium and I were the most credible because we had "Doctor" avatars.
Quote by Pauldapro
no way man global warming is sooooo totallyhappening. Juts like the Y2K was and if you recall correctly, genocide was in fact the right way to go. and dudes, u leik totally cant forget the threat thatsposed by THE BOOOOOOMB and them bloody terrorists.
Quote by bassplaya1
the government lies to manipulate us im thinkin since we r runnin out of oil and **** they made up global warming to scare us and make us buy a prius or sumthin so they dont run out of oil or sum stuff like tht

Yes..You figured it out. Once we all drive Priuses, then we will be under their control!

Besides, if this was really a conspiracy, wouldn't it benefit a "new world order" or whatever more to downplay global warming? After all, the oil peak is not a myth, and once it occurs there will be incredible instability in the world. A perfect chance for a power to come in and take over. Getting the world off oil would provide at least some degree of stability to the world.
Quote by MattAnderson111

Exactly. It has to do with the Earth's orbit and **** like that. Pollution is a small factor, and cutting down on pollution is a good thing, but the earth isn't going to flood.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by RPGoof
yeah I know I just coudn't find a graph. I know I've seen one (in the Al Gore movie, he's got one) where it compares the temp levels of the Ice Ages, normal temperature rises, and the recent Global warming rise.

Do you really think that we know exaclty how hot is was 500 years before thermometers were even invented?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
Do you really think that we know exaclty how hot is was 500 years before thermometers were even invented?

Yes, Yes we do. its something to do with the ice core record. any way the holoscene maximum (hottest period ever) didnt killl off the whole planet, we didn't flood! 80 degrees (F) in the winter! i think that al gore should be ashamed of himself for inventing this bull.

oh and some scientist on richard and judy said that "unplugging a phone charger for a whole day saves as much energy as running a car for one second"
Yeah i finally got round to all this, so, what shall i put here?

*insert hillarious ego boosting qoute here*

THE GAME
you just lost it
Quote by SG Man Forever

Yes..Scientists drill out ice samples deep in the arctic ice that date back hundreds to thousands of years. From these ice samples, they can determine the global tmperature.
Quote by SG Man Forever
Exactly. It has to do with the Earth's orbit and **** like that. Pollution is a small factor, and cutting down on pollution is a good thing, but the earth isn't going to flood.
Earth's orbit and **** like that?
Well, I'm convinced.
Page 1 of 2